Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24657 - 11/24/03 10:16 AM A Year With My 950
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Hard to believe it's been some 15 months using this pre/pro.

I thought I'd offer some thoughts on the subject:

I use my system exclusively for MC listening DVD (DD, DD-EX, DTS, DTS-ES), SACD, DVD-A, DTS-CD and DTS/DD music video.

I run 2 subwoofers, 1 for LFE only and the other for redirected bass only.

The 950's built-in BM in 6 CH BYPASS is the best feature. It's extremely accurate, easy to connect, calibrate and trim.

It's been the best year for audio, for me, in 30 years. The price still amazes me. The people at Outlaw have been immediately responsive to my every whim. This Forum has been a source like no other I've ever experienced to being able to squeeze every dollar's worth from a high-tech electronics purchase.

The discussions here have broadened my appreciation for the production and reproduction of music, my first and closest interest, and in particular, multichannel music...the new frontier.

Basically, it's been a great experience, and, as many people have said here, there is no way you can go wrong with the purchase of a 950 pre/pro.

Gonk...a million thanks for your amazing help.

SH...stereo subs are on the list and specific results will be posted when available...thanks for the info on this and many more subjects.

Everyone else...too numerous to mention without omission...equal thanks.

Outlaw Audio's entire staff...what can I say? You guys are simply the best.

#24658 - 11/27/03 07:22 AM Re: A Year With My 950
Ellen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East of the Rock, West of the ...
Quote:
I run 2 subwoofers, 1 for LFE only and the other for redirected bass only.

May I ask how you have this set up in your system?

#24659 - 11/27/03 09:45 AM Re: A Year With My 950
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Yes, you may...

It requires a player with 6 (5.1) analog outputs.

Run a cable from the player's SW output directly to subwoofer #1. You may need a preamp to boost the signal, depending on the output strength of your player and input sensitivity of your sub amp.

The other 5 cables go to the 950's analog inputs.

The 950's analog outputs go to the respective amps/speakers. The 950's SW output goes to subwoofer #2.

This way, when in 6 CH BYPASS mode, the LFE signal remains discrete and is played by it's own subwoofer.

Subwoofer #2 plays only redirected bass, which is filtered @ 80 Hz by the 950's analog Bass Management (switched 'ON'). This is, of course, because no LFE signal is input to the 950 in the first place.

If you use a preamp that has a signal indicator LED, you can now instantly tell if and when there is LFE in the mix. (You can buy a Mic Preamp on-the-cheap from Zzounds, Musician's Friend, etc. if you don't have one lying around).

Advantages:

1. You can adjust the LFE signal's volume seperately from redirected bass, on-the-fly, to suit your subwoofer's abilities and/or your listening taste.

2. The demand on each sub is drastically reduced, allowing reference level reproduction from less capable subs.

3. You get the full LFE signal, if you prefer, because it isn't filtered by the 950's 80 Hz crossover. You can even use your sub's HP output, if it has one, and add an LFE satellite for those few Hi-Rez MC discs that use the .1 channel for a 'height' channel or simply have full range info in the LFE track.

4. It's much easier to blend sub #2 with your sats, and then blend the LFE into the mix to taste. You can even mute the 950 and play only the LFE track to optimize the playback for any given source.

Disadvantages:

1. You have to manually adjust the LFE volume as it won't be controlled by the 950's remote.

2. You need a player that has good DACs.

Note: If you use the 950's DACs (via digital connection), most players will output the LFE through BOTH the analog AND the digital outputs at the same time, which will send the LFE to BOTH subs. This is akin to 'Y' jacking the 2 subs, except that sub #1 will not contain any redirected bass, while sub #1 will contain LFE+redirected bass.

Remember to set all speakers to 'large' and sub to 'yes' in the player's menu.

This setup only works optimally when in 6 CH BYPASS mode.

The best thing about this setup is that you can have a 'musical' sub for redirected bass AND a 'movie' sub for LFE in the same system.

Well...you asked.

[This message has been edited by bossobass (edited November 27, 2003).]

#24660 - 11/29/03 10:38 AM Re: A Year With My 950
Ellen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East of the Rock, West of the ...
Interesting setup. Thanks for the detailed description.

#24661 - 12/01/03 10:05 AM Re: A Year With My 950
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Bosso,

What DVD player did you end up with? My Denon 2900 is quite satisfying although I prefer my Sony 70ES CD player for Redbook CDs.

#24662 - 12/01/03 11:32 AM Re: A Year With My 950
bossobass Offline
Desperado

DB,

I have a Denon 5900, sitting in a box, until I move my setup into my newly built MC AV space.

In the meanwhile, I use the Sony NS900V that I've had for a couple of years.

New speakers, new subs, plasma screen, 5900, DVI, 7-500W amps, custom built LF router/pre/crossover/phase, high quality 2-way active x-over (to give SH's stereo subs setup the proper once over), new cables, 2 Tripplite LCR2400 line conditioners, each to it's own 20 Amp home run...all in their own, sealed 3200 cu ft room.

And sitting smugly at the center of it all is the venerable, works perfectly as advertised since day 1, 4 years left on the factory warranty, doesn't hiss, no-dot, garish green buttoned Outlaw Audio 950 Preamp/Processor.

All is well in Bosso-world

#24663 - 12/02/03 10:59 AM Re: A Year With My 950
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Oh man!

Can I come over? I'll bring my bass.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the 5900 and how you end up setting it up.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts