Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#24340 - 11/06/03 08:42 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
My guess is Vader is just here to talk smack. His one or two line flamethrower posts don't even have a hint of desire for discussion, much less discussion of cost-concious high performance audio. I came here before I bought the 950 to learn and still come here to learn and discuss, not try to belittle people.

If Vader has the scratch to piss away good for him. Like another poster already wisely stated, I'll use the $3K I saved on DVD's and music (and beer).

Thanks to all the CONSTRUCTIVE people here who helped me on my journey towards the 950.

#24341 - 11/06/03 10:36 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Interesting. Where'd you find a 24-bit/96kHz digital source?

Jeff

#24342 - 11/06/03 11:55 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Jeff,

Notice the quotation marks. Our not so friendly inVADER lifted the remarks from this review:
www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1103/outlawaudio.htm

These are evidently not his own observations or comments.

By the way, further processing of a 24/96kHz signal is a daunting task. Off the top of my head I don't know of any commercially available chips that could perform this. And with DVD-A and SACD now available why would you want to anyway?

------------------
Tekdredger

#24343 - 11/07/03 01:13 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Hey Guys, (and Gals); lighten up. Vader is our guest. He enjoys our company. I mean I have not had such a good laugh in a long time. Vader, you're killing me with your one liners. What a sense of humor! Sorry we have responded with such lengthy messages. Let's all sit back and laugh at Vader's whit and have a good time.

#24344 - 11/07/03 01:41 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Chesky has put out some Digital Audio Discs (basically DVD-Vs) with LPCM 24/96 that can be transferred digitally to a pre/pro/receiver.

And, what Tekdredger said. Even the Lexicon MC-8 doesn't have the processing power to do anything with 24/96 other than just 2 ch stereo. And if the AVM-20 does, more than likely it's converting to 24/48 first.

All he is doing is putting his ignorance on display for all of us to see and appreciate.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#24345 - 11/07/03 10:21 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by Alejate:
Hey Guys, (and Gals); lighten up. Vader is our guest. He enjoys our company. I mean I have not had such a good laugh in a long time. Vader, you're killing me with your one liners. What a sense of humor! Sorry we have responded with such lengthy messages. Let's all sit back and laugh at Vader's whit and have a good time.

I agree with this, but...

We ARE all Outlaws, after all.

Bursting into a saloon full of outlaws spewing one-liner crap is an 'at-your-own-risk' proposition.

I say we hang 'em all.

It's actually the best venue to explain the features, strengths, weaknesses and comparisons to other gangs' products for the townfolk who are out in the streets wondering what really goes on in the saloon.

I think we've been quite hospitable to this point, but I sense itching trigger fingers.

Vader...Go for it.

#24346 - 11/07/03 12:07 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
mxy15 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rogers, AR
VADER reminds me of someone that was banned in HTF prior to 950's release. What I don't understand is why would someone who owns such "superior" equipment and a "true" audiophile would want to waste time with Outlaws like us. Maybe it's because with such high calibur equipment, VADER still doesn't know how to enjoy what he has and therefore needs to go out on the internet to seek other people's approvals.

As Outlaws we know what we like and go our own ways. This forum is used to share info and be helpful to each other when someone ASKS for help. So as far as I am concerned, VADER's one liners are not welcomed and should be prevented from participating in these forums in the future.

#24347 - 11/08/03 12:47 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
I for one, do not believe Vader owns any of this expensive equipment. If you look at his responses, you will notice a pattern. He just likes to manipulate people. And he has done a fine job here, look at the responses he receives each time he takes a little jab. You see this type of person on other forums, sooner or later people just get tired of them and stop responding or they get banned. I don't want to strap on the guns just yet, Vader thrives on this type of response, I just want to laugh at him until he gets frustrated and heads for the hills. Now, let's get back to the original post and ignore Vader's comments. Once he gets out of line he will be banned.

#24348 - 11/08/03 01:57 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Kevin,
Quote:
Even the Lexicon MC-8 doesn't have the processing power to do anything with 96/24 other than just 2 ch stereo.
You underestimate your pre-pro. If you feed it a 96/24 2-channel source (e.g., Chesky DAD) via a digital connection, you can apply any processing you want to it.

BTW, when the 950 converts a 2-channel analog source to digital, does anyone know what the resolution of the A-to-D conversion is? If it is 96/24, then the 950 is probably doing its processing (PLII, etc) at that rate.

Best,
Sanjay

#24349 - 11/08/03 11:08 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
JCS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis CA
("The remote is a little awkward and the display is kind of small. But I also find that the 950 takes a long time to lock onto a format. When I change channels on my Direct TV it takes a few seconds to acquire the correct surround format. The same occurs on DVD's when it changes from menus to intros to the actual movie.")

This is something that I would like to see addressed in a new or replacement unit in the future.

Concerning the remote, it works fine for me but I wish the batteries were in the other end. Every remote used previously located the batteries opposite the Outlaw remote, in the dark I orientate the remote by which end is heavy.

On-line reviews are what convinced me to give the 950 a try, if I didn't like it I could return it minus shipping.

("Let's say in a perfect world, Anthem was 4x as good as the Outlaw at 4x the price. There are still people who don't want to pay $4k for a part of their home theater, and would be perfectly happy with the Outlaw.")

I had $20,000 to spend on my system including monitor. After listening to a couple of "flagship" recievers and $4000 AV processors that was the exact question that came to mind. Are they X times better for X times the price? Marginal improvements yes, proportional no.

I like the fact that there are people like Outlaw that give us exactly what we want for prices that we are willing to pay. Like wise I am happy for those that enjoy the offerings of cost is no object companies. I doubt those that spent X times the amount I spent enjoy their systems X times more than I enjoy mine.
Cinenova Grande (300x3 front L/R channels)
JBL S412PII Front
JBL S38II Side
JBL S26II Rear
JBL S Center
Sony SAT TiVo
Samsung SIR-T5360 SAT HDTV Reciever
Pioneer DV-563A

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts