Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#24048 - 09/09/03 02:48 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

The surround back speakers are generally mono, anyway except for a few cases like Logic 7

and of course DPL IIx (which coincidentally happens to be the title topic of this particular thread)

Best,

Will

#24049 - 09/09/03 09:31 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
nonzero Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Sdurani,

I think I got it. I'll give you a clue - think about soundhound's user name.

#24050 - 09/10/03 12:47 AM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by nonzero:
I think I got it. I'll give you a clue -
Thanx, but keep the clue. Instead, if your reeeeaaaaally 'got it', explain why Hollywood has to choose between making "good movies, rather than ones with a zillion channels." Any reason why Hollywood movies can't do both?

Best,
Sanjay

#24051 - 09/10/03 02:04 AM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
C'mon guys, please drop the p*ss*ng match. It does no one any credit. Lots of good info here, let's stick with that.

#24052 - 09/10/03 01:31 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
surroundophile Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, Il. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by dengor:
Typical 5.1 surround sound requires 6 speakers. Most non-audio/video-phile friends I talk with think that having 6 speakers in the typical family room is quite a stretch, and some are resistant to even having that many speakers. I have a very large room (18 ft by 18 ft with 9 ft ceiling) and the 6 speaker setup fills it out just fine - with plenty of good sound localization.

Do the manufacturers pushing more speaker formats have an idea of what (small?) portion of the public wlll buy these 7- and 8-speaker formats? what's next -- a speaker in the center of the room on the ceiling? 2 speakers in the ceiling? a speaker under the chair for that rumble below? a speaker every 6 inches?

Enough already -- this is way, way, way past the point of diminishing marginal improvement.

It's already been done using existing technology. There are DVD-Audios and SACDs that have a height channel (by using the sub .1 channel) or expanded stereo coverage (by using the center and sub.1 channels) as left and right side channels.

#24053 - 09/17/03 01:43 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
Will Offline
Desperado

Just learned Sherwood Newcastle's P-965 pre/pro/tuner which is supposed to ship late next month, will have DPL IIx and Dolby Virtual Speaker. Even the first units to ship will have that, so there shouldn't be an upgrade issue anymore.

There's some preliminary information on the P-965 and the R-965 receiver, at the top of the www.sherwoodusa.com page. I'm guessing the P-965 will be by far the least expensive pre/pro or pre/pro/tuner with DPL IIx when it comes out.

This may encourage Rotel and Outlaw to offer DPL IIx sooner rather than later, either as an upgrade to their existing lineup or in a new model, in order to stay competitive with the changes in technology over the last 18+ months.

Still, no announcement yet from Rotel or Outlaw, as far as I know...

Best,

Will

#24054 - 09/17/03 02:09 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Will,
Quote:
Still, no announcement yet from Rotel or Outlaw, as far as I know...
I had mentioned earlier in this thread that it would be interesting to see how the Fosgate FAP-T1 was upgraded to PLIIx because the unit was based on the same Eastech prototype as the Outlaw 950. Well it turns out that there isn't going a software upgrade but rather a trade-in deal to a newer, higher priced Fosgate model: the FAP-T1+. How this bodes for the 950 remains to be seen, because it isn't clear whether Fosgate couldn't upgrade their unit or didn't want to.

Best,
Sanjay

#24055 - 09/18/03 04:28 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
Will Offline
Desperado

I wonder what Outlaw (and Rotel) will do. Since their current (inexpensive) models are over 18 months old, maybe they're better off building a newer inexpensive pre/pro to compete against the Sherwood Newcastle, rather than add one feature, DPL IIx, to their current model.

Who knows when they plan to build a new inexpensive pre/pro. But whenever they do, I'd imagine it might leapfrog the Sherwood pre/pro/tuner, to support "current" features like the digital DVD-A/SACD standard, which will before long I believe, be a "must have" for HT pre/pro's.

Will

#24056 - 09/26/03 10:08 AM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
alfredo mora Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Corona CA
Any comments from Outlaw regarding the possibility of upgrading the 950 to PLIIx? yes or no,or are they checking into it?

thanks!

#24057 - 09/28/03 12:05 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
Balisong Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I wonder what Outlaw (and Rotel) will do. Since their current (inexpensive) models are over 18 months old, maybe they're better off building a newer inexpensive pre/pro to compete against the Sherwood Newcastle, rather than add one feature, DPL IIx, to their current model.

Who knows when they plan to build a new inexpensive pre/pro. But whenever they do, I'd imagine it might leapfrog the Sherwood pre/pro/tuner, to support "current" features like the digital DVD-A/SACD standard, which will before long I believe, be a "must have" for HT pre/pro's.

Will

Why does'nt the 950 right now support DVD-A/SACD?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM