Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#24310 - 10/26/03 07:19 PM 950 "quirks"?
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
On a recent post on the 7100 board (http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000051.html) Raiden mentioned "...the 950, even with its quirks, sounds great". I was just wondering if anyone could follow up on this statement. Not that it will in anyway affect my descision (I'm sold regarless), but I would kind of like to know what I'm getting into. Thanks all...

Mike

#24311 - 10/26/03 10:03 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Since I started this I will answer

Quirk #1
Display is hard to read across room due to color chosen for display and I do not like to turn TV on just to use OSD

If you have been listening to stereo and then switch to 6 channel for DVD audio or SACD the unit gets confused and just plays in stereo. You have to be in a 5 channel mode before you use 6 channel bypass to get all speakers

The remote is a pain if you want to use it for all your gear, I am constantly having to cover the front of remote with my hand to change the input so the 950 does not see the change. Lots of posts have mentioned this

However, the real reason for the 950 is the value and the amazingly good sound. That is why I put up with the quirks and did not send back after the 30 day trial.

Perhaps others could list their own quirks

#24312 - 10/27/03 12:53 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Raiden: As far as the quirks with the remote, aren't those known quirks that have fixable macros that allow you to use one button functions to turn on and off certain equipment without having the hassle of covering the front?

Mike

#24313 - 10/27/03 03:01 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The level of quirkiness depends somewhat on the user. I had three or four macros that provided my wife with straightforward on/off for TV watching and let me get around covering the front of the remote to listen to DVD-A's, which took care of me. I also labeled some of the remote's "surround mode" buttons with transport controls for the DVD player, which got around the problem of buttons that provided navigation and transport control. Over the summer I picked up a Home Theater Master MX-500 remote, which resolved even the most trifling quirks I had with the 950's remote.

My system is set up less than ten feet from the seating, and the display is quite readable for me, but as Raider indicates this is not true of everyone.

The bass management can often confuse people. Whether or not it's a quirk depends on the user -- most people elect to flip the bass management switch to "on" for the 5.1 analog input and then set the triple crossovers to what works best for them, with no further concerns.

The surround and surround back speakers share a single distance setting. If you are hyper-sensitive to delay settings, this could be a problem quirk, but aside from a vocal outcry about this during the beta test there's been only intermittent reports of this giving people real trouble.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#24314 - 10/29/03 10:09 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
Well I agree with a couple of Raiders quirks. The remote is a little awkward and the display is kind of small. But I also find that the 950 takes a long time to lock onto a format. When I change channels on my Direct TV it takes a few seconds to acquire the correct surround format. The same occurs on DVD's when it changes from menus to intros to the actual movie. Also I am on my third unit since I placed my original order back in June. The first unit had the fading display, and the second unit just plain crapped out (static on all channels in all formats).

With all that said, let me clarify one point. I still LOVE my 950! True, it represents the best bargain in separates. True, it sounds great. But the intangible here is the customer service. I would not have put up with all the problems if it wasn't for the more than positive attitude of Scott and everyone else. Each time I contacted them about issues they sent another unit, no questions asked. There were never any excuses, or procrastinations. Great people with a solid product. What else can you ask for?

#24315 - 10/30/03 12:40 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by VADER:
Bargain Separates, I never heard of anything so crass!

HUH??????

#24316 - 10/30/03 08:27 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Crass, crude, socially unacceptable, that's us. As for Outlaw and the bargain separates, well, that's just cool.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, VADER.

------------------

#24317 - 10/30/03 09:57 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
mmmm bargain separates

The only quirk I've come across with my 950 is the remote. I'm constantly turning the 950 on by accident. If the 950 is off and you press one of the mode buttons to control a different device (eg, if I'm watching TV with the 950 off and want to flip the VCR on to record something), the 950 pops on, turning the 7100 on, too. This can't be good for the equipment.

The only real gripe I have with the 950 itself is the digital lock-on issue. It's really annoying when listening to a CD and you miss the first few seconds of a song. I don't think even a "bargain" separate should have this problem.

Other than that, the remote and the 950 is excellent. I was listening to Linkin Park in 6.1 this morning while getting ready for work, and had to stop, sit on the couch and listen; it was that awesome.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#24318 - 10/30/03 07:40 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

I'd have to agree with Nostalgia about the digital lock on issue. It can get pretty annoying when the sat is acting up in foul weather. But MAN, it's still such a BARGAIN for a SEPARATE! I love it! I feel so....so......crassy!

#24319 - 11/02/03 12:27 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

While I'm sure that Anthem makes a great product (after all they are Canadian), there's a lot more required before one can "rule". For example: are you so comfortable with your own products that you have a web site forum where supporters of competitor's products can post "Competitor Rules" on it to their hearts' content? Just checked out the Anthem site. Did not find it.

Outlaw still rules!

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

#24320 - 11/02/03 01:27 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Slightly off topic here but since we are talking remotes I thought I'd bring it up... Has anyone seen the new One For All Kameleon? Cool looking remote, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Looks like you might wanna buy stock in the Duracell corp. before you buy it. Thoughts?

Mike

#24321 - 11/02/03 09:23 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Off topic? Bah. There's been one thread in the 1050 forum about it, and they do have a code for the 1050. It appears to work for the 950, too, based on this thread . There's also a review at RemoteCentral that might be worth a read.

------------------

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited November 02, 2003).]

#24322 - 11/02/03 11:09 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

I bought one several months ago (before I got my 950) and had some success with my Pioneer vsxd810 as a pre/pro. It was able to control most of everything on it, but had to learn many functions. I did get the original remote out for things like channel calibration and such. Between learning and preprogrammed codes it pretty much controlled the most used functions of all my gear: sat box, DVD, VCR, CD changer (old Onkyo that never responded to anything but the original remote). There was a learning curve due to having to assign some functions to strange buttons (surround mode=TV/VCR ???). The curve got steeper when the family wanted to operate things, but they got used to it.

I found that while it was cool looking, and feeling, it's shape lends itself to slipping in between cushions and getting lost easliy. And yes, it chews batteries. I went through two sets in two months, although the three kids did have something to do with that-"it lights up when you touch it.....coooool!". I also kept it upside down during serious lights-out movie watching as the sub would set it off sometimes and cast a blue glow in the dark room.

I still have it and will probably use it in the secondary system downstairs when that comes together.

#24323 - 11/02/03 08:44 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

So balanced outputs make a "true" audiophile component? What does? Must it cost $10,000? I don't think the Outlaw is designed to be a top shelf, whiz bang, I-need-all-the-gadgets-because-I-can-afford-them "true" audiophile device. It's designed to be a holy-carp-how-do-they-give-me-all-that-for-$800?

As for ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's sleek and sexy, and the cosmetics were one of the reasons I bought my 950.

-Joe

------------------

#24324 - 11/02/03 08:51 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
I suggest the usual double-blind listening test, but, generally, people who are deaf are disqualified and you can't see the prepros when blindfolded.

Quirk, schmirk. When I mash down them buttons, sound comes outta them speakers. Very good sound, at that. Every time, for 5 years, or else.

Put a bag over it's head and it looks like Gwyneth Paltro.

Sometimes it pays to be crass.

#24325 - 11/02/03 09:40 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Hell, I have more coin in a pair of XLR interconnects than you chumps have in this so called AV processor-950!

And that's something to be proud of?

Seriously, if that's what makes you happy, have a blast. But there's no reason to go bashing other equipment just because it's not in your opinion the "best." Some people like to spend less money on equipment they can just plain enjoy, and not boast about how much they spent on an interconnect.

-Joe

------------------

#24326 - 11/02/03 11:33 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Heh. Glad to know that you've found our forum of use to you, VADER. Chumps or not, I'm thoroughly satisfied with my investment. If I had the disposable income to buy an Anthem or a Lex, I might actually buy one. Then again, I might send that money elsewhere and still get the 950. There are a lot of audiophiles here with years (decades, to be more accurate) of personal experience with a thoroughly wide range of products, and some of those audiophiles own Outlaw gear. Why? Because there are and will always be a wide range of audiophiles, ranging from the "money is no object, price tag defines performance" extreme to the "going to individually select each piece, find the best value/performance product for each application, build it if I have to" extreme. Outlaw has attracted a good number of the latter group, and they are a pretty handy bunch to know. Oh, and I'm glad you're enjoying those thousand dollar balanced interconnects. Really, I'm proud of you. I, meanwhile, just finished watching a movie through my very nice "so called AV processor."

------------------

#24327 - 11/02/03 11:50 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk - I took a look at that review and the thread as well. I think I'm talking about a different Kameleon. That one you pointed out was the Radio Shack 15-2133 Kameleon. The one I was talking about is the One For All Kameleon URC-9960. Check it out and tell me what you guys think.

Mike

#24328 - 11/02/03 11:58 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
edav Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: minneapolis,mn,usa
Home Theatre Sound compares Outlaw Model 950 with Anthem AVM 20 ...

I auditioned the Outlaw Model 950 in my reference theater system where I compared it against the Anthem AVM 20. This is hardly a fair comparison -- or is it? It turns out that the Outlaw Model 950 holds up pretty well against one of the best home-theater surround-sound processors on the market today.

In seven-channel home-theater mode, the Outlaw is nearly a match for the Anthem, which is an astonishing discovery considering the fact that the Model 950 is nearly one quarter the price! The overall sound is a little leaner and cooler than that of the Anthem, but the difference is extremely subtle. If you were to ask which was more accurate or appropriate, I’d have a hard time choosing. Both have superb detail, imaging, and soundstaging, with the Anthem taking the lead by a very slight margin in each category. That being said, the differences are subtle enough that it takes high-resolution speakers to tell any difference at all.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/outlaw_950.htm

#24329 - 11/03/03 07:44 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I hadn't heard about another Kameleon remote popping up. It appears to add code learning, and there's even some macro support in there. I found a page of user reviews but haven't read through them all. J&R sells it for $70, and Circuit City has it for $90. That's getting into the price range for my MX-500 ( BlueDo sells it for under $100 last I checked -- here are a couple reviews ). With code learning and macros, it should be possible to set this Kameleon up to replace most or all of your remotes, and it is a pretty cool looking piece.

EDIT: Here it is for $62 . If you get it, I'd be curious to hear how you like it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited November 03, 2003).]

#24330 - 11/03/03 11:22 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
While Vader has supported his preference for the AVM-20 over the 950 with absolutely no supporting facts, except for that his balanced interconnect cables cost a lot of money...

1) Cost has absolutely nothing to do with performance. Even if the Anthem sounds "better" than the 950, gosh dern it, it ought to because it lists for 4x the amount the 950 does. But who wins "bang for the buck"?

2) I had the opportunity to audition a 950 with a 755 amp, and the AVM-20 with the 5 ch Anthem amp. My comments are posted elsewhere in this forum, but try as I might, with both music and movies, I could not tell a difference between them. And I wanted to! I firmly believe that you spend more money, you should get better performance. But I didn't hear it. The AVM-20 is certainly more "tweakable", but for raw 2 ch performance? No diff.

3) It has been proven, that unless a component has fully balanced operation, and not quasi-balanced as most cheaper components are, using the balanced connection can actually result in *worse* sound. Mr Vader- please dig up a reference such that you can prove that both the Anthem AVM-20 and the amp you are using it with is actually fully balanced. (For example, I just read a review of the Rotel RMB-1095. 200w/ch, weighs 70 lbs. *Not* fully balanced.)

4) I had a 950 in my system. I had absolutely no complaints with 2 ch stereo sound. But, I liked the 7.1 CES modes on the 950 so much, I went for my dream pre/pro and got a Lexicon MC-8. I have also posted this elsewhere, but I found absolutely no difference in 2 ch music stereo sound quality. The best test a multichannel preamp can undergo. And Mr Vader, I'd wager that the balanced power unit *I* have, costs more than the amplifier that you have. But that don't mean squat neither.

5) Mr Vader- Have you ever compared an AVM-20 to a 950 in your system? No? Then how can you intelligently comment on a 950 vs the AVM-20? Oh wait, I said "intelligently."

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited November 04, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#24331 - 11/04/03 09:26 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

All valid points. Additionally, Let's say in a perfect world, Anthem was 4x as good as the Outlaw at 4x the price. There are still people who don't want to pay $4k for a part of their home theater, and would be perfectly happy with the Outlaw. There's no reason to bash those people or their product. The product does not pretend to be 4x as good as it is. It does not claim to have balanced output, something many "true audiophiles" do not need or want.

There's no reason to incite a flame war. VADER obviously either came here to start one for fun, has no idea what he's talking about, or came to flaunt the fact that he's spent a pantload of money on things that he feels make his system better. If that's what helps him sleep at night, let him rant. Attempting to reason with such a person is an exercise in futility. No matter how good your argument, you will still get stock replies like, "but it's ugly!"

We Outlaws don't have to take personal offense, because we can be happy in the knowledge that our prepro/amps sound 99% as good as anything out there, we have an extra $3000 to spend on DVDs and music, and 95% of us don't need/want/care about/know the difference/etc what a Lex or Anthem would give us.

-Joe

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nostalgia (edited November 04, 2003).]

#24332 - 11/05/03 03:23 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
I own a Lexicon MC-12, possibly one of the best surround processors currently in existance. When Joe asked for advice regarding what the best preamp he could get in the price range in which he was looking, I immediately directed him to the Outlaw.

No question in my mind. If I were to get a pre-amp in that price range instead of the MC-12's, I'd go with the Outlaw. It's that simple.

Jeff

#24333 - 11/05/03 05:37 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Time_Stands_Still Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Hell, I have more coin in a pair of XLR interconnects than you chumps have in this so called AV processor-950!

So why do you wish to bring some snobbery to a forum of people who do not know each other?

You are fortunate to either afford or accept he costs of said equipment you talk of, good for you. I am an audiophile and I would if situation allows invest in ever higher end equipment, but even though I do not own the 950, I appreciate what it brings. I am a happy owner at this moment of a mid-high end Denon AV receiver. It was the best my budget at the time allowed me to afford. Had my disposable budget allowed for a 950/7100 combo etc. I would have jumped at it and known that I was getting equipment that an audiophile/videophile would appreciate.

Audiophile is not just the person who spends the most. My system has been carefully put together and lovingly set up in my listening room. I have invested appropriate amounts on speakers, cables, electronics and I bet you would be highly impressed in the sound of what I have, until you saw the equipment and your snobbery would come through.

Being and audio/videophile is about a lover for the hobby and a chase to constantly improve ones system from setup and maintanence to new equipment. I have been an audioiphile since I was a teen spending much of my then entry level wages on the best equipment I could afford at the time.

You are in a situation that may allow you to invest in or go into more debt over with higher priced ( not always better though ) equipment. There is not a person here ( I dare say ) who would not be happy for you, but to come here and slag equipment that you are probably not so aware of is not fair nor noble in attitude.

In ending, the Outlaws have successfully brought in a good mix of quality vs price and on products that would make the 95 percentile happy.

#24334 - 11/05/03 11:51 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Time_Stands_Still Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Obviously you you want to be an Audiophile, however admitting that the core of your system is a mid-priced Denon receiver seems a little lacking...doesn't it?

No, it's obvious that you missed my point. One is an audiophile who is into maximizing the potential of their own systems along with their personal journey within this hobby/lifestyle. The amount of money one may spend has ZERO indication as to being an audio/videophile. Afterall Bang and Olfsen is in many cases even more expensive than the equipmet you talk of owning and anyone who is an audiophile will note that B&O hardly represents cutting edge audiophile quality, but rather eccentric form to their function. Your demeaning of equipment and people who own such that may be a lower price ( but again not always lower in quality ) than what you may own may represent snobbery of which means nothing on an informal internet forum where nobody really knows anyone else.

If it is your intent to bring such snobbery here, you only alienate your opinions and yourself as those who wish to talk of and share ideas and enjoyment of not just the equipment they may own but the hobby of home electronics, and of the interest to talk of the industry, will only disregard your words in the end.

Having a more expensive home audio/video system does not make you an audio/videophile let alone one in having any credible knowledge within the hobby/industry.

Showing off here by being arrogant is like a 17 year old doing burn outs in a fancy sportscar infront of people who do not know him nor really care of him. However if it gives you your "shits and giggles" then more power to you.

I'm sure others here will stick to the higher road and the pleasure of talking and sharing experiences in electronics and its industry.

#24335 - 11/06/03 12:58 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I’m sure Vader’s a nice guy after all he did state in a prior movie
I want them [Outlaws] alive. No disintegration’s. - Darth V
(so boys don’t go disintegrating with your tempers please)

Vader re: “Anthem rules”
Don't get technical with me! -C3PO

Princess Lena says the dark side is doomed. Vader can spare no expense for his galacticly advanced interconnects but the Death Star still will end as bits of cosmic dust.

The Outlaws who shop at Outlaw for interconnects or others here (always Outlaws to the core) have nefarious connections with high quality raw material providers such as the odd rogue ‘Canare” rep in various back water bars around the galaxy.

Emperor approved boutique products come in handy if you need something to tie up Jabba sized overspenders to curtail their greedy appetites for badge recognition gluttony and excess.

The Millenium Falcon always has Outlaws on board, and while She may not look like much, she's got it where it counts, kid - Han S

and by the by Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper? - Princess Leia

PS. Back on topic,
I am one who can ‘read’ my display on the 950 from across the room (and my eyes are tired tired from paperwork every day). I don’t use my OSD (and don’t want to). But can easily tweak every command I need to via the 950 display with ease.
I would prefer distance settings in more than 3 increments, (Fronts, center, backs) but only to play with, - don’t know if that would make any difference whatsoever in my acoustic conditions.
The remote is as good as any that has come bundled with a product I’ve purchased, which means we shake hands and declare a truce after a few weeks.

In other words, Uhhhhh.....had a slight weapons malfunction. But.....fine..... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine......How are you? –Han S

The early few bugs which were very minor in comparison to some manuf glitches I saw in products far more expensive, - were addressed by Outlaw. The rest are prospective or current purchasers’ personal preference list for feature list/options (which no two owners would ever agree on as far as tradeoffs of this-for-that for cost value).

Product: highly recommended.

Sorry guys - for the limp attempt at a Space Oddesy, obviously both Vader and I get our jollies in weird ways. Got out tonight for girls on town. Just having fun.
Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her. –Han S

#24336 - 11/06/03 12:59 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

The Anthem is a nice piece, no question about it. Still, it's not the end-all, be-all. For instance, where are the 5.1 inputs for DVD-A/SACD? The Outlaw's got a set...

Jeff

#24337 - 11/06/03 08:47 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

I used to have a coat hanger for TV reception. I disconnected it about 6 months ago. Better things to do with my time.

How crass is that?

If P.T. Barnum were alive today, he'd probably be selling interconnects. (one of my favorite lines)

My cousin is a concert violinist who has played the instrument amazingly well for over 40 years. He knows what a violin sounds like.

Using source material he is familiar with (including some with him playing on the recording) he thought my system to be very accurate.

He's not the kind of guy who will spare your feelings when it comes to music reproduction.

He didn't ask how much it cost.

Maybe he would have thought it more accurate with an Anthem pre and mega-coin XLRs.

Guess I'll never know.

Outlaw should offer a version of the 950 that has a nice, thick piece of CNC machined Mic-6 aluminum on the front and balanced I/O on the back and sell it for $4K.

After all, we all know it would sound measurably better that way.

I'm sure Vader has a lot of friends who would just push and shove their way to the front of the order line, then tape the receipt to the front of the rack.

#24338 - 11/06/03 09:33 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

BoB,

You rock!

Jeff

#24339 - 11/06/03 07:44 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Use a favorable acoustic environment with accurate and fine sounding speakers with a 950 based system, vs. an Anthem based system with esoteric cabling, and start listening for differences.
There is a baseline for doing some cost/performance comparisons. See how much money you need to 'pump in' to really hear a difference of any significance.

#24340 - 11/06/03 08:42 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

My guess is Vader is just here to talk smack. His one or two line flamethrower posts don't even have a hint of desire for discussion, much less discussion of cost-concious high performance audio. I came here before I bought the 950 to learn and still come here to learn and discuss, not try to belittle people.

If Vader has the scratch to piss away good for him. Like another poster already wisely stated, I'll use the $3K I saved on DVD's and music (and beer).

Thanks to all the CONSTRUCTIVE people here who helped me on my journey towards the 950.

#24341 - 11/06/03 10:36 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Interesting. Where'd you find a 24-bit/96kHz digital source?

Jeff

#24342 - 11/06/03 11:55 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Jeff,

Notice the quotation marks. Our not so friendly inVADER lifted the remarks from this review:
www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1103/outlawaudio.htm

These are evidently not his own observations or comments.

By the way, further processing of a 24/96kHz signal is a daunting task. Off the top of my head I don't know of any commercially available chips that could perform this. And with DVD-A and SACD now available why would you want to anyway?

------------------
Tekdredger

#24343 - 11/07/03 01:13 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Hey Guys, (and Gals); lighten up. Vader is our guest. He enjoys our company. I mean I have not had such a good laugh in a long time. Vader, you're killing me with your one liners. What a sense of humor! Sorry we have responded with such lengthy messages. Let's all sit back and laugh at Vader's whit and have a good time.

#24344 - 11/07/03 01:41 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Chesky has put out some Digital Audio Discs (basically DVD-Vs) with LPCM 24/96 that can be transferred digitally to a pre/pro/receiver.

And, what Tekdredger said. Even the Lexicon MC-8 doesn't have the processing power to do anything with 24/96 other than just 2 ch stereo. And if the AVM-20 does, more than likely it's converting to 24/48 first.

All he is doing is putting his ignorance on display for all of us to see and appreciate.

#24345 - 11/07/03 10:21 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejate:
Hey Guys, (and Gals); lighten up. Vader is our guest. He enjoys our company. I mean I have not had such a good laugh in a long time. Vader, you're killing me with your one liners. What a sense of humor! Sorry we have responded with such lengthy messages. Let's all sit back and laugh at Vader's whit and have a good time.

I agree with this, but...

We ARE all Outlaws, after all.

Bursting into a saloon full of outlaws spewing one-liner crap is an 'at-your-own-risk' proposition.

I say we hang 'em all.

It's actually the best venue to explain the features, strengths, weaknesses and comparisons to other gangs' products for the townfolk who are out in the streets wondering what really goes on in the saloon.

I think we've been quite hospitable to this point, but I sense itching trigger fingers.

Vader...Go for it.

#24346 - 11/07/03 12:07 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
mxy15 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rogers, AR
VADER reminds me of someone that was banned in HTF prior to 950's release. What I don't understand is why would someone who owns such "superior" equipment and a "true" audiophile would want to waste time with Outlaws like us. Maybe it's because with such high calibur equipment, VADER still doesn't know how to enjoy what he has and therefore needs to go out on the internet to seek other people's approvals.

As Outlaws we know what we like and go our own ways. This forum is used to share info and be helpful to each other when someone ASKS for help. So as far as I am concerned, VADER's one liners are not welcomed and should be prevented from participating in these forums in the future.

#24347 - 11/08/03 12:47 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

I for one, do not believe Vader owns any of this expensive equipment. If you look at his responses, you will notice a pattern. He just likes to manipulate people. And he has done a fine job here, look at the responses he receives each time he takes a little jab. You see this type of person on other forums, sooner or later people just get tired of them and stop responding or they get banned. I don't want to strap on the guns just yet, Vader thrives on this type of response, I just want to laugh at him until he gets frustrated and heads for the hills. Now, let's get back to the original post and ignore Vader's comments. Once he gets out of line he will be banned.

#24348 - 11/08/03 01:57 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Kevin,
Quote:
Even the Lexicon MC-8 doesn't have the processing power to do anything with 96/24 other than just 2 ch stereo.
You underestimate your pre-pro. If you feed it a 96/24 2-channel source (e.g., Chesky DAD) via a digital connection, you can apply any processing you want to it.

BTW, when the 950 converts a 2-channel analog source to digital, does anyone know what the resolution of the A-to-D conversion is? If it is 96/24, then the 950 is probably doing its processing (PLII, etc) at that rate.

Best,
Sanjay

#24349 - 11/08/03 11:08 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
JCS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis CA
("The remote is a little awkward and the display is kind of small. But I also find that the 950 takes a long time to lock onto a format. When I change channels on my Direct TV it takes a few seconds to acquire the correct surround format. The same occurs on DVD's when it changes from menus to intros to the actual movie.")

This is something that I would like to see addressed in a new or replacement unit in the future.

Concerning the remote, it works fine for me but I wish the batteries were in the other end. Every remote used previously located the batteries opposite the Outlaw remote, in the dark I orientate the remote by which end is heavy.

On-line reviews are what convinced me to give the 950 a try, if I didn't like it I could return it minus shipping.

("Let's say in a perfect world, Anthem was 4x as good as the Outlaw at 4x the price. There are still people who don't want to pay $4k for a part of their home theater, and would be perfectly happy with the Outlaw.")

I had $20,000 to spend on my system including monitor. After listening to a couple of "flagship" recievers and $4000 AV processors that was the exact question that came to mind. Are they X times better for X times the price? Marginal improvements yes, proportional no.

I like the fact that there are people like Outlaw that give us exactly what we want for prices that we are willing to pay. Like wise I am happy for those that enjoy the offerings of cost is no object companies. I doubt those that spent X times the amount I spent enjoy their systems X times more than I enjoy mine.
Cinenova Grande (300x3 front L/R channels)
JBL S412PII Front
JBL S38II Side
JBL S26II Rear
JBL S Center
Sony SAT TiVo
Samsung SIR-T5360 SAT HDTV Reciever
Pioneer DV-563A

#24350 - 11/08/03 12:51 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
Be nice to Vader. He is most likely a pimply 14 yr old with nothing better to do. We wouldn't want to be accused of child abuse for verbally abusing him, would we?

Poor kid wishes his Emerson CD/clock radio was a Krell, and dreams of one day replacing his radio's factory cord with a kick-butt aftermarket one.

#24351 - 11/08/03 01:03 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Quote:
VADER reminds me of someone that was banned in HTF prior to 950's release.
I wonder how Razvan is enjoying his firewire ports. The 950 has been out for almost two years and firewire is just becoming a feature on most receivers. Ah, those were the days.
Quote:
I like the fact that there are people like Outlaw that give us exactly what we want for prices that we are willing to pay. Like wise I am happy for those that enjoy the offerings of cost is no object companies. I doubt those that spent X times the amount I spent enjoy their systems X times more than I enjoy mine.
Well said. Except I am sure Vader enjoys his ht X times the amount more than he spent on his system than I did, only because he doesn't seem to care how it sounds, just how much blood & plasma he had to sell to obtain it.

Sorry about the run-on.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited November 08, 2003).]

#24352 - 11/08/03 01:58 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:

C' mon, is this VADER dude for real, or is he just on drugs/alcohol/airplane glue???

I sure wish he'd share some pictures of his system (of course, with close-ups of the interconnects!) with us chumps so we can dream a bit of living large. I'm sure his HT has been featured in "Home Theater Interiors" magazine, so maybe he could just point us to the issue it's in????

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 08, 2003).]

#24353 - 11/08/03 11:47 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Hey Soundhound put pic's of your system back up so vader can really see what a price is no object system should look like
I think that might at least slow down his trash talking a little.

Lasher

#24354 - 11/09/03 12:26 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I did, in the interconnects threads......I'm ashamed my system hasn't been in "Home Theater Interiors" magazine though

#24355 - 11/09/03 12:34 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Anytime anyone evokes the presence of people like Gonk, SLL, KCB, D'Arb, Sanjay, Soundhound, etc., a good thing has been accomplished.

I always come away from this sort of thing with a bit of knowledge that I lacked otherwise.

This is a very cool place, to me. In almost 2 years, I haven't witnessed a single soul make it a single degree less cool.

Thanx, Vader

[This message has been edited by bossobass (edited November 09, 2003).]

#24356 - 11/09/03 12:55 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Evey so often I see someone mentions how slow the 950 is to lock onto a signal. I believe this is a Cirrus quirk. I still have the H/K AVR65 that uses Cirrus, and it is so slow to lock on a signal that it makes my 950 seem lightning quick. Not sure why this company makes such slow processors but maybe in the future Outlaw might look for a different manufacturer of its engines.

#24357 - 11/09/03 05:33 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Lock on delay: I had a Sony TA-E9000ES that wasn't bad. I found the trick for the 950 is to dedicate the inputs. I.e., tell it what digital stream to expect (LPCM, DD/DTS, etc). The Lexicon MC-8 isn't too different that the 950 (with dedicated inputs, anyway).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM