Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24431 - 11/05/03 04:06 PM House Struck by Lightning
Tim1951 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
My 950 along with most of my home theater were destroyed by a direct lightning strike. A local shop indicates that the 950 is totaled.

Would it make sense to have the Outlaws check it out to see if it is reparable?

#24432 - 11/05/03 05:19 PM Re: House Struck by Lightning
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
I had a lightning strike fry my systen a few years ago. Called the insurance company. Filed a claim. Bought my first Outlaw component. It was for me, a happy ending, or in some ways, the start of an expensive addiction

#24433 - 11/05/03 05:23 PM Re: House Struck by Lightning
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I would contact Outlaw support directly either through the new support center or by phone. They are usually most helpful...

#24434 - 11/05/03 06:03 PM Re: House Struck by Lightning
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Ouch Tim,

Sorry to hear, I hope you have good renters or HO's insurance. I would give Outlaw a call, they will help you if they can.

Firm believer in surge prot. in my eratic neighborhood its a required appliance. Nothing helps on a direct strike like yours (except a plug ...not in the socket).

I just lost half the outlets on my Cyber Power box through which my home office gear is all shunted. Time to shop again.
3 slots are now non-funtioning after several surges in my neighborhood last week. Goes to prove MOV's do wear out.

Best of luck sorting your HT out!

#24435 - 11/05/03 06:56 PM Re: House Struck by Lightning
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Comndolences.

It may be too late but ... always have full replacement cost home (or dwelling contents) insurance. My apartment mate learned that lesson 25 years ago in university when our apartment was robbed dry. My hi-end (for the day) stereo system was replaced with new state-of-the-art components because of a $50 ryder that I paid for on my parents' home insurance. He was uninsured and got nothing.

I would not even consider the "repair it" route since I've seen too many cases where the repair leaves residual gremlins that come back to haunt you long after the repair warranty / insurance claim time limit has expired.

If you are fully insured consider it a great opportunity for a gear replacement / upgrade. Even thunder clouds can have silver linings.

Jeff Mackwood

#24436 - 11/05/03 08:41 PM Re: House Struck by Lightning
Detroit Radio Knight Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Pontiac,Mi. U.S.A.
Sorry to read of your tragedy. I hope all turns out well. Please take the time to look over the audiophile line at: www.Brickwall.com
These products are very popular in storm-prone areas of Florida because they are virtually lightning proof and never wear out. Of course, you can pay Richard Gray a LOT more for his products but you won't gain any additional protection.(IMHO) The Brick wall site is very comprehensive in it's presentation of the science involved in surge suppression and the limitations of MOV's. Factor in that their audiophile line is VERY reasonably priced (about $200) and you have a "must own" for anyone with gear worth protecting. I use one to protect my line conditioner, A Tice Power Block 3C, (I know, it has built in surge suppression but it relies on MOV's for that) and I never worry about my gear getting fried when I'm away from home. I hope my $.02's worth proves helpful. Best Wishes,

Michael.

#24437 - 11/06/03 09:09 PM Re: House Struck by Lightning
Tim1951 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Thanks to all who replied.

The insurance will pay all but 20% of the replacement cost of the unit.

I have just ordered another one. The repair route would mean that I would have to wait longer to rebuild the home theater.

If the Outlaws want to study the effects of a major surge of power on a 950 then they are welcome to it.

#24438 - 11/06/03 09:50 PM Re: House Struck by Lightning
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim1951:

If the Outlaws want to study the effects of a major surge of power on a 950 then they are welcome to it.

If you are just going to toss the unit I am willing to take it off your hands. Contact me at the following e-mail address and we can discuss the details:

nelsonmarkl@hotmail.com

------------------
Tekdredger

#24439 - 11/07/03 02:40 AM Re: House Struck by Lightning
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
The Brickwall units are a no brainer, no matter where you are. They will never fail, period. I got rid of all devices that used MOV's in my system. Now I have total peace of mind with the brickwalls

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#24440 - 11/07/03 09:21 AM Re: House Struck by Lightning
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
Am I correct in assuming something like the Monster brand surge protectors that feature the equipment coverage around 100K, would cover this kind of damage? Seems like stuff like that would be well worth the investment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM