Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24481 - 11/07/03 07:36 PM Please explain video switching-the benefits
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
I have the 950 and my dvd player is currently connected directly to my tv via an svideo cable. I will be getting a HD tv that accepts component cables but I don't really understand what component video switching is all about.

I plan on just connecting my new component cable directly to my tv from the dvd player. What are the benefits of going through the preamp? I will also have my satellite receiver connected directly to my tv via svideo but will be using composite as well through the preamp so I can record. I can still get OSD through my monitor out on the 950 so I don't see the need to spend money on extra cables. Thanks for any input.

[This message has been edited by mdanderson (edited November 07, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by mdanderson (edited November 07, 2003).]
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#24482 - 11/07/03 08:49 PM Re: Please explain video switching-the benefits
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

You should be just fine the way you are planning to do it.

All else being equal, composite video is of lower quality than S-video which in turn is of lesser quality than component video. And except for just-catching-on digital connections like DVI and Firewire, component is what almost all consumers will use to transfer high def signals (as well as 480p signals from progressive scan DVD players).

Video switching is just that: switching between multiple sources. If you only have one component source, and already have the cable from your DVD to the TV, leave it as it is. Of course you need to switch both the 950 and your TV when changing sources.

But let's say your TV only has one component input and you add another source with one. Say a high-def sat box. Then you could run one cable from your 950 component out to the HDTV, and connect the DVD and sat to the 950 and let it do the work of switching between sources.

There will be no ultimate difference in video quality.

As has been noted in other threads however, there can be a difference in cabling costs depending on your layout. If your HDTV is far away from your 950 / DVD / sat, then it might be less expensive to run two short component cables to the 950, and one long one to the HDTV, than to run two long ones direct to the HDTV. And vice versa.

Choose whichever is most convenient - and least expensive - or not. As I said, there's going to be no difference in picture quality as the 950's component video switching is as benign as it gets.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#24483 - 11/07/03 08:56 PM Re: Please explain video switching-the benefits
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
Thanks so much Jeff for all your input and great information. This really helps me to understand the issue better.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM