Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24647 - 11/22/03 05:07 AM Problems using analog inputs + surround mode on 950
erikb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, USA
Hi all;

I have a potentially dumb question. I have a 950/770 setup and have been using it for a few days. I had my DVD player connected directly via the analog DVD inputs; My problem is that the _only_ way I get audio out of this is if I set the 950 to BYPASS mode. Any surround mode just produces light static/interference. Same goes for my Tivo, also directly connected.

Tonight I reconnected the DVD player using the Coax Digital inputs, and everything worked great.

Any idea why the analog inputs don't seem to be functioning at all in surround mode?
I can figure out what the configuration problem would be. Hardware issues?

Thanks in advance,
Erik

#24648 - 11/22/03 09:04 AM Re: Problems using analog inputs + surround mode on 950
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
The 6 channel analog inputs can only be used as a bypass of the 950's internal DSP. The signal being input only receives tone and volume control. Hook up the optical or coaxial digital signals to get all the other modes.

#24649 - 11/22/03 10:21 AM Re: Problems using analog inputs + surround mode on 950
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It sounds like your inputs may be set to a digital input when you are trying to use analog (if I remember correctly, several inputs default to a digital input from the factory) -- the reason that you are only getting sound in stereo bypass mode is that it overrides the digital input and automatically uses the stereo input. For the DVD, I'd strongly recommend using the digital output from the player for DVD's -- it's the only way to get Dolby Digital and DTS material.

For each input, check the bottom left corner of the 950's display -- if you have stereo analog audio cables connected, it should say "ANALOG", and if you have a digital cable connected it should list the input you connected it to ("COAXIAL1" or "OPTICAL2", for example). If you are using the analog input and it says something other than analog, use the digital input button on the remote or the front of the 950 to scroll through the options until you get to ANALOG.

Oh, and there's also the 6-channel analog input that keta mentions -- you can connect some DVD players to that input, but it's really only needed for DVD-Audio and SACD players because those multichannel formats can only be output from the players as analog signals (six of them, to be exact).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited November 22, 2003).]

#24650 - 11/22/03 04:29 PM Re: Problems using analog inputs + surround mode on 950
erikb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies. I'm not using the 6 channel analog inputs (my DVD player has no onboard decoder). I had the DVD player connected directly to the DVD channel analog L/R inputs, set to use the ANALOG input. I got it to work by connecting the digital output from the DVD player to the COAXIAL2 input and setting DVD to COAXIAL2..

I'm having the same issue with VIDEO1/ANALOG and the Tivo... hrmph. Starting to think my pre-amp may be broken.

-Erik

#24651 - 11/22/03 08:36 PM Re: Problems using analog inputs + surround mode on 950
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
just remember this
if you have digital outputs on the source(DVD player, CD player etc) hook them up to one of the digital inputs on the 950. THEN be sure when you choose the source on the 950, that it is using the digital input that is coming from the player...
The only time your using bypass is if your source has analog out to each of the channels and I'm guessing thats not the case with you. REREAD THE 1st 2 sentences and enjoy

#24652 - 11/22/03 11:24 PM Re: Problems using analog inputs + surround mode on 950
erikb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Right; The digital inputs work great. Now that I have an interconnect there to the DVD player, it's unlikely that I'll ever use the analog inputs again. My problem is: they don't appear to work. I _should_ be able to plug the analog inputs from the DVD player in and have it work, albeit with a limited set of surround options. Static and popping are probably not what I should expect. Unless I'm missing something, the 950 appears to be broken. Just had a friend try the same setup with his 950 (Tivo to analog inputs), and no problems.

Thanks for the replies..
-Erik

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts