Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23764 - 02/26/07 05:18 AM Interconnects and the 1070?
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
Greetings all,

I want to hear from ALL of you, your opinions about Interconnects , 5.1 and, subwoofer cables while using the 1070.

The PCA outlaw cables look nice, I am thinking about them. I also like to compare 2-3 brands. The number 2 choice is BetterCables.com Silver Serpent and number 3 is Cobalt Cables.

Let me hear everyone please , your pros and cons about cables.

Liz
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#23765 - 02/26/07 06:43 AM Re: Interconnects and the 1070?
AARONMADLER Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Needham, MA
I have used cables from Outlaw, U Do It Electronics, Monster and Blue Jeans. I especially like the locking banana plugs speaker wire from Blue Jeans and the balanced interconnects and optical cables from Outlaw.

Outlaw 990, Aragon 8008X3, 8008, Denon 3930CI, Dahlquist DQ20, Outlaw LFM-1+, Paradigm Atom, Mtrola DCT3416 I

#23766 - 02/27/07 09:19 AM Re: Interconnects and the 1070?
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
I have recently upgraded most of my cables and, after a lot of research, settled on DH Labs Silver Sonics. They make a very wide product line, from silver coated OFC all the way up to solid silver interconnect. Though I still have a few links to go, right now I'm using their BL-1 interconnect for CD to my 970. For the 970 preamp out (not an issue if you have the 1070) I'm using their Studio Pro interconnect which I terminated myself with their Ultimate RCA Connectors. Lastly, just as an FYI, I'm using two sets of their T-14 speaker cables to the high and low terminals on my Quads.

I have really, really liked everything I've tried from DH Labs so far and would highly recommend them. My brother recently purchased a pair of their Revelation silver interconnects for his Linn CD player. He loves them, but they're pushing the envelope for my price range. Alternatively, they make a solid core silver cable for the DIYer you can order from partsconnexion and terminate yourself (should your interest run towards solid silver). I may take a whack at building a pair of those in the near future for my phono stage.

For sub, I use the CatCables CoolCat sub cable and prefer it over the Dayton Audio cable I used previously.

I think you'll find there are a million products out there that all have their own loyal following. I personally like the DH labs because they are neutral, open and airy and are not insanely priced. Lastly, being able to order the cable in bulk and terminate it yourself adds some costs savings.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#23767 - 02/27/07 10:50 AM Re: Interconnects and the 1070?
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Liz':

One more point... Cables are a great way of manipulating the sound of your system. For example, do you need to do something corrective? (i.e. a system that is too bright? Too veiled?). Or additive? (i.e. more bass). Or are things, to quote Baby Bear, "just right?" (meaning you want neutral cables).

It used to be that you could go to your local hifi store and borrow a few cables to see what you like. But in the days of Internet retailers, those options are harder to find, so I would strongly suggest you Google a few brands you are looking at for reviews. You can also click over to the Cable Asylum at www.audioasylum.com and do a search for a specific cable make/model for user reviews. Another good source is audioreview.com.

Bottom line is, cable are VERY system specific and, unless you have an opportunity to try things in your own system before purchase, you would be wise to do a little homework up front to minimize the chance you'll pick a cable that does not suit your electronics and speakers.
System Pics

#23768 - 02/27/07 05:21 PM Re: Interconnects and the 1070?
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Lizard King,
another place to try is Signal Cable.com . I just installed a pair a of bi-wire speaker cables. Very nice construction and I am really liking the sound. I replaced DYI CAT5.
I am going to try the analogs next - reasonable price. The site is relatively free of cazy "snake oil" claims and also sites electrical spec. Which you can compare to reviews on places like audioholics.com

I also have several pairs of PCA's from Outlaw. Nice cables. i have a couple where the skin is pulling away from the plug - though.

I have heard good thing from Blue Jeans cables and River Cables. Where River cables might be a little more expensive.
I stay away from monster. It is all right and will work in a pinch. but there is so much more for the same or lower price.

IMHO, quality cables are a must, but i would not go so far and say they are sytem specific.
... So have fun on your quest for cables and keep asking questions....
Later

#23769 - 02/28/07 09:45 AM Re: Interconnects and the 1070?
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Just to clarify what I mean by system specific, let me lay out a scenario based on cables we used to sell during my retail days (forgive the references to older products):

Customer 1 (Steve) walks into the store and buys a pair of Apogee speakers and a Conrad Johnson tube amp. Being that both products tended to be on the warm / dark side of the frequency spectrum, a cable that counterbalanced those qualities, such as products made by Straight Wire, would be just the ticket. I'd recommend a pair of Music Ribbon speaker cables and one of their interconnects.

Customer 2 (Dave) walks in and buys a pair of Martin Logan CLS and a Motif amplifier. Now, both of those products are very revealing and extended in the highs, so the Sraight Wire products would make the amp / speaker combo sound way too bright and strident. To counterbalance this combo's tendency to be too bright and fatiguing, I would recommend a pair of MIT 330 interconnects and MIT Music Hose speaker cables.

Why? Compared to the Straight Wire products, the MIT products are more warm, liquid and rolled off on top. I would correct the problems with the amp speaker combo by using cables that worked well for the tonal qualities unique to that specific system.

Dave calls Steve and says he has GOT to try the great new MIT cables he bought. So he brings them over, hooks them up to Steve's system and... they sound like crap compared to the Straight Wires. Steve thinks Dave got ripped off and has hearing problems. In actuality, both guys have good cables for their systems, but they don't perform well in each other's, as their speakers and electronics have such different sonic signatures.
System Pics

#23770 - 03/01/07 02:24 PM Re: Interconnects and the 1070?
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Thanks for the responses. I do not wish to do a DYI project as that is not my strenght. I will use either Outlaw PCA, BetterCables Silver Serpents , or Cobalt Cables. As I learn more about design and enginerring, the more I belive these three will work and I have no need for exotic brands.

TMDLP, those signal cable cables look nice. Do you use them and if so, what are your recommendations?

Liz
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#23771 - 03/02/07 11:50 AM Re: Interconnects and the 1070?
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
L. king,
I am impressed w/ signal cable. Good construction and nice terminations. I picked up the "Ultra" speaker cables and had bi-wire termination. Bananas to spades for connections.
They have found a home in the system. I would buy from them again. Probably when i set up a dedicated 2 channel system.

Overall, keep asking the questions, hang in places like this forum and your question will be answered.
PCA's: Start w/ places like Outlaw, Axiom, Blue Jeans, etc .... as they provide good quality products and go from there.

IMHO: Speaker cable from Blue Jeans, Axiom, or signal Cable (etc) will give you years of satisfaction and the most out of your equipment with out breaking the wallet. When you move out of this price range and go up, it is all very personal and a lot of marketing.

TmDLP

#23772 - 03/02/07 07:25 PM Re: Interconnects and the 1070?
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Hi TMDLP,

The signal cable looks decent. Now I will add them to my list: 1) Outlaw, 2) BetterCables Silver Serpent, 3) Cobalt Cables and Signal Cable.

Anyone hear use the PCA, silver serpent and Cobalt Interconnects and can she some light?

Liz
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#23773 - 03/03/07 07:24 PM Re: Interconnects and the 1070?
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Hi TMDLP,

I spoke with Frank Dai at Signal cable today. I am thinking about the silver cables for the stereo inputs from my Denon 3930Ci to the hope to be soon, Outlaw 1070. I like that he uses the bullet RCA's. I may wnat to try both the silver and the better copper ones. Have you used these yet?

Liz
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts