Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#24320 - 11/02/03 01:27 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
Slightly off topic here but since we are talking remotes I thought I'd bring it up... Has anyone seen the new One For All Kameleon? Cool looking remote, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Looks like you might wanna buy stock in the Duracell corp. before you buy it. Thoughts?

Mike

#24321 - 11/02/03 09:23 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Off topic? Bah. There's been one thread in the 1050 forum about it, and they do have a code for the 1050. It appears to work for the 950, too, based on this thread . There's also a review at RemoteCentral that might be worth a read.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited November 02, 2003).]

#24322 - 11/02/03 11:09 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
I bought one several months ago (before I got my 950) and had some success with my Pioneer vsxd810 as a pre/pro. It was able to control most of everything on it, but had to learn many functions. I did get the original remote out for things like channel calibration and such. Between learning and preprogrammed codes it pretty much controlled the most used functions of all my gear: sat box, DVD, VCR, CD changer (old Onkyo that never responded to anything but the original remote). There was a learning curve due to having to assign some functions to strange buttons (surround mode=TV/VCR ???). The curve got steeper when the family wanted to operate things, but they got used to it.

I found that while it was cool looking, and feeling, it's shape lends itself to slipping in between cushions and getting lost easliy. And yes, it chews batteries. I went through two sets in two months, although the three kids did have something to do with that-"it lights up when you touch it.....coooool!". I also kept it upside down during serious lights-out movie watching as the sub would set it off sometimes and cast a blue glow in the dark room.

I still have it and will probably use it in the secondary system downstairs when that comes together.

#24323 - 11/02/03 08:44 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
So balanced outputs make a "true" audiophile component? What does? Must it cost $10,000? I don't think the Outlaw is designed to be a top shelf, whiz bang, I-need-all-the-gadgets-because-I-can-afford-them "true" audiophile device. It's designed to be a holy-carp-how-do-they-give-me-all-that-for-$800?

As for ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's sleek and sexy, and the cosmetics were one of the reasons I bought my 950.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#24324 - 11/02/03 08:51 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
I suggest the usual double-blind listening test, but, generally, people who are deaf are disqualified and you can't see the prepros when blindfolded.

Quirk, schmirk. When I mash down them buttons, sound comes outta them speakers. Very good sound, at that. Every time, for 5 years, or else.

Put a bag over it's head and it looks like Gwyneth Paltro.

Sometimes it pays to be crass.

#24325 - 11/02/03 09:40 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
Quote:
Originally posted by VADER:
Hell, I have more coin in a pair of XLR interconnects than you chumps have in this so called AV processor-950!

And that's something to be proud of?

Seriously, if that's what makes you happy, have a blast. But there's no reason to go bashing other equipment just because it's not in your opinion the "best." Some people like to spend less money on equipment they can just plain enjoy, and not boast about how much they spent on an interconnect.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#24326 - 11/02/03 11:33 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Heh. Glad to know that you've found our forum of use to you, VADER. Chumps or not, I'm thoroughly satisfied with my investment. If I had the disposable income to buy an Anthem or a Lex, I might actually buy one. Then again, I might send that money elsewhere and still get the 950. There are a lot of audiophiles here with years (decades, to be more accurate) of personal experience with a thoroughly wide range of products, and some of those audiophiles own Outlaw gear. Why? Because there are and will always be a wide range of audiophiles, ranging from the "money is no object, price tag defines performance" extreme to the "going to individually select each piece, find the best value/performance product for each application, build it if I have to" extreme. Outlaw has attracted a good number of the latter group, and they are a pretty handy bunch to know. Oh, and I'm glad you're enjoying those thousand dollar balanced interconnects. Really, I'm proud of you. I, meanwhile, just finished watching a movie through my very nice "so called AV processor."

------------------

#24327 - 11/02/03 11:50 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
Gonk - I took a look at that review and the thread as well. I think I'm talking about a different Kameleon. That one you pointed out was the Radio Shack 15-2133 Kameleon. The one I was talking about is the One For All Kameleon URC-9960. Check it out and tell me what you guys think.

Mike

#24328 - 11/02/03 11:58 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
edav Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: minneapolis,mn,usa
Home Theatre Sound compares Outlaw Model 950 with Anthem AVM 20 ...

I auditioned the Outlaw Model 950 in my reference theater system where I compared it against the Anthem AVM 20. This is hardly a fair comparison -- or is it? It turns out that the Outlaw Model 950 holds up pretty well against one of the best home-theater surround-sound processors on the market today.

In seven-channel home-theater mode, the Outlaw is nearly a match for the Anthem, which is an astonishing discovery considering the fact that the Model 950 is nearly one quarter the price! The overall sound is a little leaner and cooler than that of the Anthem, but the difference is extremely subtle. If you were to ask which was more accurate or appropriate, I’d have a hard time choosing. Both have superb detail, imaging, and soundstaging, with the Anthem taking the lead by a very slight margin in each category. That being said, the differences are subtle enough that it takes high-resolution speakers to tell any difference at all.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/outlaw_950.htm

#24329 - 11/03/03 07:44 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I hadn't heard about another Kameleon remote popping up. It appears to add code learning, and there's even some macro support in there. I found a page of user reviews but haven't read through them all. J&R sells it for $70, and Circuit City has it for $90. That's getting into the price range for my MX-500 ( BlueDo sells it for under $100 last I checked -- here are a couple reviews ). With code learning and macros, it should be possible to set this Kameleon up to replace most or all of your remotes, and it is a pretty cool looking piece.

EDIT: Here it is for $62 . If you get it, I'd be curious to hear how you like it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited November 03, 2003).]

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM