Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24808 - 12/04/03 12:55 PM Calibration and bass
DMF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlantis
I've added a second sub. These run off a splitter from the LFE-out, so calibration tone should drive both and I can get the proper overall level.

But what about the bass level of the mains, which I have set to 'large' (they have good bass down to 32 Hz). How does the 950 figure overall bass level? By effectively subtracting the level that goes to the mains below the LFE crossover point?

Or does this have to do with the LFE signal not really being a "everything below crossover" signal as it's being used with "all small" systems today?

#24809 - 12/04/03 04:33 PM Re: Calibration and bass
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The two signals (mains and sub) should have separate information sent to them -- the subs will get LFE and low frequency from the small speakers, the mains will get the entirety of their assigned signal.

There are two scenarios where this ceases to be true, the oft-debated "double bass" conditions -- if you are using the six-channel analog inputs with the bass management switch set to "off" or if you are using the stereo bypass when your mains are set to "small." You are already safe from the second. If you are using the multichannel analog in (DVD-Audio or SACD), you might want to compare the results you get with and without the analog bass management turned on.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#24810 - 12/05/03 01:35 AM Re: Calibration and bass
DMF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlantis
Not using the 5.1 analog in (yet). I'll keep the DB issue in mind, though. Thanks.

#24811 - 12/14/03 06:04 PM Re: Calibration and bass
The Hun Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Riverside
The BM on the analog 6ch input has different crossover values IMO,[though it's not published],or at least sounds that way,when I switch between that or say the CD digital inputs.This is when all speakers are set to small,and the analog BM is "on".The bass sounds more "round" with the digital BM,which led me to believe,that the digital crossovers are higher order filters on the digital bm.
The reason I mention this because this may affect your comparioson.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts