Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#24300 - 11/15/03 06:17 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
oh and take a cd of some music that you like into the place where u plan to demo some speakers.

#24301 - 11/15/03 09:05 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
Just like auditioning Outlaw equipment, SVS and Axiom allow you to try for 45 and 30 days respectively in your own home for only the cost of shipping. (I only am sure of these two because I tried and kept both). Speakers are VERY subjective, and are influenced immensely by room acoustics, so it is always best to try them in your own room, and experiment with placements when doing so.

#24302 - 11/16/03 11:06 AM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
the comments above are correct, even though there are some great deals from a number of different companies on the net, speaker auditioning IN PERSON is a VERY important part of deciding. When I was in the market for mains, I read a number of reviews and narrowed my choices down based on what I read. Then came the most important part. I took a handful of my favorite CDs and auditioned a BUNCH of speakers with my music. Some of the speakers I origonally thought I wanted (based on what I read), were disapointing to my ears. After about a month of EXTREMELY fun comparison shopping I made my decision.

#24303 - 11/16/03 11:14 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
FWIW,
Your front speakers will probably have the most impact on your overall system performance, particularly if you decide to stay with inwall options for your surrounds.
I would think an in wall speaker solution will not create a front "sound stage" as accurate or pleasing to the ears as free standing speakers can.
"Sense of depth - breadth - placement of sounds" within the front sound stage.
Given the option to go with bookshelves and a center speaker that is not wall mount. The Polk Lsi-9 series bookshelf speakers and matching LSiC can be found online for around 1K delivered = 650 + 350. (1500.00 retail)
The LSi series speakers have gotten excellent professional and owner reviews since their arrival in the market place over a year ago, generally compared to speakers costing 2 or 3 times this price.
Your rear sound field is generally fill and supporting sound effects yet the effects are quite often full range and require a speaker capable of reproducing fairly deep bass and reproducing a decent rear sound stage for accurate placement and sound effect pans between the front and rear. Wall mount rear speakers may be preferable since a voice or sound effect coming from a ceiling speaker may sound entirely out of place.
There are some excellent choices available within the ceiling and wall mount speaker arena. Polk Lsi - Mirage - Niles - NHT - Boston Acoustic - Klipsch - B&W - M&K - most major mfr.’s.
get out and demo some some surround flicks and tunes. See if you can find a dealers demo area with overhead or wall mount surrounds and listen to them sitting on a couch - do they sound "right" up there ?
May be one other thing to consider - possible rearrangement of furniture within a space having an impact on initial installation placement causing you to need to reposition the speakers built in walls. Dry wall can be patched

www.accessories4less.com is an electronics closeout dealer of several brands. NHT - while not the cheapest or most expensive option, 2 pairs of in wall or ceiling for rear surround about 800.oo Add the new Outlaw LFM1 for 570.oo
A bit over budget . . . but one sweet sounding system.
Good luck and have fun in your search !

------------------
My train wreck
My modest HT . .

[This message has been edited by Steve_C (edited November 17, 2003).]

#24304 - 11/18/03 02:11 AM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
Well, I have to say that all of the help and info that I have received have truly been a HUGE help in my search for the "perfect" speakers. Based on several recommendations I have narrowed it down to what I think will not only work out best for me, but also stay within my original budget. So here goes...

Center - Axiom VP100
Front L&R - Axiom M22ti's
Rear surrounds - Morel SD20 in-ceilings
Sub - SVS PB1-ISD (unless I can be patient enough to wait for the LMF-1)

I would greatly appreciate any input or suggestions you guys might have and thanks again for all your help!

Mike

#24305 - 11/18/03 07:44 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

You will be amazed at the Axioms. If your room is bright they will seem a touch bright, but if the room is carpeted with softer furniture, etc...you will be amazed. The only suggestion I would make are the surrounds. The axiom QS-8s are among the best, and mount directly on the wall.

Also, call and ask for B-stock...if you buy that way you save 10%. You can ask for the finish you desire and will get it, although you may have to wait a few days. If you get the QS-8s along with the M22s and VP-150, ask Amie to give you an additional 5% off the total as a package discount. They gave me the B-stock prices plus the discount and I chose my finish. They all look flawless!

You will enjoy these speakers!

#24306 - 11/18/03 11:14 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
Will,

Just a couple questions for ya... First off, why the recommendation on the QS-8s as opposed to the QS-4s? And why the VP-150 as opposed to the VP-100? My room is roughly 18d x 16w x 9h with concrete flooring. So on a side note, I'm assuming from your statement that the Axioms will end up sounding a bit bright in my room (even with a large area rug and leather furniture). And lastly, will I still be able to get the 5% discount if I'm buying the package without the sub? Thanks for the help!

Mike

#24307 - 11/19/03 07:19 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Just ask Amie for a discount...I got one without buying the sub. The M22s, VP-150, and QS-8s all use the same drivers, and mate very well together. Although the VP-100 uses the same driver, I have heard from many who have upgraded that the VP-150 was a big step up in sound from the VP-100. I am astounded by the way my system sounded (they are boxed while I work on the house) and highly recommend the Axioms. If budget only allows the QS-4s, they will be OK. The QS-8s, however, have had fantastic reviews from most everyone who has heard them. If you were to purchase that system and mated it with a great sub, you would be very happy for a long time.

As far as the room, you may need to tone it down a touch. Simply buying $20 worth of sound batt fiberglass insulation and some 2X4s, making some boxes to put the insulation in, and covering it with fabric will tame the room,s brightness. Locate the panels at points of first and second reflections. This will help. More rugs or carpet on the floor will also help.

The Axioms are not bright...they are accurate. Just like a loud "clap" is harsh and rings in a live room, so does the midrange sound from an accurate and articulate speaker.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM