Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#24310 - 10/26/03 07:19 PM 950 "quirks"?
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
On a recent post on the 7100 board (http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000051.html) Raiden mentioned "...the 950, even with its quirks, sounds great". I was just wondering if anyone could follow up on this statement. Not that it will in anyway affect my descision (I'm sold regarless), but I would kind of like to know what I'm getting into. Thanks all...

Mike

#24311 - 10/26/03 10:03 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Since I started this I will answer

Quirk #1
Display is hard to read across room due to color chosen for display and I do not like to turn TV on just to use OSD

If you have been listening to stereo and then switch to 6 channel for DVD audio or SACD the unit gets confused and just plays in stereo. You have to be in a 5 channel mode before you use 6 channel bypass to get all speakers

The remote is a pain if you want to use it for all your gear, I am constantly having to cover the front of remote with my hand to change the input so the 950 does not see the change. Lots of posts have mentioned this

However, the real reason for the 950 is the value and the amazingly good sound. That is why I put up with the quirks and did not send back after the 30 day trial.

Perhaps others could list their own quirks

#24312 - 10/27/03 12:53 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
Raiden: As far as the quirks with the remote, aren't those known quirks that have fixable macros that allow you to use one button functions to turn on and off certain equipment without having the hassle of covering the front?

Mike

#24313 - 10/27/03 03:01 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The level of quirkiness depends somewhat on the user. I had three or four macros that provided my wife with straightforward on/off for TV watching and let me get around covering the front of the remote to listen to DVD-A's, which took care of me. I also labeled some of the remote's "surround mode" buttons with transport controls for the DVD player, which got around the problem of buttons that provided navigation and transport control. Over the summer I picked up a Home Theater Master MX-500 remote, which resolved even the most trifling quirks I had with the 950's remote.

My system is set up less than ten feet from the seating, and the display is quite readable for me, but as Raider indicates this is not true of everyone.

The bass management can often confuse people. Whether or not it's a quirk depends on the user -- most people elect to flip the bass management switch to "on" for the 5.1 analog input and then set the triple crossovers to what works best for them, with no further concerns.

The surround and surround back speakers share a single distance setting. If you are hyper-sensitive to delay settings, this could be a problem quirk, but aside from a vocal outcry about this during the beta test there's been only intermittent reports of this giving people real trouble.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#24314 - 10/29/03 10:09 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
Well I agree with a couple of Raiders quirks. The remote is a little awkward and the display is kind of small. But I also find that the 950 takes a long time to lock onto a format. When I change channels on my Direct TV it takes a few seconds to acquire the correct surround format. The same occurs on DVD's when it changes from menus to intros to the actual movie. Also I am on my third unit since I placed my original order back in June. The first unit had the fading display, and the second unit just plain crapped out (static on all channels in all formats).

With all that said, let me clarify one point. I still LOVE my 950! True, it represents the best bargain in separates. True, it sounds great. But the intangible here is the customer service. I would not have put up with all the problems if it wasn't for the more than positive attitude of Scott and everyone else. Each time I contacted them about issues they sent another unit, no questions asked. There were never any excuses, or procrastinations. Great people with a solid product. What else can you ask for?

#24315 - 10/30/03 12:40 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by VADER:
Bargain Separates, I never heard of anything so crass!

HUH??????

#24316 - 10/30/03 08:27 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Crass, crude, socially unacceptable, that's us. As for Outlaw and the bargain separates, well, that's just cool.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, VADER.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#24317 - 10/30/03 09:57 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
mmmm bargain separates

The only quirk I've come across with my 950 is the remote. I'm constantly turning the 950 on by accident. If the 950 is off and you press one of the mode buttons to control a different device (eg, if I'm watching TV with the 950 off and want to flip the VCR on to record something), the 950 pops on, turning the 7100 on, too. This can't be good for the equipment.

The only real gripe I have with the 950 itself is the digital lock-on issue. It's really annoying when listening to a CD and you miss the first few seconds of a song. I don't think even a "bargain" separate should have this problem.

Other than that, the remote and the 950 is excellent. I was listening to Linkin Park in 6.1 this morning while getting ready for work, and had to stop, sit on the couch and listen; it was that awesome.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#24318 - 10/30/03 07:40 PM Re: 950 "quirks"?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
I'd have to agree with Nostalgia about the digital lock on issue. It can get pretty annoying when the sat is acting up in foul weather. But MAN, it's still such a BARGAIN for a SEPARATE! I love it! I feel so....so......crassy!

#24319 - 11/02/03 12:27 AM Re: 950 "quirks"?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

While I'm sure that Anthem makes a great product (after all they are Canadian), there's a lot more required before one can "rule". For example: are you so comfortable with your own products that you have a web site forum where supporters of competitor's products can post "Competitor Rules" on it to their hearts' content? Just checked out the Anthem site. Did not find it.

Outlaw still rules!

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM