Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24446 - 11/06/03 12:37 PM E-PROM replacement questions
matty1137 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've been a proud owner of the 950/770 for over a year now...First-time posting, long-time browsing of these message boards...

I have a couple of E-PROM replacement chip questions...I would greatly appreciate any feedback or answers anyone might have...

In regards to the E-PROM replacement chip to fix the "no LFE in DTS-ES" problem:

1. Is this the chip that does the decoding of DD, DTS, etc...?

2. The replacement instructions show a "square" chip, although the one I was sent is "rectangular", and can therefore only be positioned two different ways onto the board, with the notch-side down, facing the front, bottom of the chassis, or notch-side up, facing the back, top of the chassis. Which is correct?

#24447 - 11/06/03 02:58 PM Re: E-PROM replacement questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
1. There is a Crystal chip behind the coax digital inputs that had Dolby and DTS logos printed on it (the CS493263-CL), which I suspect is the main brain of the decoding, although this little chip we're swapping out is obviously involved somehow.

2. The chip being swapped out for the ES fix is rectangular. I don't have my copy of the instructions handy, so I don't recall what they said about which direction the notch goes (I seem to recall it saying, but it's been seven months or so since I did the upgrade on my 950). If you haven't pulled the old chip out, you can simply note where the notch is now; the replacement is physically identical, and will go in the same way. Looking at the original versions of a couple pictures I took and added to my review , I was able to get a look at how it was originally oriented. With the digital board in front of you and the inputs facing to the right (coax on bottom right, optical on top right), the notch is on the bottom left corner of its socket (notch side down, facing the bottom front of the chassis).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM