Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2449 - 07/09/02 12:18 AM Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I've got two questions: one easy and one a little more complicated, so here goes. First the easy one:

1) Is there a way to turn on the night mode via the remote or can I only engage it via pushing the button on the 1050?

2) I've got the "dreaded" sub hum. I realize that there are some products to eliminate this issue, but I need further clarification please. First of all I will list my components to help out a bit.

My 1050 is using an outboard amp for the main channels. There is also a cd player (analog hookup), dvd player (toslink), and satellite receiver/PVR (toslink) hooked up to my system.

The hum appears to be a ground loop hum and only eminates from the subwoofer.

What type of product should I purchase to elminate this issue and where exactly should it go? I've read that frequently this is caused by cable or the satellite receiver.

Thanks,

#2450 - 07/09/02 09:38 AM Re: Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
Fletch Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Libertyville, IL, USA
On my system the HSU VTF-2 sub has a 3 prong plug. I put a 3 prong to 2 prong jobby on and the hum disappeared. The first thing I would try to do is to eliminate all 3 prong plugs if you can.
Fletch

#2451 - 07/09/02 09:59 AM Re: Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
My experience is that ground hum most often comes from your CATV system. It's not always the culprit, but it's what I'd check first. Disconnect the CATV wire from the wall and see if the hum goes away; if so, get a ground loop isolator and put it between the wall and your componentry.

I'd avoid defeating the three-prong plugs on the basis of safety. If your equipment were meant to operate with two prongs only it would have come with a two prong plug.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#2452 - 07/09/02 12:07 PM Re: Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Matthew, where is the best place to pick up a ground loop isolator? Can you recommend a particular one or other specifics? I noticed somewhere else on the web that there are a variety of these things.

Thx

#2453 - 07/09/02 03:26 PM Re: Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
Fletch Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Libertyville, IL, USA
I tried putting one of those 75ohm to 300 ohm to 75ohm in the line and no signal got to the satellite box. I'd be interested in hearing if one of those existed for the higher frequency satellite signal.
Fletch

#2454 - 07/09/02 03:33 PM Re: Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

BTW, I am still looking for an answer to queston #1.

Thx,

#2455 - 07/09/02 04:06 PM Re: Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
bruning1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: phoenix, arizona
I just gave the remote the once over and tried every button and it doesn't look like the night function is duplicated anywhere on the remote. It does seem that they would have included it on the remote to make life a little easier. Then again if you have to get up to put a DVD in the player I guess you could switch it into night mode while you're there.

I still don't know what the heck DOWN MIX is.
Somebody fill me in please (I'm going to feel dumb aren't I)

Anyway there's the answer to your first question. I sure hope I'm right.

#2456 - 07/09/02 10:09 PM Re: Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
AlexH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenville, MI
Downmix is when you sent your DVD to play 5.1 info but set your 1050 to say 3 stereo, stereo, etc.
I believe that is correct.

[This message has been edited by AlexH (edited July 09, 2002).]

#2457 - 07/30/02 01:47 PM Re: Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
PhilF Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

"Night Mode" is still a little bit mysterious, just as its name indicates. It came out a couple of times somehow, but I don't know what the hell it came from, and I tried every buttons on the front panel and remote, but never got it when I needed it.

Does anyone know the trick?

#2458 - 07/30/02 02:04 PM Re: Two Questions: sub hum & night mode
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There's a "NIGHT" button on the 1050's face. It's a round button in the bottom edge, near the left side. That will turn night mode on and off. As for what it does, it is supposed to preserve dialog clarity and volume but reduce the level of "loud" stuff (such as explosions). According to the manual, it only works for Dolby Digital audio, so trying to turn it on or off while listening to any source other than a DVD will probably not seem to do anything -- not even turn on the "NIGHT MODE" indicator on the front.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts