Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24491 - 11/10/03 10:10 PM 950 Questions
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
First of all let me say that I couldn't be happier with my new 950/770 combo; really incredible components. Thanks to Outlaw Audio for allowing me into the high-end of HT. I've had these components for several months and although I've made all connections in my system, I've been watching/listening to DVD's and to Dishnetwork in stereo mode while I saved money for a new center channel. Well, I now have my new center, a B&W HTM1, which replaced my old B&W CC6. Wow! What an improvement. The HTM1 even puts my older FrontLR B&W DM640's to shame; so now I have to start saving again to upgrade my FrontLR speakers. Anyway, I'm now ready to calibrate my 5.0 system (no sub yet, I'm waiting for the LFM1), and I have a few questions.

1)With the 950 I can set different x-over points for each pair of speakers, which is a great feature. Why then do I need to classify each pair of speakers as large or small? Isn't this redundant?
2) Is it better to calibrate my system using the 950's test tones or by using my "Digital Video Essentials" DVD? I've used the older "Video Essentials" DVD in the past, and I recently purchased the newer digital version.
3)Should I set the speaker distances before calibrating with my sound level meter or after? The 950 manual says to do it after channel calibration, which seems backwards to me.
Thanks.

------------------

#24492 - 11/10/03 11:57 PM Re: 950 Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
1) Large or small identifies whether or not to use the crossover point -- large is full range, and therefore doesn't need a crossover.

2) You could always try it both ways, or if you are familiar with VE go with it. Either should work fine.

3) I set my distances before setting levels. Either works; since you are listening to each channel by itelf, the delays provided by the distances aren't a factor.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#24493 - 11/11/03 03:06 PM Re: 950 Questions
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

When I try to adjust channel levels using DVE, the 950-generated pink noise overrides the DVD's pink noise. So I set all channels using the 950's pink noise and then ran the dvd and the measurements were no where near the same. Any suggestions? Thanks

#24494 - 11/11/03 03:54 PM Re: 950 Questions
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
If I remember correctly, the "trim" selection on the remote for the 950 will activate the same level settings but without the 950's noise generator. You can adjust to your test DVD using "trim."

As to which is better, even slight differences in the content of the noise will cause you to hear different levels, probably because of system and listening environment issues. From here, I can't know which noise will work better for you. In theory, I would go with the DVD test because that signal passes through the whole system, not just at some point beginning part-way through. You may have to carefully adjust with the 950 noise, followed by listening to normal audio material for a while, then adjust based on the DVD test noise and repeat the same normal material listening check. After all, how the actual listening material sounds to you is the bottom line.

#24495 - 11/11/03 03:58 PM Re: 950 Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
This may be a silly question, but what volume setting did you have the 950 at when you did each? The typical approach around here is to set the 950's main volume to 00 dB before doing anything with the internal test tones. That should be pretty darned effective, but if you then changed the master volume while going through DVE you're guaranteed different results. Even if you don't change the volume, the DVE tones may be designed for a different dB level.

Another thought... Are the differences consistent across the board? (For example, you are 4-6 dB off on each channel using the two methods.) If so, I wouldn't worry about it, since the main purpose of calibration is to gain rough equality in volume from each speaker relative to the others.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#24496 - 11/11/03 04:14 PM Re: 950 Questions
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

I'm doing all my calibrating at 00db on the main volume, and setting all channels to 75db on my RS sound meter. The levels from the DVD did seem to be consistent across the board,just 4-5db lower, which gonk states really isn't the issue anyway as long as all channels are consistent. I tried adjusting trim levels while using the dvd and had some success, but the dvd noise was going to fast for me to keep up, so I decided to go with the 950's noise in the end. I'll continue playing around with both until I'm satisfied. Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by worldwide (edited November 11, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM