Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#24107 - 09/16/03 01:15 PM Shipping-Canada
makcace23 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I didn't know where to post this question, so I picked here since I am interested in the product.

I was wondering if anyone in this forum has bought anything from outlaw that lives in Canada? I was interested in the 950/7100 combo. If anyone has what was your end cost with shipping/exchange etc.? How long did it take? I really appreciate your answers.

Thanks

#24108 - 09/16/03 03:49 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

This topic comes up from time to time.

You will get dinged for additional taxes, duties, and brokerage fees - which have been reported as anywhere from "high" to "outrageous."

I've put together a list of ways to reduce your costs when importing stuff into Canada. Post your email address and I'll send it to you.

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

#24109 - 09/16/03 04:10 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
makcace23 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Thanks, I was browsing the past posts and I noticed you knew some info about it Thanks again

mackace23@hotmail.com

#24110 - 09/17/03 08:36 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Oaf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver,British Columbia, Ca...
Jeff,

Though I got dinged for the Outlaw gear, I am interested as well... smichaud at cyberus dot com (sorry for the verbose address, but I am getting way too much spam already! )

#24111 - 09/25/03 01:35 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
apilon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Drummondville, Québec
Hi Jeff,

I would appreciate if you could send me a copy of your list to reduce cost when importing in Canada so next time i do not get rip off by UPS or some other carriers

alainpilon000@sympatico.ca

------------------

#24112 - 09/25/03 06:05 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Ed Hale Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:

You will get dinged for additional taxes, duties, and brokerage fees - which have been reported as anywhere from "high" to "outrageous."

I've put together a list of ways to reduce your costs when importing stuff into Canada. Post your email address and I'll send it to you.

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

#24113 - 09/25/03 06:11 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Ed Hale Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Jeff,

I just preparing to order a 1050. I'd appreciate your your list. My email is erhcom@sympatico.ca

Thanks,
Ed Hale

Quote:

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

#24114 - 10/22/03 10:37 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
ht_addict Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Send it my way please.

ht_addict@yahoo.ca

#24115 - 10/24/03 01:31 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
mab473 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Could you please send me this information also.

My email address is mab473@shaw.ca

Thanks,

Michael

#24116 - 10/26/03 02:30 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
littleneddy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Sorry to do this, but...

Could you send the info to me too at little_neddy@hotmail.com ?

Thanks,
Ned

#24117 - 10/26/03 10:00 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

No problem at all.

I'd be happy to keep sending this out. But because I'm sometimes unable to access the Forum for extended periods of time, I apologize in advance to anyone who does not get their copy fairly quickly. Rest assured that it will get to you eventually, and as soon as I see the request.

Jeff Mackwood

#24118 - 10/28/03 03:07 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Huffer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I would appreciate it as well. Thanks!

jefflhuff@hotmail.com

#24119 - 11/04/03 01:26 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Huck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Port Robinson,Ont, Canada
Please send me the info too,please,Thanks,Huck huckk@sympatico.ca

#24120 - 11/04/03 09:52 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Huck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Port Robinson,Ont, Canada
Thanks for the info! Huck

#24121 - 11/08/03 08:41 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Mikhail Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal,qc,canada
Hi Jeff,

Could you pls send me Canada shipping info.
my email: kour@total.net

#24122 - 11/12/03 04:50 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
tvd51 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Hi Jeff,
Could you please send me the Canada shipping information as well. I'm in BC and interested in model 950.

My email address: tungvando@yahoo.com

Thanks,
tvd51

#24123 - 11/13/03 12:57 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
JPS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi Jeff,

I am interested in purchasing some Outlaw equipment. I would appreciate if you could send me your list of ways to reduce costs when importing into Canada.

I have imported stuff before and the costs are outrageous! My e-mail address is:

jsikora@osc.gov.on.ca

Thanks,

Jody

#24124 - 11/20/03 11:29 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
PTse88 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Hi Jeff,

I too am interested in purchasing some Outlaw equipment. I would appreciate if you or anyone else could send me your list of ways to reduce costs when importing into Canada.

cheers
Patrick
patrick.tse@sympatico.ca

#24125 - 11/21/03 11:13 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Babamar Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi Jeff,

Please send this valuable info to gilles.gervais@videotron.ca

Many thanks.

#24126 - 11/22/03 11:41 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Juan Cortez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello

Can you also send it my way

jaymar602@hotmal.com

Thanks

Jay!

#24127 - 11/24/03 05:52 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
JerryR Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Canada

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

Hi Jeff,
It's nice too see that someone has put the effort forward to help other Canadian Outlaws reduce their import costs to the Great North (land of a million lakes).
Being a happy owner of one of their first products (1050 Receiver), I often wondered how I could receive additional quality products from Outlaw, while not having the surcharge of duty costs and the additional cost of the U.S. exchange rate. Even though, it's still the best value out there!
I've even considered the recent trade-in program towards upgrading to the 950, but, I know that I will greatly miss my receiver and it's fine sound.
Would you please include me on your email list!
Thanks in advance.

JerryR
Toronto
passat1819@myway.com

#24128 - 11/24/03 06:07 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
gsquared Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Jeff

could you please email me your hints on minimizing the landed cost of Outlaw equipment in Canada

gglinavs@serix.com

Thanks

G^2

BTW any Outlaw owners in SW Ontario (London???)

#24129 - 11/27/03 02:00 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
tvd51 Offline
Gunslinger

I'm in BC and I just received 950 yesterday. It took exactly one week with UPS ground (S&H cost USD 34). I paid CAD 64 for brokerage fee. I also paid GST & PST because I coundn't use any tips Jeff suggested. It's interesting that they didn't charge me for duty even though 950 is made in Malaysia.
tvd51

#24130 - 11/27/03 02:55 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Unfortunately Outlaw insists on using UPS for shipments to Canada. As my note above mentions, and tvd51 confirms, UPS' brokerage fees are way too high. He was charged $64 Cdn. The first tip on my tip sheet, which I have just confirmed with Canada Post, is that Canada Post only charges a flat $5 Cdn fee for brokerage on all parcels coming in via USPS - regardless of value. UPS uses a sliding scale. Imagine what the brokerage charges would have been if tvd51's order had included more gear!

Since I know that the Outlaws scan these threads, if they are reading this one here's big suggestion: see if there is any way that you can use USPS for Canada-bound shipments. The net cost to us buyers is way too high because of UPS - and is a buying deterent. I would personally gladly accept a few extras days of delivery time - if that's what would be involved in using USPS instead. I will specifically hold off buying an LFM-1 until the next time I will be travelling to the US and can have it delivered to me there - specifically to save the brokerage fees (and perhaps some duties and taxes - as my tip sheet points out). But since I've got no trips booked, that could be a while. I'd order one today if it could be shipped via USPS.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff Mackwood

#24131 - 11/27/03 09:57 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
digitaltinker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi,
I'd like to put in a request to get a copy of the tips on shipping to Canada.

Thanks in advance!
Digitaltinker

digitaltinker@hotmail.com

#24132 - 12/12/03 02:35 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
portage1975 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: winnipeg, mb, canada
I would greatly appreciate your list Jeff- many thanks from frosty Winnipeg!
portage1975@yahoo.com

Quote:

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

#24133 - 12/30/03 06:32 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Dannic Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Unfortunately Outlaw insists on using UPS for shipments to Canada. As my note above mentions, and tvd51 confirms, UPS' brokerage fees are way too high. He was charged $64 Cdn. The first tip on my tip sheet, which I have just confirmed with Canada Post, is that Canada Post only charges a flat $5 Cdn fee for brokerage on all parcels coming in via USPS - regardless of value. UPS uses a sliding scale. Imagine what the brokerage charges would have been if tvd51's order had included more gear!

Since I know that the Outlaws scan these threads, if they are reading this one here's big suggestion: see if there is any way that you can use USPS for Canada-bound shipments. The net cost to us buyers is way too high because of UPS - and is a buying deterent. I would personally gladly accept a few extras days of delivery time - if that's what would be involved in using USPS instead. I will specifically hold off buying an LFM-1 until the next time I will be travelling to the US and can have it delivered to me there - specifically to save the brokerage fees (and perhaps some duties and taxes - as my tip sheet points out). But since I've got no trips booked, that could be a while. I'd order one today if it could be shipped via USPS.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff Mackwood

Hi Jeff,

I am interested in purchasing some Outlaw equipment. I would appreciate if you could send me your list of ways to reduce costs when importing into Canada.

Thanks in advance

tbattistella@hotmail.com

Onix Rockets 850 Mains
RSC 200 Centre
RS 300 Surrounds
RK 250 Rears

Marantz DV 9500 DVD
Panasonic BD-55 Blu Ray Player
JVC RS 20 Projector
106" DaLite HP Screen

Outlaw Interconnects
Blue Jeans Cables

#24134 - 01/03/04 12:55 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
I_am_BS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Saskatoon, Sask, Canada
Also interested in that information. Thanks in advance

Wow...i think i was sleeping when i replied...guess an email addy would help i_am_bs@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Or maybe you could convince outlaw to post your info up someplace under FAQ or something.

[This message has been edited by I_am_BS (edited January 03, 2004).]

#24135 - 01/03/04 08:47 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Jeff,
Just a quick question? Has your send key started smoking yet........lol? Just had to get that in Thats what I like about this forum, every one is willing to go out of there way to help. Hats off to Jeff.......You da man

Lasher

#24136 - 01/06/04 05:12 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
tvd51 Offline
Gunslinger

I'm thinking of buying Outlaw cables, but UPS told me that the brokerage fee was nearly CAD 40, about 1/3 of the cost of the cables. It doesn't sound reasonable to me.
Come on, Outlaw. Add another option for shipping.
tvd51

#24137 - 01/09/04 08:22 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Jeff,
I live in Ontario and I'm looking at getting the 950B/7100 combo, can you please send along your information on importing into Canada?

One thing I want to know, I have a broker who will take care of the import into Canada, will UPS still insist on doing it themselves? I can concur with what you've said about using USPS. I've bought several things on E-Bay, and I now insist on USPS as the shipping method. It has never cost me more than $5 and has usually been pretty fast.

Cheers

#24138 - 01/09/04 09:25 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

ooops..sorry Jeff, my e-mail to send the info is:

johnster(at)sympatico.ca

Cheers

#24139 - 01/09/04 09:44 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Bytor,

I don't know if UPS will let you opt out of their brokerage system - even if you have your own. Give 'em a call. I'd like to hear the result.

Years ago I was called by a courier firm who asked if it was ok if they handled the brokerage on my behalf, or if I had someone else in mind. But that only happened once. Every other time the courier company has just gone ahead and done it without asking. I don't have a problem with that (since it saves me having to answer a lot of phone calls) so long as they charge a reasonable fee for their service - like the $5.00 Canada Post charges.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#24140 - 01/09/04 10:50 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

UPS tells me that they will allow you to use your own broker. You call them when the shipment is in transit, and they will take the information then. Whats interesting is that they say that on ground shipments, the brokerage fees are based on the cost of the item, but if they are shipped by air, the brokerage fees are included in the price. Very interesting. I'll post more as I get closer to deciding what to do with this.

Cheers

#24141 - 01/10/04 12:20 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
beard Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi, Can you send me the info too> I'm in Whte Rock, BC so it's pretty easy for me to get to the US. My email address is:
bob_hornibrook(at)telus.net.

Thanks!

#24142 - 01/12/04 09:45 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Outlaw informs me that they will still only ship via UPS, and they also inform me that they will ONLY ship UPS ground, so I cant utilize the built-in customs fee aspect of air shipment. I really want to ge the 950/7100 combo, but there's no way I'm going to take a chance on a $600 customs/tax bill.

#24143 - 01/12/04 05:18 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
ndrayer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bytor, it's not that bad... I just had a 950/770 plus cables shipped. You are going to be dinged for GST plus PST applicable to your province. Yes, that's going to be quite a few dollars, obviously. There is NO legal way to avoid these sales taxes! Just think about it: you pay that here on anything and everything you buy.

Apart from sales taxes, there potentially is an extra import duty. You do *not* pay duty on the 770 or 7100, as they're made in the US (as per NAFTA).
I did not pay any duties on the 950. I know that electronics in general from Japan have a duty of 6%, I'm not sure if Taiwan does not have duties, or if the broker & customs couldn't be bothered to asses it.

Outlaw ships the 950 separately from the 770 as they come from different warehouses (so I was told), so you *will* be dinged by UPS twice for brokerage fees, each of ~ C$60. So if you also order cables, make sure they're put into the same package or sent at the same time.

Make absolutely sure with Outlaw that they put correct shipping invoices on the packages that *only* list the package's contents, not your whole order. They did not do this for me, and it's causing no end of hassles -- you'll have to pay for things twice, and claim it back from customs. Also make sure they state the country of origin for each item.

Also, if Outlaw sends you a warrenty item (e.g., they send you the wrong thing and then send you the right thing, or a 'real' warrenty shipment) then make sure that the shipping invoice states the real value (i.e., $1,600) and *also* prominently states something in the vein of "Warrenty Return - NO CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMER" so that you will not be assessed sales taxes. Someone will still have to pay UPS brokerage charges.

Basically, you need to determine if the extra ~C$120 in brokerage costs still makes the Outlaw equipment competitive. I figured it does - easily.

On last note: UPS will use any other broker that you specify. If you work for a larger company they might have an in-house broker that'll do it for significantly less money. Ask your shipping person!

Regards, Nicholas

#24144 - 01/13/04 11:55 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Hi Nicholas,
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your input on this. I guess my contention is that there seems to be a huge amount of guesswork involved in trying to figure out what this will cost me. There have been several postings here telling of $600 horror stories, and I simply dont want to become another one. This could all be alleviated if Outlaw would simply offer their Canadian customers an alternative in shipping (as they do their US customers). To me $120 is way too much for a brokerage fee, add to that the fact that it could be way more, and I would have no choice but to pay it. I'm not complaining about the taxes, or the duties, thats definitely my problem (and a discussion for another day ) and Outlaw is surely free to do as they please, but I can say that if they offered an alternative in shipping (like USPS Air Parcel Post insured or even UPS air, so that I could at least know in advance what my brokerage fees will be), I would have ordered by now. As it stands, I just found a used 950 here, (which will probably be sold before I even finish typing this ) , hopefully the whole shipping issue will become moot, until I order the 7100 to go along with it .

Cheers

#24145 - 01/14/04 12:31 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Interesting thread here and just the kind of information i was looking for.

I have the luxury (in this instance at least) of living 60km from the U.S. border. Just on the other side into Minnesota is a General Store that alot of people from where i live use as a parcel pickup for goods from the U.S. Since i really really want a 755 when the time comes i'll have it shipped there, drive down to pick it up (they call when your order is in).
Once at Canada Customs i'll be responsible to pay pst/gst, and luckily no duty as the 755 is made in the U.S.

Unfortunately for other potential Canadian buyers of Outlaw products, my method is not viable and must resort to paying the high UPS brokerage fees.

I was told by Outlaw last year when purchasing my ICBM that they were looking into having a Canadian distributor for their products but obviously have not worked that out yet or perhaps have changed their minds.
I sure hope they do as i'm sure alot more Canadians will start purchsing Outlaw products.

#24146 - 01/14/04 03:29 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Hi BroonsBane,
As you say, a Canadian distributor would solve a great many of these problems, and undoubtedly lead to increased sales to the Canadian market, I assume that Outlaw was/is looking into that. As it is, last night I was lucky enough to buy a used (8 months old) 950 from a seller only an hour or so away from me, so now the only issue will be the amp. Wanna pick mine up for me???.. .

Cheers

#24147 - 01/15/04 11:48 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Bytor:
Hi BroonsBane,

As it is, last night I was lucky enough to buy a used (8 months old) 950 from a seller only an hour or so away from me, so now the only issue will be the amp. Wanna pick mine up for me???.. .

Cheers

I'd be happy to! Maybe you could throw in a 755 for my troubles!

#24148 - 01/15/04 04:48 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Lol....you betcha...take a cheque??

#24149 - 01/15/04 09:32 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Lol....you betcha...take a cheque??

A cheque?? Sure! Uh, it's not made of rubber is it??

By the way...you wouldn't happen to be a Rush fan would you?

#24150 - 01/16/04 10:33 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

rubber?...nah...urethane maybe, but never rubber...

Lol..how'd you guess??..you must be a Rush fan yourself to have recognized the name.

Cheers

#24151 - 01/16/04 04:31 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:

Lol..how'd you guess??..you must be a Rush fan yourself to have recognized the name.

Cheers

Yeah, huge, monstrous, gargantuan long long long time Rush fan actually!
It's always great to run into fellow "Rushians!!"

#24152 - 01/17/04 01:44 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:

Cheers

oops! I've been a Rush fan for a very very long time. It's always great to run into a fellow fan!

#24153 - 01/18/04 03:16 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Me too, been a fan for decades. I think it should be a requirement of citizenship..lol.

On a bright note, I now have a 950, picked it up yesterday, less than a year old, and no border/tax/duty woes. Yahoo.

Now I need an amp so I can listen to the thing!!

#24154 - 01/19/04 02:49 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Hey! Congrats on the 950. I've been looking around these parts and there is never any used Outlaw stuff to be had.

Sounds like you are just putting a system together. What kind of amp are you looking for?

#24155 - 01/19/04 06:31 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

It's true, there rarely is used Outlaw stuff available around here, I was lucky enough to find this guy selling this mint condition used one about an hour away. Ironically, it was the fact that I was nearby so he wouldn't have to worry about shipping/customs etc. that sealed the deal. I'm looking at one of 4 amps right now, the 7100, 770 or the Anthem MCA-5 or PVA-7. The first thing I have to do is decide whether or not to go 7-channel, from there I have to decide on power. Did you go with the 770? I want to get this system up asap so I can enjoy my *true* surround sound system!!

Bytor

#24156 - 01/19/04 07:14 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
[ I'm looking at one of 4 amps right now, the 7100, 770 or the Anthem MCA-5 or PVA-7. The first thing I have to do is decide whether or not to go 7-channel, from there I have to decide on power.
Bytor[/B]

Well, last fall my wife and I had the plan to go with the Anthem pva-7 and avm20. What a beautiful package, especially the pre/pro. Unfortunately, we came up a little short in funds of what we originally thought we would have so instead we purchased the NAD T763 receiver. It's a 6.1 receiver. It's great and I love it but the plan now is to go with the 755 when $$ permits and use the T763 as our preamp. I use a NAD Monitor Series 1700 stereo preamp with a NAD 2200pe stereo amp mainly for listening to vinyl. We spent a whole wack of cash last year (the receiver,universal player, new tv, upgraded the speakers etc)so i'm not exactly sure when i'll be going for the 755. Hopefully within the next 6 months. I've abondoned the Anthem amp idea. No avm20 means no pva-7. I'd really prefer at this point, considering the above, to go with the 755, sell the NAD receiver and upgrade to an as yet undecided 7.1 pre/pro and then use the NAD 2200 to power my back surrounds. Man i need a lottery win!!
BTW, I don't know if you've heard or not but Rush will be touring this year, the details have not yet been released.
I don't think you'd regret going 7 channel...face it, if you don't do it now, you will do it later, so might as well get it over with! LOL

#24157 - 01/20/04 12:45 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by BroonsBane:
Well, last fall my wife and I had the plan to go with the Anthem pva-7 and avm20. What a beautiful package, especially the pre/pro. I've abondoned the Anthem amp idea. No avm20 means no pva-7. I'd really prefer at this point, considering the above, to go with the 755, sell the NAD receiver and upgrade to an as yet undecided 7.1 pre/pro and then use the NAD 2200 to power my back surrounds. Man i need a lottery win!!
BTW, I don't know if you've heard or not but Rush will be touring this year, the details have not yet been released.
I don't think you'd regret going 7 channel...face it, if you don't do it now, you will do it later, so might as well get it over with! LOL[/B]

A guy I work with here has the AVM-20, he loves it, but I have seen reviews which favourably compare the 950 to the AVM-20, especially considering the difference in price!. Are you of the opinion that unless you get an Anthem Pre, you wont go with the Anthem amp? This is one of the things I have to decide, and honestly, it wouldn't bother me to have the 2 different brands working together, have you heard differently?

I think I would like to go 7-channel ragrdless, I agree with you, if I dont do it now, I'll do it later, so why not plan for it. Of course the big factor is price, but with the $US valued lower against the $CDN, now is a good time to buy, I just wish I had some cash!! Now off to scan the classifieds for a 7-channel amp I can afford.

When is Rush supposed to be touring? Actually, I would LOVE IT if they came out with a new concert video, that would be an AMAZING DVD!!

#24158 - 01/20/04 02:51 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Are you of the opinion that unless you get an Anthem Pre, you wont go with the Anthem amp? This is one of the things I have to decide, and honestly, it wouldn't bother me to have the 2 different brands working together, have you heard differently?
When is Rush supposed to be touring? Actually, I would LOVE IT if they came out with a new concert video, that would be an AMAZING DVD!!

I don't mind going with different components from different companies. At the time when we were thinking serioulsy about that combination it just made sense (as we thought we would have the cash).

If i go with the plan to use my T763 as a pre (it tends to be warmer sounding) and the 755 which from what i've read here and other places on the net sounds a little more brash then i think that would be a worthy combination. I'd like, in some ways at least, to go with the 770 but since i have the NAD 2200 power amp kicking around i might as well save myself a few bucks and use it for the back surrounds when the time comes. If i do get the 755 and use the 2200 for the other 2 channels, i have a Carver stereo amp in the house that i currently am not using and i could use that for my 2 channel vinyl listening.

Moving on to Rush...
They are touring sometime this year for their 30th Anniversary but no details have been released yet. Check out www.rush.com.

Do you have a copy of the Rush in Rio DVD??
It just came out in October. It is recorded in DD which was a bit of a disappointment for me as i prefer DTS but it still sounds great and in front of 60,000 maniacal Brazillian Rush fans the show has tonnes of energy and they play for almost 3 hours. Plus there is the supplemental Disk 2 which is great as well.

What speakers will you be running with your 950 and ?? amp?

#24159 - 01/21/04 01:29 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Moving on to Rush...
They are touring sometime this year for their 30th Anniversary but no details have been released yet. Check out www.rush.com.

Do you have a copy of the Rush in Rio DVD??
It just came out in October. It is recorded in DD which was a bit of a disappointment for me as i prefer DTS but it still sounds great and in front of 60,000 maniacal Brazillian Rush fans the show has tonnes of energy and they play for almost 3 hours. Plus there is the supplemental Disk 2 which is great as well.

What speakers will you be running with your 950 and ?? amp?

I had no idea that DVD was out there, I might have to go and get that this weekend!

As to the speakers, all are Paradigm, fronts are 70P, centre is a CC-350, surrounds are Titans. A 200W amp is actually more than I need, but I would hate to get larger or less efficient speakers and not be able to power them, also, I want to make sure that I have enough power now anyway. I have just made an offer on an Anthem MCA-5 II, which will come in at considerably less than the 755 (after taxes, shipping, duty etc.), if all goes well, I might have a deal on it by tonight, then it's just a matter of getting the darn thing up here....here we go again!!.wanna make a run for me? I'll buy you a cottage or something to make up for it...lol.

It's interesting to note that I started out on this by looking at the NAD's, very nice stuff. I also agree with you that it would be fine for me to pick up a second 2-channel amp for the rear surrounds if I ever want to go true 7-channel. I currently have a borrowed 2-channel Rotel hooked up just to make sure the Outlaw is working properly, which it is.. . I cant wait to hear how the real system sounds when it's all hooked up.

#24160 - 01/21/04 01:43 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Good god this stuff is exciting!! And sure, a cottage (or camp as we call it in these parts) would be a fair deal!
I talked with a buddy of mine last night about all this...he suggested a very good 2 channel amp for my mains and use my NAD T763 to power the centre and rears...UGH! A good plan which i hadn't really considered too seriously until last evening. I don't know which way to go now...i did a little poking around on the net at used Bryston amps ie. 4b, 4bst, 4bsst, and even the 3bst/sst (120w/into 3 channels)...lots of good deals out there for sure. Stay tuned for further developments!

Good luck with your offer on the Anthem. I've read a lot of good things about that amp but have never actually heard one. Let me know if you get it or not!

And yes, you must go out and buy Rush in Rio!! Those fans are so into it they actually sing along to YYZ believe it or not!!

#24161 - 01/22/04 07:09 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Good god this stuff is exciting!!

Aint that the truth!!
Well, I got the Anthem, although it still has to ship, so keep your fingers crossed, you never know what can happen between here and NY, NY!! To celebrate, I just bought the Rush DVD online (futureshop, $27, free shipping!).

So now I wait....and wait...this is killing me!!
Actually, this gives me some time to think about interconnects and such. I guy here pointed me to a website for DIY, I think I'm going to give that a shot. What do you use??

Bytor

#24162 - 01/22/04 11:19 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Aint that the truth!!
Well, I got the Anthem, although it still has to ship, so keep your fingers crossed, you never know what can happen between here and NY, NY!! To celebrate, I just bought the Rush DVD online (futureshop, $27, free shipping!).

So now I wait....and wait...this is killing me!!
Actually, this gives me some time to think about interconnects and such. I guy here pointed me to a website for DIY, I think I'm going to give that a shot. What do you use??

Bytor

Each minute waiting is like an hour, the time just can't go by fast enough. I feel your pain!

I'm not a big believer in spending a lot of $$$$$$ on cables. I use Interlink stuff for my interconnects, Monster 12g speaker cable with banana plugs,a Monster sub cable and some cheap Monster interconnects that i use for my ICBM that i bought from the Futureshop. I have Audioquest component vid stuff for my universal player and my xbox.

I cannot hear the difference between a $50 cable and a $300 cable and besides, i'd rather spend money on hardware!

I have no idea how to do DIY cable but have thougt off and on to try and make myself one and see how it goes. What website are you refering to that you checked out?

When do you expect to get your amp?

You will love Rush in Rio!!!

BTW...
check out this website if you haven't already...lots of good stuff!!
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

[This message has been edited by BroonsBane (edited January 22, 2004).]

#24163 - 01/23/04 03:33 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BroonsBane:

Each minute waiting is like an hour, the time just can't go by fast enough. I feel your pain!

I'm not a big believer in spending a lot of $$$$$$ on cables. I use Interlink stuff for my interconnects, Monster 12g speaker cable with banana plugs,a Monster sub cable and some cheap Monster interconnects that i use for my ICBM that i bought from the Futureshop. I have Audioquest component vid stuff for my universal player and my xbox.

I cannot hear the difference between a $50 cable and a $300 cable and besides, i'd rather spend money on hardware!

I have no idea how to do DIY cable but have thougt off and on to try and make myself one and see how it goes. What website are you refering to that you checked out?

When do you expect to get your amp?

You will love Rush in Rio!!!

BTW...
check out this website if you haven't already...lots of good stuff!!
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

I have a co-worker who's huge into DIY. And I have a fair amount of training in soldering, electrical properties etc etc. so I have no problem with making my own. The big thing appears to be which cable and connectors to use. It actually is pretty cheap to make your own using a belden 89259 cable ($2.25 ft) and some connectors ($9 pr). From what I understand, these would be much better than any store bought non-audiophile cable and still only cost <$20 each to make. The website I'm looking at was recommended by the previous owner of the 950, www.truenorthaudio.com, he seemed to like dealing with them. It's funny you mention canuckaudiomart, thats where I found the 950. He had advertised there and audiogon, and got swamped with responses.

Hopefully, assuming I didn't get taken ( ) on the amp, it should arrive next week. until then I get to plan and plot for my new layout. I might take a stab at making the cables this weekend too. Listen for a biiig bang!

Bytor

#24164 - 01/23/04 08:06 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I have three letters for you guys:

AIM

All the typing and communication one needs. Free!

#24165 - 01/25/04 11:45 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

So? Did you spend your weekend tinkering with cable? I spent mine drooling over a Bryston 3b SST at a local shop.

Jason J: Excuse the ignorance but what the heck is AIM??

#24166 - 01/25/04 01:06 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
AIM instant messaging -- probably the only good thing to come from AOL...

Also, there's Trillian if you like to use AIM, MSN, and ICQ but don't want to run three programs to do it.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#24167 - 01/29/04 06:19 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

BroonsBane,
Well, I got the Anthem, arrived about 10 minutes ago! I'm going to spend the next few days configuring the 950 and MCA 5 and get back to you as soon as my hearing returns to normal..lol

Talk to you soon!

Jason,
What relevance does AIM have to this?

Bytor

#24168 - 01/29/04 06:41 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
In my not so subtle New York way, I was trying to infer that you guys sort of hijacked this thread. It had started as a way for people to avoid excess surcharges and taxes on products shipped to Canada but you guys have turned it into a discussion of your own personal events. I was just trying to suggest a way for the two of you to converse about your systems a little bit easier. Congrats on your new gear and purchases. Sorry for any offense as none was meant.

#24169 - 01/29/04 07:07 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
Sorry for any offense as none was meant.

No offense taken, and your point is valid. I do however, get the feeling that the topic of the thread has sort of become moot since Outlaw told me that it was UPS air or nothing, and I get the impression that that is not about to change in the near future. I can offer one word of advice which is on-topic to this thread, namely, UPS does allow you to use your own broker, and it may prove to be signifigantly cheaper that way (as it was for me).

BroonsBane, looks like they've turned on the lights at the bar..lol...e-mail me at johnster@canada.com and we'll continue this discussion ok?

Cheers
Bytor

#24170 - 01/30/04 12:40 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
I can offer one word of advice which is on-topic to this thread, namely, UPS does allow you to use your own broker, and it may prove to be signifigantly cheaper that way (as it was for me).

BroonsBane, looks like they've turned on the lights at the bar..lol...e-mail me at johnster@canada.com and we'll continue this discussion ok?

Cheers
Bytor

You'll have to explain to the masses how you managed to save money with your own broker. I'm curious as hell!

I've emailed you at the above address BTW

#24171 - 01/30/04 11:53 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Don Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jeff:

Could you please send me your information about shipping to Canada.....

Thanks, Don
mitcdon@rogers.com

#24172 - 02/18/04 03:26 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
TCBBQ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CANADA
CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME SOME INFO. ON IMPORTING SOME OUTLAW PRODUCTS UP TO THE GREAT WHITE NORTH!

MY EMAIL TCBBQ@HOTMAIL.COM

Quote:

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

------------------

#24173 - 04/07/04 07:25 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
SKiTLz Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Could you please send the information to me as well.

skitlz@booze-bus.com

Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#24174 - 04/21/04 07:58 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Majestyk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Please send the shipping info my way as well.

wws@shaw.ca

Thanks!

Jeff

#24175 - 04/22/04 09:31 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
just_me_the_dude Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ON, Canada
I sure could use that info as well...

Thanks Jeff!!!

just_me_the_dude@hotmail.com

#24176 - 05/05/04 06:48 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
tomahack Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Please send the shipping info my way as well.

jean.legare@videotron.ca

Thanks!

#24177 - 05/15/04 10:58 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
bucky Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

Jeff I would appreciate any tips you have concerning Canadian shipping. The brokerage fees and duties are outrageous and are a major deterant when it comes to buying from the states. I am interested in the 950pre/pro but will not fork out the hideous UPS charge. My email address is jbackes@golden.net

Thanks from a fellow Jeff

#24178 - 05/23/04 05:41 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
ssjadway1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Hi:

Would appreciate knowing how I can reduce the duties and taxes when I buy the 950.

Thanks.

------------------
HJ

#24179 - 05/23/04 10:50 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

ssjadway1,

Please post your email address and I will send you something.

Jeff Mackwood

ps. to all 30 Outlaws to whom I sent the original Border Tips document: I have just updated it and have sent it to the original email addresses that you posted. If your address has changed and you want the updated version (highly recommended!) please post the new one.

#24180 - 05/23/04 11:12 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
TVG Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: MB, Canada
pleaseeee, send me your shipping tips.

Steve
tvg_mb@hotmail.com

#24181 - 05/25/04 03:39 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
alain_pilon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal, Québec Canada
Please send me the info also my email is a_pilon2003@yahoo.ca

Please post your email address and I will send you something.

Jeff Mackwood

ps. to all 30 Outlaws to whom I sent the original Border Tips document: I have just updated it and have sent it to the original email addresses that you posted. If your address has changed and you want the updated version (highly recommended!) please post the new one.[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------
Alain Pilon

#24182 - 05/25/04 06:10 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
fireman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada
Jeff, I would also appreciate receiving a copy of the info so that I'll know what to do when I order my 1070 next december.

jp.magnan at oricom dot ca

------------------
Jean-Pierre Magnan
Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada

#24183 - 05/27/04 03:32 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
ndrayer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi Jeff,
Please could you send them to me too? My email address is 'ndrayer-at-stylax-com' (primitive spam-foiling formatting).
Thank you very much for this 'public service'!

#24184 - 06/26/04 02:39 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
Sunny Boy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Jeff, thank you for taking the time to compile a list of shipping tips for your fellow distraught Canucks. I would love to receive a copy of this list if it isn't too much trouble - mpicco@ualberta.ca

#24185 - 09/24/04 09:34 AM Re: Shipping-Canada
carrglover Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi Jeff,

If you are still providing this info, I'd appreciate getting a copy: carrglover (at) netscape (dot) net.

Thanks,
Doug.

Quote:

Jeff Mackwood
Canada

#24186 - 09/28/04 12:23 PM Re: Shipping-Canada
markusp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi Jeff, If you are still willing to hand out this info, I could definately use it.

mpukli@penequity (com)

Thanks,
Mark

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts