Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24722 - 12/05/03 08:13 AM Re: 950 vs Rotel
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
DPL IIx -- or Dolby Pro Logic IIx -- is an extension of Pro Logic II (PL II). PL II has been available for a couple years, and offers 5.1 surround derived from a stereo source (TV, VCR, Dolby 2.0 DVD's, CD's); it is a significant improvement over the original Pro Logic, which produced just 4.0 (left and right, center, and a mono surround signal). PL IIx is an addition to PL II that adds discrete surround back channels, or 7.1. The 950 includes PL II and a separate bit of processing called Cirrus Extra Surround that produces a mono surround back channel from any 5.1 source (including PL II) which can be sent to one or two surround back speakers.

Personally, I would not wait for PL IIx unless there were other things that I was also waiting for -- it's too easy to let yourself wait forever to get the next new thing.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#24723 - 12/05/03 09:28 AM Re: 950 vs Rotel
Cozmo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the info/help Gonk. As I said in my last post, I am interested in setting up a HT and was looking at the 950/770 combo. I'm still trying to decide between these and the Rotel 1066/1075, the tuner and 7 channel amp for the lower price are pushing me towards the Outlaw units though.

#24724 - 12/05/03 09:33 AM Re: 950 vs Rotel
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
No problem, Cozmo, glad I could help. The 950's a great piece, and from everything I've heard about the 770 it's as good as or better than my older 750, which I'm very attached to.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#24725 - 12/05/03 02:17 PM Re: 950 vs Rotel
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
Quote:
Originally posted by Juan Cortez:
Also what do you guys think of the 950's 2 channel music preformance I heard it was a bit lacking and weak?

Thanks

Just to let you know, I've purchased the 950 and it is better sounding than the previous HT recievers I've owned. I'm comparing it to what I've owned and its predecessor was a very good piece of equipment. I listen to a lot of 2 chanel stereo music and I like it. The ONLY thing I don't like is the 950s inability to lock onto the beginning of a song when you first start the CD, or switch sources. But that has nothing to do with the sound quality...

#24726 - 12/05/03 11:39 PM Re: 950 vs Rotel
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Two more issues with the 1066 that I remember:

1) You have to hook up the pre/pro to your display to set it up. Can't use the screen on the pre/pro itself.

2) The Rotel has the "double bass" problem with the 5.1 analog inputs, and there is no way around it, unless you want to void the warranty and do some internal surgery on the unit yourself.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#24727 - 12/06/03 10:02 AM Re: 950 vs Rotel
danbry39 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Kevin,

You're right regarding the OSD.

Regarding the 5.1 multi-channel bass management fix though, we're in a grey area. I think that Rotel officials have communicated to Andrew Pratt that it is OK for one to do the resistor "snip" if one does it correctly. If not, then the warranty is voided. However, it is apparantly a pretty easy proceedure. At least this is my understanding. I could be incorrect. In any regard, Rotel will perform the fix for free for any units sent to them, costing the user approximately $20 in shipping costs and, to me more importantly, not having your unit for two to three weeks.

By the way, I was curious as to whether you have heard the Integra 9.4? Again, I haven't heard the Outlaw, but strongly feel the Integra is a very significant step up from the Rotel sonically. In fact, I'm pretty amazed by what it can do for the price I had to pay.

#24728 - 12/06/03 07:44 PM Re: 950 vs Rotel
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Last I heard, yes, Rotel will do the mod for free, minus shipping to them. (Unless you can get a local dealer to do it.)

But once you open it up, whether you do it right or not, no more warranty.

And just to be fair, there was always a few things about the 1066 that I personally liked: the appearance, no tuner, the xS modes that Rotel uses to expand 5.1 sources to a 7.1 speaker setup does give non-mono rears. The 950's are mono.

If I am remembering correctly (I looked at the Integara myself for a little while), one reason it might sound so good is that it uses Wolfson DACs. Pretty high end stuff for a pre/pro at this price point. Me, myself, and I: I am not a fan in general of Cirrus DACs (what the 950 uses).

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts