Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23901 - 02/06/08 06:16 PM GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maine
Hello Outlaws,

Is anyone familiar with GlowPowerUSA cables? I've been researching all the different analog interconnect cables (in budget range--sub $100 for a pair)...bang for the buck of course. Outlaw, Signal Cable, Audio Art IC3. There is limited information regarding GlowPower, no magazine reviews. I'm not sure that this is a new company that hasn't made a name yet.

Unfortunately, my funds are limited. I now have Outlaw PCA's between the pre and amp. I would like to go with a different brand to compare. The new cables are for two new tube processors to be placed between cdp and preamp. I am happy with the 990/7125 multichannel sound, however I want to tweak the two channel quality, thus the tube processor.

I realize cables are subjective and highly debatable. Any input would be appreciated.

BTW--I found an interesting audio e-zine during my searching.

Affordable Audio

AK
Outlaw 990/7125/ATI 150; Mirage OM-5 Mains,OM-C2Cntr,OM-7 Sides,OM-9 rears; Boston Acoustics P1000 Sub; Sony NC555ES CDP; Panasonic 52" plasma, Sony 34" XBR CRT; Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer; Belkin Pure AV P60

#23902 - 02/07/08 03:33 AM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
I love Signal cables with the Bullet RCA plugs.
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#23903 - 02/07/08 03:56 AM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Liz King

How do you like your tube preamp? And do you have the Signals connected to it? Are you running all Signals for that matter?

I've read good things about the Signals. Ultimately, it would be nice to grab a set of all, and compare.

How many cables brands did you go through until staying with the Signals?

I am also interested in some DIY cables. So many choices and not enough cash. The audiophiles conundrum...

AK
Outlaw 990/7125/ATI 150; Mirage OM-5 Mains,OM-C2Cntr,OM-7 Sides,OM-9 rears; Boston Acoustics P1000 Sub; Sony NC555ES CDP; Panasonic 52" plasma, Sony 34" XBR CRT; Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer; Belkin Pure AV P60

#23904 - 02/07/08 04:36 AM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

BTW--Liz King how did the comparison between the Outlaw PCAs and the Signal Silver ICs? Safe to assume the Signals work better for you? I'd be curious to hear what your listening experience, if you have the time to share.

Thank you,
AK

#23905 - 02/07/08 09:40 AM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Akdrama,

I really like the Singal ICs, esp. the Bullet Plugs which improve the SQ. You can get custom lenghts with Signal Cables. I also have one of their AC cords and I love it.

Liz
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#23906 - 02/07/08 09:46 AM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

AK,

I have had this tube preamp for years. I use Mullard 7DJ8 tubes in this modified unit. I use a audio swigtch box so I can use both the 1070 for surround and the tube unit for Cds.

I just sold my former Anthem AVM-30 which was awesome for surround yet terrible for music.

The 1070 when I used the multi-channel DVD input in Bypass mode (analog) and the switch in the back set for HF/LF so the sub works in analog mode, the SQ is good.

These days all new HT stuff have terrible preamps so mucis is lousy yet the 1070 is decent.

My Tube preamp is really great and it is a dedicated premap and i use mullard tubes.

The SQ is Fuller, more detailed, open and more 3D.

Hope this helps?

Liz
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#23907 - 02/07/08 03:11 PM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by akdrama:
Liz King

I am also interested in some DIY cables. So many choices and not enough cash. The audiophiles conundrum...

This is a thread for making some interconnects which will be as good as anything you can buy (assuming your workmanship is good!)

#23908 - 02/07/08 04:05 PM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you for your input Liz...

During my early childhood, my father had IMF transmission line speakers powered by Audio Research tube preamp and amp. Forever tainted to hi-fidelity. That was the last tube system I heard.

So as I listen to my speakers and my recently acquired (Nov) Outlaw separates, there is a little voice in the back of my head saying tubes, even though its been 25 years or so since I've heard em. My intuition could be totally wrong, but this is what the experiment with the tube processor is for.

I really enjoy the sonic qualities of the 990,especially for HT. However, in stereo there's just that small thing that seems to be lacking which would take the listening experience "to the next level." It seems like there is not quite enough emotion to the music, if that makes sense.

So before I venture into a new CDP realm, I figured I'd get all my cables caught up. Essentially tweak what I have now. I've looked for used Signal Cables on Audiogon, but no luck.

I will be ordering cables later today, so if anyone is interested I will keep my cable process up-to-date. So in the future others who follow into the realm of "budget/bang for the buck" cable upgrading will of some subjective resource. I am also curious to know if any outlaws are using outlaw solid state with tube gear.

AK

#23909 - 02/07/08 04:10 PM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you Altec...I will check the link out.

AK

#23910 - 02/07/08 08:01 PM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Thank you for your input Liz...

I am also curious to know if any outlaws are using outlaw solid state with tube gear.

AK
I do exactly that - check the pix in my signature. The outlaw 950 preamp is sonically transparent for all intents and purposes.

However, for stereo music listening, I route the signals from my CD player, turntable and tape machines directly through my tube preamp, mostly because the Outlaw preamp is redundant in that instance.

#23911 - 02/07/08 09:45 PM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Nice AR amp...and is that an ATI amp I see on the bottom. I scored a used 1502 in a local DJ audio store for $100. He took it out of a clients club and didn't research the value of the amp.

BTW--nice custom pre amp as well. I admire people who can circuit their own components.

AK

#23912 - 02/07/08 11:03 PM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Altec Offline
Desperado

That is an ATI 1504 four channel amp which drives the four surround speakers. The Audio Research amp drives the center in active bi-amp mode. The whole amp is heavily modified, and the channel which drives the HF compression driver is modified to work in triode mode.

The left and right mains also run in active bi-amplified mode with the LF being driven by the Dynaco MK IIIs (modified) and the HF compression drivers driven by the Cary stereo single ended triode amp (modified, with an outboard linear power supply for the output tube heaters). The active crossover I also designed and built with a crossover frequency of 500Hz

The four subwoofers (two for each stereo channel) are driven by a modified Soundcraft SA-1000 1000 watt amp.

#23913 - 02/08/08 02:24 AM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Hi Altec,

I see you are an Audiophile too. I feel the trend these days is for surround only and not for music. This is why I am using my old modified Tube preamp so I can play CD's and hear music again. I use the 1070 for the sub and the SQ is great. I am not able to play SACDs and use the sub. The tube preamp puts out way to much voltage for my amp sI I orders 12db In Line Attenuators. I am hoping that help the bass. I may want a 2nd HSU sub and run a 2nd set of outputs from the tune preamp into the subs and use their crossovers.

Altec, whichg tubes do you use, type and who makes them? I do not like the current Russian tubes, I think they sound like crap.
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#23914 - 02/08/08 03:19 AM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Altec Offline
Desperado

I use a combination of NOS and European manufacturers. I use the Russian Electro-Harmonix 300B tube for the SET amp. I have no complaints either aurally of of it's measured distortion spectra, which drops off like a rock after the 4th harmonic. The input 6SN7 for the SET is a NOS GE tube.

I usually don't get too wrapped up in tube brands. If I don't like the way something in my system is sounding, I can design it, or redesign it till I do.

I have a few SACDs, but honestly like the sound of vinyl stereo LPs better than any digital commercial release I've heard, in any format.

I have a recording preamp/mixer I made for making live recordings, and this, in combination with a modified digital audio workstation (ProTools), yields digital recordings which can hold their own with a vinyl release (and are better in terms of low end response and noise).

#23915 - 02/08/08 05:36 AM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
I feel the trend these days is for surround only and not for music.
Liz...

Music quality may have always been there, just on the higher end of the spectrum. As far as the fascination/focus with surround sound...I wonder if it might simply be the case of the newness of the technology, and the availability of digital format. Mass marketing (box stores) focuses on HT. Which ultimately feeds into the idea of the "latest and greatest" syndrome. I keep reading new posts of audio people wanting to know when the next gen 990/Outlaw is coming out. With many vague statements of "I can't wait any more" I'm going to buy Onkyo or NAD (for immediate example) to get HDMI 1.3.

What I appreciate regarding some of the threads in the Audiogon and several other forums...the respect for past/vintage products and the understanding of sonic value in a component. Audiophiles seeking out vintage gear because of its sonic quality. There is no vintage gear in the surround realm, Unfortunately, it's always changing.

The internet has opened up my perceptions to all of the different audio potentials. I tried reading my dad's Stereophile magazines years ago, but the prices turned me off. I could never afford what the magazine was reviewing. However, in my sparse economic and nomadic state, I was able to put together some semblance of sonic sanity.

Now that I am able to extend my budget a bit, my research has expanded beyond the box stores. Please correct me if I wrong Altec, tubes seem to be prevalent in two channel audio. Even though there was a shift with the advancement of solid state in the 80's, it seems now the focus is swinging back to tubes because of economics of manufacturing. Simply tube components are becoming more affordable to the budget conscious buyer. Also, the hi-fi stores slowly disappeared in the 90's. OR...maybe the advent of the compact disc through a major wrench into the whole analog world.

The general public/consumer is not able to maintain the knowledge of oh, say "Altec" or "Gonk". Some of us have to play catchup when our perceptions open up to a wider view of the audio world. Thank dog for the internet.

Pardon my digression from the original cable thread (a few barley pops with visiting family) wink . I live in a small, low economic community...so I don't often get to talk about my audiophile obsession.

One further note...which is important. For quite a few years, I had wanted to purchase separates (which I was raised on). I waited ten years. I watched the growth of Outlaw for almost six years. My two channel sonic obsession didn't reignite until I purchased the 990/7125 a few months ago. I have bought more cd's in the last few months, then combined over the last three or four years. I wanted to wait for the next gen 990, but the "Double Down" promo got me. Purchasing the 990 has motivated me to move forward in refining my system...on a non-profit budget.

So Liz...I got lost in the surround format...but the 990 brought my focus back to the importance of two channel fidelity.

Now I am looking forward to the tweakings.

AK

#23916 - 02/08/08 03:22 PM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Quote:
I feel the trend these days is for surround only and not for music.
Liz...

Please correct me if I wrong Altec, tubes seem to be prevalent in two channel audio.
AK
That is certainly the trend. I used to have tube amps for all my speakers, surround and all, but it simply got unmanageable, not to mention HOT! eek

Generally, people who invest in tube gear are more concerned with quality music reproduction, and that is still stereo. Surround music didn't catch on (at least with SACD and DVD-A), but it is still up in the air if the new video formats will be used to popularize surround music.

From my own experience, I am tremendously unimpressed with surround mixes from a artistic taste point of view. There are some good ones like Dark Side of the Moon, but there are also some really unmusical ones.

I've done several surround mixes myself, and always am thinking it's a rather pointless exercise, because it doesn't really add anything beyond stereo from a musical point of view, i.e. serving the music rather than the technology.

The problem with surround is that we are used to music being presented historically in a front-centric manner (the Berlioz Requiem notwithstanding). Instruments coming from all directions behind the listener is generally unnatural. If the surrounds are used for ambience only, there is the feeling that those channels are not contributing "enough" to justify the extra channels.

As an aside, in my own system, for the playback of selected CDs, I've taken two studio reverb units and assigned one to the side surrounds and one to the back surrounds. I load slightly different programs into each, with the rear surrounds having a more "deep" ambience program than the sides, with more delay. This combination is able to simulate the reverb field as well as that on most classical SACDs, and affords a lot of flexibility in tailoring the relative size of the "room".

Of course this reverb processing can be switched out, and I never use it with vinyl playback, since a record tick reverberating into the surrounds is very unnatural!

Actually, in a many multi-channel releases, the reverb field in the surrounds is created in just this manner.

#23917 - 02/08/08 09:15 PM Re: GlowPowerUSA Interconnects??
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

I do not like the surround sound for music either. I feel stereo sounds more natural and truer to the source.

Surround is good for movies and broadcats.

I have 12 SACDS and I do not listen in multi-channel mode.

Music is what makes me use my tube preamp.
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM