Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#24387 - 12/14/03 06:09 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
The Hun Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Riverside
Never had this problem on my 3 950s I owned.

#24388 - 12/23/03 04:35 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
todd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Los Gatos, CA USA
I'm still having this same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution? It's giving me a headache.

#24389 - 12/23/03 06:36 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
I have tried various things to narrow it down........
it does seem pre-amp related, but with so few of us complaining about it I have to figure it might be something else.......
I am not one to do alot of experimenting, but I have tried switching cables, with no results....
I will have to try and switch amps....
Right now I have the 755 running the 3 front and 2 surround speakers, with a Fosgate 4100 amp (200 watts per channel, and a great amp I might add......)running the 2 rear surrounds......the right rear surround is where the problem is.........
Do most of us have separate amps running the "popping" channel???? Or 7 channel amps like the 770??? I don't believe it is the Fosgate amp, but the only way to be sure is the old switch-er-oo........what a pain!!!!
But the "popping-thumping" noise is a pain too....getting kinda irritating, and I would like to find out how to stop it!!!
We gotta keep trying to figure this one out......and, what to do about it.

#24390 - 12/24/03 10:26 AM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
My 950, and I am sure it is the 950, gives a low frequency thump when changing sources. I have an ICBM between the 950 and a 770. The 950 has all speakers set to large and the ICBM has all crossovers set at 80Hz. If the thump has frequency components above 80Hz, I have not noticed it in any of the loudspeakers as only the subs seem to respond to the thump. I suppose I could disconnect my subs and find out. I have not experimented to find which of the 950 (blue dot) channels may be contributing to the thump. It could be any one or more of the 950 channels, as the all the bass from any channel is redirected to the subs. The amplitude of the thump is not objectionable, so I have just been living with it. Has anyone contacted Outlaw and found out if this thump is to be expected, or is it a defect found only on a few 950's?

#24391 - 12/24/03 03:35 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
jgubman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Mateo, CA
I've got it too. I have an ICBM btwn my 950 and Earthquake Cinenova Grande and Audiosource Amp3 (for back surround) amplifiers. I get the thump from by back surround speakers, nothing from the speakers connected to the Earthquakes.
950 is set-up as all Large, Sub on (all x/o set to 120, which shouldn't matter, but someone said the 950 high-pass filters the LFE at whatever the x/os are set to. I assume this isn't the case if speakers are set to Large, but whatever). ICBM x/o is rear and back surrounds: 80hz, center: 60hz, front: bypass for 2-channel or 40hz for HT.

FWIW, the thump really only became objectionable when I connected the ICBM, which forced me to combine both L&R back surrounds into one channel in the ICBM and then resplit the signal at the amp. Makes sense that the resulting thump would be roughly twice as loud. Before I barely noticed.

And, for the record, the thump happens every time the 950 engages the digital-muting. So, if there's a ~3 second silence in between tracks on a CD (and I'm listening via digital instead of analog connection), I'll get the pop. Becomes really annoying during listening sessions, so much so that I've added an external DAC to my list of upgrades. Hopefully after christmas, I'll no longer be using the 950 digital input while CD listening.

#24392 - 01/17/04 03:54 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
Carver1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Has anyone been able to resolve this problem?

The unit I have behaves this way.

#24393 - 01/17/04 04:57 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
No.......no solutions yet....
I did e-mail Outlaws Service Dept...
this is the reply I received.......

"I would like to discuss the noise you have described, and offer some tips on pinpointing it's source. If the problem is only in one speaker, have you tried another speaker and cable? You would also want to try a different interconnect between the preamp and amp in the suspected channel. Are your speaker terminations tight? Have you tried different outlets? Obviously there are many other variables to this equation, so please contact me at 1-866-688-5292 between 9am and 5 pm Eastern time.
Thanks and regards,
Steve "

All very nice, basic stuff I think most of us have tried.........
I am still baffled.....and it is not going away....it sure is unusual that only a few of us seem to have this problem....if everyone complained that there was a little popping/thumping noise....that would be one thing.....but this makes me think something is wrong with the 950....but what?????
Is it worth the hassle trying to send back in????
Still debating that question......

#24394 - 01/17/04 06:58 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
Carver1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have had 2 units that have had this problem. I hear the pop in all the speakers. I'll talk to Outlaw on Monday and see what happens next.

#24395 - 01/19/04 04:14 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
miker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ca
I'm running an H/k 310 as pre/pro with 755 and I got the same popping sound from all 5 speakers, only when watching tv and change channels to a channel that isn't broadcast in DD.This started only recently when I up -graded my directv reciever.I've had the 755 for almost a year and have never heard this popping until the sat upgrade.

#24396 - 01/19/04 04:25 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
miker, your situation sounds like it is related to the new DirecTV receiver, possibly the interaction between the HK and the satellite receiver. If it is happening when the receiver switches from DD to PCM digital audio, it is possible that the HK is unmuting before it finishes re-acquiring the signal. The 755 is far enough downstream that it is not actively involved in the popping -- it's just doing what it's told and amplifying whatever signal it is fed.

As an aside, this could be an example of why Outlaw chose to leave the 950 with a bit more of a delay in acquiring digital audio signals than most of us would like to have -- it minimizes the chance of people picking up "transition noise" from changing processing modes.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts