Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#24028 - 09/06/03 06:45 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Like I said, if I have to explain, you wouldn't get it.
Why don't you try to explain what you meant, this way we'll know for sure whether I would or wouldn't "get it". I've articualted my position; it shouldn't be so hard to explain your's.

Thanx,
Sanjay

#24029 - 09/06/03 07:45 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Maybe I am missing the point, what is so great about PLIIx? I kept reading all the hype about PLII and couldn't wait to hear my cds again, but after a while I grew bored with it and am back listenting to them in stereo, (sorry, didn't mean to use the "S" word). Now we are going to generate two more channels in back, for what purpose? I love technology, and am glad for the experimenting, (keeps Dolby Labs in business), but what is the significance of this "advance?" If the musicians want sound in seven seperate channels because of its artistic significance, then I am all for a supporting format. But to just convert a two channel source, I am not interested.

#24030 - 09/06/03 08:08 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
BTW, "a speaker under the chair for that rumble below" (i.e., bass shakers) have been around for some time from companies like Clarke Synthesis and ButtKicker.

Speaking of which, I just added some to my home theater. Took me a while to get the levels correct, but now that I have, they do add a little more gutteral feel to bass.

Jeff

#24031 - 09/06/03 08:27 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejate:
Maybe I am missing the point, what is so great about PLIIx? I kept reading all the hype about PLII and couldn't wait to hear my cds again, but after a while I grew bored with it and am back listenting to them in stereo
But at least you tried it. Just as you grew bored after a while, certainly there were some people who had the opposite reaction: the more they listened, the more they enjoyed. People are moving from 5.1 to 7.1 systems, so PLII was expanded from 5 to 7 playback channels. Dolby responded to a growing market; simple as that.
Quote:
But to just convert a two channel source, I am not interested.
Right. So it's not that you're missing the point; i.e, you understand why it was done but you simply aren't interested in this technology. Fair enough: people who don't like coffee may see the point of why Starbucks introduces a new flavours, but it doesn't mean they're personally interested.

Best,
Sanjay

#24032 - 09/06/03 08:32 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Jeff,
Quote:
I just added some to my home theater...they do add a little more gutteral feel to bass.
Anything's better than those jumping beans you glued to the bottom of your chair. BTW, which output are you using: sub or LFE?

Sanjay

#24033 - 09/06/03 10:55 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Why don't you try to explain what you meant, this way we'll know for sure whether I would or wouldn't "get it". I've articualted my position; it shouldn't be so hard to explain your's.

Thanx,
Sanjay

It wouldn't be too hard to explain, I'm just afraid it would be hard for your to comprehend. Sorry...

#24034 - 09/07/03 12:39 AM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
For the record, the point was both glaringly evident and elegantly stated.

To me (and every single musician I know), PLII, and any extensions thereof, are only about shelf space.

#24035 - 09/07/03 01:42 AM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:
For the record, the point was both glaringly evident and elegantly stated.

To me (and every single musician I know), PLII, and any extensions thereof, are only about shelf space.
And that has what to do with Hollywood making good movies? Since it's glaringly evident, please explain the connection (since Soundhound is unable to).

Thanx,
Sanjay

#24036 - 09/07/03 12:20 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bossobass:
Since it's glaringly evident, please explain the connection (since Soundhound is unable to).

Thanx,
Sanjay

I didn't say I was unable to explain it - I said that you ware unable to comprehend it. If you haven't figured it out by now, I would move on to another subject.

#24037 - 09/07/03 01:43 PM Re: Dolby's DPL IIx has 7.1 Channels
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
I didn't say I was unable to explain it
You don't have to say it; your dodging of the question makes it glaringly obvious.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM