Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24370 - 10/29/03 10:09 AM Re: 21' interconnects too long for 950?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
What about soldering 12 gage speaker cable to spade and banana plug? Will it be better than crimping?

#24371 - 10/29/03 11:51 AM Re: 21' interconnects too long for 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiker:
What about soldering 12 gage speaker cable to spade and banana plug? Will it be better than crimping?

Soldering to spade connectors is better than crimping, but if your banannas have a compression screw type lug, you obviously can't solder these. You would need a large soldering iron to do it, like the "gun" types with a 100 watt element. Plus, obviously, you would need to have above average soldering skills.

The solder joint would need to be cleaned of flux with alcohol, as this flux can get onto the spade connector and limit contact with the spekaer terminal. It is a good idea to clean _all_ solder connections. I use Xylene to do this, but it is pretty nasty stuff if you're not careful.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 29, 2003).]

#24372 - 10/29/03 12:40 PM Re: 21' interconnects too long for 950?
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
While I agree that in automotive, and appliance production crimped connections are used for speed, and ease of assembly. This is not the case in aircraft. Neither speed or ease of assembly is considered in the aircraft industry. Reliability is paramount. The possibility of wires breaking when using soldered connections is very real. This is the reason that stranded wire is used rather than solid core wire in aircraft wiring harnesses.
There are some exceptions, but by and large this is true in all aircraft. Granted, the use of stress relief devices, loops, and slack in the design of wiring may partially mitigate wire breakage. These design elements are in use in aircraft, but you will find very few soldered connections in aircraft wiring harnesses. The design of printed circuit boards is another deal altogether. Mil-spec boards use soldered connections, but after assembly the boards are dipped in epoxy to help support, and secure the electrical components to the board. Just to put this in perspective I have been a licensed Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic since 1973. This does not mean I am completely correct, or the ultimate authority on this subject, but I have been at this for some time, and I have seen very few soldered connections in aircraft wiring for the reasons I have stated. Now, for the statement about things ruining your afternoon. This comes from my time as a UH-1 Crew Chief in RVN. Just a little gallows humor for those who were there.

#24373 - 10/29/03 12:49 PM Re: 21' interconnects too long for 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
The only reason I can see for using crimped connectors on aircraft would be the tendency of solder to wick up the stranded wires, which would stiffen them, making them easier to break under vibration. Other than that, wire doesn't know whether it is held in place by a crimp or solder, and a crimp connection would be succeptable to the same stresses as a soldered one if it weren't for the wicking effect of solder.

In audio use, I have had dozens of crimped connections become intermittent over the years, yet not one soldered connection has ever given me one bit of problem, even ones I made in the 1960s. The metal in a crimp connection can bend both ways, and loosen it's tension over time, expecially if done with the low quality crimp tools available to most consumers in hardware stores or places like RadioShack. Professional crimping tools are very expensive, but make as good a crimp connection as is possible.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 29, 2003).]

#24374 - 10/29/03 03:13 PM Re: 21' interconnects too long for 950?
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
"The only reason I can see for using crimped connectors on aircraft would be the tendency of solder to wick up the stranded wires, which would stiffen them, making them easier to break under vibration."

Soundhound, You have hit the nail right on the head. That is the reason that crimped connections are used rather that soldered connections.

#24375 - 10/30/03 12:40 PM Re: 21' interconnects too long for 950?
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
I am using 7 meter interconnects (app. 22.75') to connect to the power amp for my side/rear speakers. I am not having any problems and do not notice a difference with the front amp (3 meters) and center (1 meter). All are the same design interconnects.

As to the crimp vs. solder, I have used both in building speaker cables but have only soldered in interconnects. I would have to say I cannot hear a difference in the cables I crimped (with correct tool) and the silver solder ones. No problems or concerns with either. I still think I would prefer to solder interconnects.

[This message has been edited by OFCCM (edited October 30, 2003).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts