Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24265 - 10/18/03 07:00 PM Re: 950/7100 too bright for sub/sats?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Don't know about yodelling in the alps, or about using sonar in the ocean, but Infosponge's 15 x 20 foot room with the high ceilings isn't that big by home theater standards. Some people have much bigger rooms. He says his is highly reflective. Chances are, some of his 5.1 speakers are near surfaces that are highly reflective of certain frequencies.

Best,

Will

#24266 - 10/20/03 09:56 AM Re: 950/7100 too bright for sub/sats?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Folks,

While I understand that a large part of this thread is intended to be sarcastically humourous (it is right?), there is a more serious side to it.

The fact is that no company can absorb the losses from frivolous returns. Not even Outlaw. Those costs get passed on in the form of higher average prices.

While permitted, returning a set of perfectly functional electronics because they are too "bright" for a reflective room, is really pushing the Outlaw 30 day return policy to its limit.

Next thing you know the return will be accompanied by a lawsuit claiming egregious pain and suffering, or detruction of listening experience!

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#24267 - 10/20/03 04:16 PM Re: 950/7100 too bright for sub/sats?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Hi Jeff,

The Outlaw business plan avoids having to have demonstrator models in stores across the country (like many of their competitors do) and to instead, encourage hesitant potential customers to try a model in their own home at the Outlaw's risk. If the potential buyer doesn't like the model, the buyer can return it to Outlaw, no questions asked, during the home trial period. This business plan may weed out most frivilous returns because buyers who return a model are charged for shipping the model back. Also, hooking a pre/pro or a 7 channel amp in your home usually is not trivial. I'd imagine most who try an Outlaw product, are serious about it, because they are doing considerable work just to integrate it into their home theater setup.

The Outlaw business plan, of no demonstrators in brick stores but to encourage people who are hesitant to buy, by a no-questions-asked return policy, is less costly I bet, despite a few frivilous returns. In general, prospective buyers who want to listen before buying can do so, in someone else's home, by just asking online if there's anybody in their city willing to demonstrate their Outlaw -- chances are, somebody with an Outlaw model in their home will invite the prospective buyer into their home, for a listen!

The bottom line of the Outlaw business plan is it allows Outlaw to charge less than anybody else for a new pre/pro with DPL II.

Outlaw is probably selling 950's like hotcakes and probably is doing pretty well financially thanks in part, to their no questions asked return policy, despite the risk of some frivilous returns. No business plan is risk free, afterall!

I agree with you that people should not get an Outlaw if there's a large chance of returning it. But I think most people who buy are serious, since they'll pay the return shipment, and because having to connect and then disconnect the heart of a home theater can be a pain.

Best,

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 20, 2003).]

#24268 - 10/24/03 11:29 AM Re: 950/7100 too bright for sub/sats?
srfdude Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Since the 950-7100 combo or any other similar has a freq. response of 20-20K +/- a fraction of a dB, I wonder why you think that simply changing the electronics is going to reduce room effects? I have had all sorts of gear in my setup over the years, and I can say that in my experience there will be no significant difference. That is unless you clip the amp, also some processing can differ. Otherwise, I defy anyone to simply change the electronics on a 2-ch. setup and immediately tell the difference. OK, bottleheads need not apply
Mike

#24269 - 10/24/03 12:59 PM Re: 950/7100 too bright for sub/sats?
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
I'm using Klipsch speakers, the 950, and 3 Parasound amps in a 20 x 20 x 25 room, open on two sides, with 2 walls of windows and quarry tile floors. My room is definitely "bright." Maybe I don't hear the deficiencies of my system, but I think it sounds great. I think adjustments on the 950 plus a great sub (an SVS PB2-ISD now, a Klipsch SW-10 before it), toned down any harshness.

If (IF) the 950/7100 is too bright, what about keeping the great 950 in the mix and going with a "warmer" amp?

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts