Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#24397 - 04/26/04 01:59 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
dklap Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: chicago
Same problem here - popping whenever the auto-mute circuit kicks in. When it switches modes, too long b/w tracks, even when changing presets on the tuner.

It only occurs with my rear/center amp - a Chiro C-500. The fronts, driven by an Odyssey Stratos, does not thump. I switched amps and the thump follows the chiro. Previously, I've used a Denon receiver as a pre-pro, and no thumps there. It's definitely the pre.

When I purchased thr 950, I went thru the same questions with Steve of Outlaw, and almost sent it back.

I've posted this issue on the Forum pages at audiogon.com , and one person suggested it could be related to leaky d/c.

anyway, let's keep this thread alive and find out what the issue is. I love my Chiro, and am very close to selling it. Can't handle the THUMP much longer!

- Dan

#24398 - 04/26/04 05:12 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Verification: Dan, you are saying that the 950 is doing something that the Chiro is sensitive to, but which the Stratos is not sensitive to? The Chiro will thump on any channel to which it is connected and the Stratos will not thump on any channel?

If so, and if we knew what the Chiro and Stratos were doing differently in their input stages, this would seem like a great clue as to the nature of the problem.

#24399 - 04/27/04 06:45 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
dklap Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

best bang - yes, it has something to do with the 950's compatibility with the Chiro. The thump does NOT occur with the Odyssey. If this enlightens any of you engineers out there as to possible causes of this extremely annoying problem, please post them.

I did track down the email address to Fred Pham, the head engineer of Chiro before it went out of business, but he did not respond to several emails.

I found some solace in reading I was not alone with this problem, that it is not unique to my situation. I find it curious that no one from Outlaw has posted any comments on this topic. Any way to let them know?

-Dan

#24400 - 04/27/04 08:34 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I believe I’m having the same problem but I don’t believe it is the 950. I have Comcast cable and a Motorola HD cable box. My first box would shut itself off in the middle of programs for no reason what so ever but I never had the clicking problem when changing from DD to regular broadcast. I finally got tired of the turning itself off problem and called Comcast for a new box. Now the new box doesn’t shut itself off but I have the clicking sound you are describing when I change from certain channels (DD to regular). My first guess is that something in the electronics of the Motorola box is creating a static discharge when I change channels. Any one else running Motorola gear? If not a Comcast cable box maybe a Motorola Direct TV box? Like I said it started when I received the new box so I don’t believe it is the 950. I hope we can pin this down because it is really annoying.

Lasher

#24401 - 04/28/04 05:27 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
dklap Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It also happend when my hughes direct tv box switches from pcm to dolby digital. this switch may be a bit louder than the other thumps I get over the Chiro channels, but I don't know if it comes out the fronts which are powered by the silent Stratos. Will test and repost.
- Dan

#24402 - 05/10/04 08:19 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
dklap Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thump occurs when hughes direct tv box switches from pcm to dolby digital in ALL speakers, not just chiro, which means that problem is definitely not the outlaw.

anyone heard anything?

-dan

#24403 - 05/30/04 06:45 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
phogandive Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fitchburg, MA USA
Hi,
Another possibility is if any input has a DC voltage on it, even a small one (I know...they shouldn't...but stranger things have happened), it will show up as a 'thump' when switching to/from that input.

Peter

#24404 - 06/01/04 03:24 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
seattleguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
It is DC that is causing the pop and it's exhibited by some amps and not others. It's dependent on the amplifier design. This is information I recently received from Aragon tech support. I contacted them because my Acurus amp does not pop but my Aragon does. If there is DC present, the Aragon makes a small thump when changing inputs. The Acurus is a different design and doesn't. It's not harmful to the amp.

#24405 - 06/02/04 10:22 AM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
Rambilt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX, USA
My 950/755 combo does not have the thumping noise when changing inputs at all but I get the thumping noise from my surround speakers everytime when I initially turn on the 950/775 set and the loudness of the thumping depends on how high the volume setting.
Rocket RS750 (surround)
SVS 20-39 PCI

#24406 - 06/09/04 12:03 PM Re: Thumping/popping sound when changing inputs, etc...
dklap Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Peter and seattleguy:

is the outlaw 950 not supposed to send dc output to the amp? In other words, is there something wrong with the Outlaw that there is DC going to the amp's inputs?

Considering you said: "I know...they shouldn't...but stranger things have happened" I wonder whether there is a problem with DC leaking from the Outlaw.

Is there way to alter a DC thumping amp to remove the thump? Or is this impractical/will lessen sound quality of amp...

Lastly, why do some amps exhibit the DC thump and others do not?

thanks for all of your info.

- Dan

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts