Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2471 - 07/12/02 01:05 AM 1050 DOA?
DonP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Goleta
I just received my 1050. It took a couple of days to get here because DHL confused the name of my town with Seattle. Outlaw can't help that. But imagine my added disappointment when I made all connections and hit the power button and NOTHING!!!

I have been trying anything I can imagine to get it to go. Any ideas?

------------------
Don

#2472 - 07/12/02 01:32 AM Re: 1050 DOA?
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Don, I am sorry to hear that. Just one thought, my 950 has a master power button on the back that needs to be switched before I could use it the first time. I don't own the 1050 so I can't really help much more than that.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited July 12, 2002).]

#2473 - 07/12/02 02:32 AM Re: 1050 DOA?
DonP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the help. I saw the master power button and turned it on in the rack, unplugged the unit for 5 minutes and started over. Still nothing.

Then, I disconnected everything took the 1050 out of the rack and put it on the kitchen table. Checked the fuse and plugged it in to another outlet and it worked!

I now have it reconnected and it is working normally. Thankfully I will not have to send it back!

#2474 - 07/12/02 02:57 AM Re: 1050 DOA?
DonP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

I just finished setting it up, listened to some DVD-Audio, a CD, tested surround modes with Shrek, got pretty good FM reception, got used to the remote, and there was a click and everything shut off.

I'm going to bed. I'll look at it tomorrow. Any ideas would be appreciated. I think it will be very inconvenient if I have to disconnect it and take it out of the rack after each 30 minutes of use...

#2475 - 07/12/02 07:47 AM Re: 1050 DOA?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Have you checked to see what else is on the circuit with it? If it worked fine plugged in to an outlet in the kitchen but didn't work when in place, you may be running into a problem with the circuit that you're using (or maybe even just the outlet, although that's not very likely). Quick test -- get a heavy extension cord and try plugging the 1050 into some other outlets in the house without moving it (save unhooking it again). Aim for ones that you know or think are on a different circuit. An extension cord isn't a permanent solution, but could be a good way to diagnose if the problem is related to the specific outlet or circuit.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#2476 - 07/12/02 08:03 AM Re: 1050 DOA?
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Don,

You say "... there was a click and everything shut off ...", do you mean the 1050 shuts off and all other components (e.g.; TV, VCR, DVD, etc) stay powered on? Or do they all turn off? Regardless, are they all on the same power circuit? What else shares that circuit - any appliances at all? Lights? Window A/C?

Does anything appear, or begin to appear, on the 1050's display when/as it shuts down? Something about "Protection" or something like that? I seem to recall someone had a bad unit that displayed something like that a year or more ago.

Lastly ... Call Mike or Scott at Outlaw Customer Service this morning. They'll take good care of you.

Good luck!

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#2477 - 07/12/02 10:46 AM Re: 1050 DOA?
DonP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies...

I did indeed try the unit plugged into an extension cord before puling it from the cabinet last night.

When things went dead it was the outlaw only. All other equipment on the circuit stayed up: TV, VCR, DVD changer.

The only things on the circuit are these items. I had it wired to handle my HT stuff.

The click sounded like a circuit turning off. Maybe a short is occurring, maybe the cabinet is too hot?, maybe I have a bad unit?

I unplugged the unit last night, and when I plugged it back in today it is again functional. I'll keep working on it, and call customer service next week.

#2478 - 07/12/02 11:02 AM Re: 1050 DOA?
DonP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Final update for awhile...

After turning the unit on this morning, I put on a cd and let it play at volume level of 25. It played into the middle of the 13th track and "click". I felt the unit in the cabinet and it is only moderately warm.

Maybe I'll call customer service today!

#2479 - 07/12/02 12:10 PM Re: 1050 DOA?
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
My first unit did practically the same thing. It played for awhile then "poof". I was told it was going into auto-protect mode for some reason. I had to return it unfornataly but, unit two has run perfectly since then.

#2480 - 07/12/02 01:19 PM Re: 1050 DOA?
synthfreek Offline
Gunslinger

I'm going for the obvious here. Are you sure that your speaker wires are not touching each other at the point at which they plug into the 1050? What speakers are you using? Do the ohms match with the 1050's settings?

#2481 - 07/12/02 09:12 PM Re: 1050 DOA?
DonP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The obvious is always a good place to start.

Yes, it is plugged into an operating outlet.

I talked to Scott this morning and he suggested checking for a shorted speaker wire. I am using banana connectors that don't appear to be shorting, but I will do a more thorough exam when I come back to town Monday.

I have Mirage FRx threes that are rated at 8-ohms. My "old" receiver is a Marantz 880 mkII and never had any problems like this.

My feeling is that trouble comes in 3's: I bought a stereo receiver off e-bay to drive my back yard speakers, it arrived dead, my video camera gave up the ghost, so I'm thinking that this is the third bit of trouble.

I should be good for awhile.

#2482 - 07/15/02 02:54 PM Re: 1050 DOA?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I had a 1050 do that to me after less than a month. I sent it back for a replacement, and the new unit has been fine (knock on wood) for months since then.

Perhaps there is an issue that affects a small percentage of 1050's and Outlaw finds it easier to just replace units as it occurs.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts