Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#24207 - 10/14/03 08:11 PM Re: Little output from sub?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
There has been a drawn out discussion on bass / LEF level from DVD of Harry Potter, The Chamber of Secrets and LOTR Fellowship of the Ring. What about LOTR, The Two Towers? I was wondering if anyone has noticed any lack of bass / LEF level at the moment of explosion of Helms Deep wall in that movie. It is a visually spectacular explosion but as I watched 3 times with different adjustments on my sub, it all seem to lack the punch that makes the good sub owners smile. Other DVD like Star Wars, Attack of the Clones has that punch, especially at the beginning when the senator Amedala’s shuttle craft explodes.

Would it be that The Two Towers has lower frequency than my sub can respond and end up not being heard during that explosion? I am confident that my sub can do well down to 20 Hz (Shiva driver, 5 cu. ft. enclosure & 150 watt plate amp). Its just my gut feeling that such a scene should really rock the floor but it didn’t which was disappointing.

Any advice on this?

#24208 - 10/14/03 09:22 PM Re: Little output from sub?
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
I just popped it in. I have a Shiva III ported sub in an 85l enclosure.

The bass is most definately there. There's a hard, low rumble. It's more feel than sound. I'm only driving it with the 165 watts from my 7100, so I'm sure it should be even more impressive.

It could be like you said, your sealed sub is rolling off down there. My ported sub is tuned to about 21hz, and is -3db down in the teens.

If you're in the NJ area, you can swing by and have a listen. Just bring a good amp

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#24209 - 10/15/03 10:38 AM Re: Little output from sub?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Nostalgia, thanks for the input.

My sub has a 15” passive radiator. According to Adire’s Shiva application sheet, mine (5 cu. ft. box) is tuned to 17.3 Hz. That should be low enough for just about all DVDs.

Yes, the rumble, I can feel it when the wall explodes. If you have Star Wars, Attack of the Clones DVD, try a side by side comparison. I personally think the explosion sound effect is better in Attack of the Clones.

I was just trying to see if there are various settings that one should watch The Two Towers with to optimize the audio portion of it. Or, I thought maybe I missed something.

Thanks for the audition opportunity but I’m in Chicago which makes it little difficult.

Let me know if you find out something else about The Two Towers.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts