Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24865 - 12/13/03 03:01 PM rca "y" adapters
ernda1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just a question for you experts--Does using one of those gold plated right angle rca "y" adapeters (in order to split an audio output) result in any signal loss to each of the divisions that would be noticeable? (eg, split my only vcr audio outputs so I can connect it to the inputs of a DVD recorder and to the TV or 950?)
Thanks

#24866 - 12/13/03 03:57 PM Re: rca "y" adapters
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
I split the audio out on my cable box, with one branch going to my 950 and the other branch going to a separate amp and pre-amp I use for around-the-house music. Yes, there is a signal loss which is audible. For me, the problem was solved using a Radio Shack amplified splitter.

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

#24867 - 12/13/03 04:57 PM Re: rca "y" adapters
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I did this as an experiment once to split the surrounds from a 5.1 pre/pro to get to 7.1. I didn't notice any detrimental effects.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#24868 - 12/13/03 09:19 PM Re: rca "y" adapters
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Splitting the output of a piece of equipment and sending it to two inputs will not generally cause degradation. Under no circumstances however should you combine two outputs from any two pieces of equiment or the same piece of equipment.

This is because the low source impedance of the outputs will load each other and cause loss of output, distortion and possible damage to the electronics.

#24869 - 12/14/03 01:16 AM Re: rca "y" adapters
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Splitting the output of a piece of equipment and sending it to two inputs will not generally cause degradation. Under no circumstances however should you combine two [b]outputs from any two pieces of equiment or the same piece of equipment.

This is because the low source impedance of the outputs will load each other and cause loss of output, distortion and possible damage to the electronics.[/B]

Agreed, except if done properly, as in the case of the mono bridging of an amp.

I've never been a 'Y' jack kind of guy. Hook up for stereo subs or discrete RB and LFE subs if you have 2 or 3. The results in either case will far exceed a 'Y' jack.

#24870 - 12/14/03 12:14 PM Re: rca "y" adapters
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Yes, you are right about the amp connection. I should have included the proper way to do a combining of two line level outputs, but it needs an adaptor that is not commercially available to consumers. This basically includes a "buildout" resistor in series with both of the line output "hot" leads of a value high enough to not load down either output. This can built from a standard "Y" adaptor by placing a reisitor of around 4k7 in the hot lead of both sides of the "Y".

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts