Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#24290 - 11/04/03 11:15 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
Perhaps Vader is right. Why should I sacrifice quality for a little thing like a budget. If I'm going to do this HT thing right, then I should concede to the fact that I'm going to have to pay for it... and pay for it BIG! It's obvious to me now that cost has a direct affect on quality. Surely I was wrong in assuming that spending $3000 for the whole system was even remotely feasible, when in reality $3000 per speaker simply makes more sense to me now. However, I shall view my time and effort spent researching and looking for what I had originally thought would be a nice, clean, natural sounding set of "reasonably" priced speakers as a learning experience. I shall discount what I once thought was exceptional advice from the years of real world experience here at the Outlaw Forum and heed the advice of Mr. Vader. I shall finally then, concede to the fact that I must simply add a few more zeros into the checkbook.

On second thought... scratch all that! I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy. I really could care less if I "get" to tell people that I spent $3000 dollars on two speakers. As a matter of fact, most of my friends would kick my butt if I made a move like that (thank God for good friends)! Also, it doesn't matter to me if I "get" to tell people that I have components by B&W, M&K, or BFD... as long as after everything is said and done, I end up with a good quality, clean sounding home theater setup. And having a few less zeros in the checkbook doesn't hurt either!

Mike

#24291 - 11/05/03 01:12 AM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Mike, I really wanted to like Legacy, I mean I REALLY wanted to like them, I could see them mounted in my walls. I even dragged my wife with me to listen to them. They sounded alright, but just not good enough to buy. I had the poor dealer swapping out amps and preamps, but to no avail. Had I not listened to other speaker manufactures I would have bought these. But for a few less bucks I purchased what my ears think is a superior sounding speaker. Remember, this is the most subjective purchase in home theater, take your time and listen to the speakers and not us. Make this an enjoyable experience.

#24292 - 11/05/03 09:55 AM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
I have to agree with Alejate. My mains are currently a pair of 6.5" bookshelf JVCs that I picked up at a flea market for $40. You can ask D'Arbingal about this, but I think they are some awesome sounding speakers. Everyone who has listened to my system (without knowing what I paid for the speakers) has been quite impressed.

I'm currently looking into GR Research's speaker line. I can buy a beautifully finished set from a guy like Brian Bunge for < $1000, and they have been compared favorably to speakers in the $3000+ range.

The moral of the story? High price does not a good speaker necessarily make. Contrary to what some believe, just because it's expensive does not make it better. Listen and make your own decision.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#24293 - 11/05/03 12:15 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
I dont believe in-walls (Legacy or not) would provide the best sound...

#24294 - 11/05/03 01:24 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
A link to the speaker manufacturer I eventually purchased from:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.html

Better speakers than I had imagined. I bought online, just like the Outlaws! I am glad I did, as these are awesome. In a bare room these may be bright. In a "soft" room, they are articulate. Extremely revealing, they are hard on poor recordings, but good recordings shine. (others have said this also about Axiom). At least research them a little. They may not be for you, but then again, they might be just what you are seaching for!

#24295 - 11/05/03 03:02 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Axiom makes great speakers that are also a great value. And I'd say so even if they weren't Canadian and did not trace their roots to Canada's National Research Council.

Jeff Mackwood
National Research Council Canada

#24296 - 11/05/03 03:04 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
Axiom is definetly another audio gem found on the internet. I have one of their center channels, and if it wasn't for already being happy with my mains, I would strongly consider them for my mains as well. They were one of the top 3 when I decided on new speakers. Looking down the road, I will probably get some Axioms for my surrounds

#24297 - 11/15/03 04:28 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
jbrowett Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am in the same kind of situation. I originally was planning to buy the 1050 until its aging design put me off. We then decided to go for the 950/7100 combo, and plan to order that soon. However, still not really sure what speakers will be best. Besides some of the brands already mentioned, what about Mirage's Omnipolar system? I've read some good reviews, and they meet another of my requirements of being relatively small so they do not dominate the room. Any comments on this system from anyone?

#24298 - 11/15/03 05:27 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Quote:
Originally posted by edav:
I upgraded the audio in my small home theatre this year. I went with the Outlaw Audio Model 950/7100 combo and the M&K 750 MKII THX Select Speaker System. I bought my speakers over the Internet from Downtown Audio for under $2000 and they are great.

Those are only two reviews, edav, there are numerous reviews including Stereophile Home Theater where the author did not expect to blown away by the musicality of the 750 system as well as it's dynamics with movies.
This flys in the face of some critics who sometimes forget it is only reproducing what it is given. Give it smooth, it will put out smooth!
Based on an individual's choice, it may not be the speakers of your choice, but I think one would be amiss in not audtioning them in the course of making selections. Was listening to the DVD-A of the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album with the studio talk on track 17 that blends into the final cut of "God Only Knows", you can be virtually transported as you lay back in your easy chair!

Speaker audtioning in the right place can be an extraordinary experience regardless of what you take home with you!
And take what you like! All this talk about movie sound vs. 2 ch, vs. music, etc. if fine and dandy, and you should listen to all sources before deciding. But I will say I have heard some great music on some soundtracks.

[This message has been edited by DaleB (edited November 15, 2003).]

#24299 - 11/15/03 06:11 PM Re: Help choosing the "perfect" speakers
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
the most important thing when buying speakers regardless of price is to audition them. specs, opinion, salesmen all have different opinions as you have seen. one disadvantage of buying online is you cant hear/see the product to demo it, so make sure if you go that route go somewhere with a good return policy. if you are watching movies, then there are two speakers that matter most, center and sub, so id spend the bulk on those two. if you like music more then the fronts are most important. and you wont get nearly as good of performance from in walls as bookshelfs, so id say put them on stands in the front. there are a bunch of really nice looking/performing stands out there that any wife wouldnt mind much. $1800 is not a tremendous amount for speakers considering the pre/pro and amp you picked out, so perhaps you should think about buying what you feel are the most important parts first and then gradually adding the rest. that is always a good way when on a budjet, eventhough its nice to get it all out of the way at one time. lots of places offer tradeups on speaker models, so even if the line changes a little bit, you can trade in your old ones for the new ones and then complete the set. i would stick with one brand for every speaker other than the sub, since voice (timbre) matching is vital and the tweeter is what allows this matching. i have always found that polk audio is a good performer at a good price except for their subs which are junk. i cant recommend any subs to you since i only have used ones that cost more than your entire budget, but svs is highly rated and so is hsu.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts