Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#24377 - 11/02/03 11:36 AM Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
I get a popping/thumping sound whenever I change an input or a surround mode...always from the rear right speaker........not real loud, but a little annoying. Unit is only about 2 months old....gotta do a little more research to see if I can figure it out....narrow it down...have been living with it, and surviving, so far........ but thought I would ask here too...anyone had a similar kind of noise when changing inputs or surround modes???
Just curious......

#24378 - 11/11/03 08:52 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
hopkinstk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Same problem coming from my sub. See my post. Let me know if you resolve the issue. Mine is very loud, due to coming from sub output. If I disconnect sub-out it does not occur.

#24379 - 11/13/03 06:18 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
todd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Los Gatos, CA USA
I have similar problem. I have a popping sound which comes from my rear right speaker when I change sources or switch to bypass. If me rear amp is turned off, the popping comes from the center channel. Any suggestions?

#24380 - 11/13/03 07:50 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Interesting that two out of three of us had the right rear speaker involved......I am using a great old but reliable Fosgate 4100 Amp for my rear speakers (never did this before, so I am doubting it is the amp....right now anyway...), with the 755 handling the front three (with built in powered subwoofers) and surrounds.....I can't figure it out....asked Steve about it, and he wants to try all the obvious stuff first.....changing cables, wires, speakers, etc.....haven't gotten that far yet, but seems to be a pre amp thing...just a hunch based on......a hunch!!!!!
Well, with all of us working on this to try and figure it out I think we might actually get somewhere....I will have to try and see what happens when the rear amp is not on....just to see if my center channel starts doing the same thing.
I still love my 950/755 combo...feel like I got a Whole New System!!!! Everything is happier now....
except for that thumping/popping from the right rear.....
Hmmmmm.........

#24381 - 11/18/03 04:01 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
DMF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlantis
3 of 4. I noticed this immediately on setting it up. It's not loud, just noticable.

[Edit: Let me be more specific. Rt Surround. I don't have any rear speakers. Not sure what the surround mode was. I'll keep an eye on it.]

[This message has been edited by DMF (edited November 18, 2003).]

#24382 - 11/25/03 11:35 AM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
coto914 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Coto de caza, CA, USA
I just got back my 950 from blue dot upgrade and am noticing the the same popping on my right rear center. When the 2 channel amp(adcom 545) running the rear centers is off. the popping goes away. This was occuring durng cable channel changing and it happened when the iput signal changed from 2.0/0 digital to 3/2.1 digital or PCM. Our HDTV decoder is connected to our 950 via an optical connection. I have not verified that the same popping exists when switching sources (i.e dvd to cable or laser.) Anyone else having similar issues after their blue dot upgrade?

[This message has been edited by coto914 (edited November 25, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by coto914 (edited November 25, 2003).]
Adcom 535 - center surround
Mangapan mmg - main/rear/center
JBL HLS610 - center surround
Velodyne 1210 x2 - Subs
Pioneer DV-563
Mitsubishi 65" HDTV

#24383 - 11/25/03 11:32 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
Innovator Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Albany NY
Same here. Light pop when switching inputs or surround modes. Definately the preamp.

#24384 - 12/07/03 02:53 AM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
mennis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
I am hearing the same popping noise. It just started doing it. Mine is in the right front speaker. It is very distracting. It occurs when changing modes or several seconds after the stopping the source (ie dvd, cd, computer etc.)It does with both coaxial and optical connections. I have changed the wires with no change in the problem. This seems to be the preamp as the source of this problem. There is no popping/thumping noise during playback however only when stopping a source or change modes.

#24385 - 12/07/03 12:34 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Well, it seems by now that this is a real problem for some, and that it is Pre-amp related. I kinda was hoping everyone had a similar problem, that it was just the way the unit worked, but many must not have such a problem with the "popping" noise. Is it the Pre-amp, or are we doing something different or wrong that others aren't? At first I thought it was because we had separate amps for the rear, or "popping" channel, but now I am not so sure.
Why just some of us and not everyone??? It is an interesting problem....small, not an end of the world type problem, but a little annoying......
hopefully we can figure this one out.....
Back to the drawing board..........

#24386 - 12/09/03 09:19 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
Same here in surrounds. I even get it when running the Test calibration to check all my speakers. Changing amps and cables does not correct problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts