Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23817 - 04/13/07 02:00 AM XLR and bi-amping: How?!
tryrook Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Ok, I'm just about set to pull the trigger on buying 8 of the 2200s to run my four channels in bi-amp configuration (no center channel). I have a Sunfire TGII pre/pro that I am likely going to hang onto that has five balanced outputs (for a five channel set up).

My questions are - is it worth going to the XLR connectors over RCA? And if so, is there such a beast as an XLR Y-adapter so that I can split each channel to run to two separate amps? Where can I get something like this? Is it worth going "audiophile" or does the very nature of balanced connectors basically preclude the need for high priced esoteric cables?

Thoughts appreciated!!

#23818 - 04/13/07 03:14 AM Re: XLR and bi-amping: How?!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There was a lengthy and quite interesting debate regarding the question of balanced vs unbalanced connections starting around here and continued in this thread . Bottom line: there's no clear concensus for short distances, although for long runs it's commonly considered reasonable to lean toward balanced.

There are XLR splitters. About half way down this page you'll see this . Other examples are here and here . The Cobant Y Splitter can be had with one female XLR and two male XLR's for $27.50.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM