Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24419 - 11/04/03 12:21 AM Night listening mode
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
Can someone explain the night listening mode on the 950.

Mike

#24420 - 11/04/03 09:34 AM Re: Night listening mode
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
Mike,

It's my understanding that Night Mode "compresses" the dynamic range of whatever you're listening to.

OK, that didn't help much, what the heck am I talking about? Let's say you're watching something like T2. There are soft dialog parts and big honkin' explosions.

Let's say the soft parts are around 60db (just picking numbers). The loud parts are 85db. If you watch the DVD at night, and make the dialog loud enough for you to hear well, the explosions are going to be incredibly loud and wake the neighbors. Cool during the day, bad at night.

Night Mode "compresses" the sound by bringing the lows up a bit and the highs down a bit. So your dialog might now be 65db and your explosions 80db. Now when you get the dialog to a comfortable listening level, the explosions will be less loud.

Make sense? I think I got it right. The other Outlaws will correct me if I didn't.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#24421 - 11/04/03 10:53 AM Re: Night listening mode
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Nostalgia. That explains it perfectly!

Mike

#24422 - 11/04/03 04:11 PM Re: Night listening mode
Mayor D Offline
Gunslinger

I've heard folks complain a bit about the extreme differences in dialogue versus sound effects in movies. Turn it up to hear the dialogue, and get blown out of your chair with music or an explosion. Someone suggested using the night mode. Though it's designed for listening at night without disturbing others in the house, I've found it to work great all the time (it only works with DVD in Dolby Digital mode). It brings up the dialogue and tones down the "loud stuff". In my opinion, it doesn't negatively affect the quality of the listening experience at all. I think it's more enjoyable. I'm not constantly turning the volume up and down while watching a movie.

Mike D.

#24423 - 11/04/03 05:09 PM Re: Night listening mode
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
Right, Mayor. It all comes down to personal preference, and the Outlaw gives us the flexibility to do it

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#24424 - 11/04/03 07:18 PM Re: Night listening mode
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks again guys! All good advice. Now all I need to do is order the darn thing!

Mike

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM