Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24534 - 11/12/03 11:41 PM Stereo 5
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Howdy gang!
There are times when I would like to use the "stereo 5" (i.e. party mode)on the 950 but it won't let me. Since I don't use a center channel the 950 doesn't offer stereo 5 as an available surround mode. As long as center speaker is set to none, stereo 5, and stereo 7 for that matter, are not available to me.
Does anyone know of a workaround to trick the 950 into engaging one of these modes with a "phantom" center??
Thanks

------------------
Tekdredger

#24535 - 11/13/03 12:00 AM Re: Stereo 5
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Since those modes just repeat the stereo channels through all the speakers, you can probably just tell the 950 you HAVE a center channel speaker.

#24536 - 11/13/03 01:47 AM Re: Stereo 5
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Tried that. It does allow me to select stereo 5 and the surrounds sound ok but the fronts get all the common signal sucked out. It sounds like a bad karaoke machine with a stereo signal and nearly silent with a mono input.

------------------
Tekdredger

#24537 - 11/13/03 08:55 AM Re: Stereo 5
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
tek,

Why don't you try the PLII-CR-M? That's what I use when I want 5 channels. I don't have a center, either. Granted, you don't get equal distribution of sound to each speaker, but you can use the PLII parameters to tune it to your liking. I moved the stage rearward and outward, and am very, very pleased with the immersive sound.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#24538 - 11/13/03 05:35 PM Re: Stereo 5
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Nostalgia:
tek,

Why don't you try the PLII-CR-M?

Nostalgia,

That's basically what I've been doing...don't really have much else to choose from. It works well for what it is designed for but it can be highly dependent/variable with the program material. For example, when watching sports on cable the surrounds are largely inactive during the game but really wake up when the latest gee whiz beer commercial comes on. I just feel kinda cheated that I can't use the stereo 5 mode when I feel it's appropriate just because I choose to not employ a center channel speaker.
For the record, I'm using large electrostatics (Acoustat 2+2's) for the front left and right. They image quite well and I've never felt compelled to add a center speaker. Getting a center channel to integrate with the electrostatics would probably cause more problems than it's worth. In addition, my system fires down the longer dimension of the room and we sit back quite a distance so the issues of off center listening are largely moot. Anchoring dialog to the screen (the primary reason for using a center channel) just isn't that much of an issue for our situation.

------------------
Tekdredger

#24539 - 11/13/03 05:51 PM Re: Stereo 5
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Just curious, have you tried out any of the Magnepan Center Channels. They're made to mate with ESL type speakers. It might be worth a try.

Good luck!

#24540 - 11/13/03 06:35 PM Re: Stereo 5
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by tekdredger:
It does allow me to select stereo 5 and the surrounds sound ok but the fronts get all the common signal sucked out.

I'm going to have to experiment with this. I assumed, without checking, that in 5 or 7 stero mode, the main L and R channels remain original stereo, with the surround channels merely carrying a copy of the respective L or R, and the only 'artificial' creation being a Center channel from the L and R information. Hmm. Yalearn somthinnew everyday.

If I didn't have an off-center listening situation, I'd be tempted to go without a center channel also. Occasionally, when I am the only listener and I'm in the 'sweet spot,' I will listen with the 950 set to no center.

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited November 13, 2003).]

#24541 - 11/13/03 09:03 PM Re: Stereo 5
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
Just curious, have you tried out any of the Magnepan Center Channels. They're made to mate with ESL type speakers.

I did look at Magnepan when they first started their home theater line but their first center channel speaker had some real deficiencies in the bass. Looks like the new model (MGCC3) has addressed that problem and is now spec'd down to 80Hz. No dealers in my area anymore so it would mean a road trip just to hear one. I also have some Acoustat panels collecting dust in the basement. I've had fleeting thoughts about experimenting with these panels for a DIY center channel. But again, I haven't felt a real need or desire for a center speaker...it's just that the lack of one is preventing me from using stereo 5 mode.

------------------
Tekdredger

Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM