Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23756 - 02/08/07 06:48 PM Are my ears deceiving me?
marterusa Offline
Gunslinger

When I ordered my LFM-Plus I thought that I would also replace all my speaker wire. You fine outlaws directed me to Blue Jeans Cable, of which I say thank you.

I ordered the BJC "white" red/black 12. I installed the speaker wire today and when I played some music I just could not believe my ears. Were they deceiving me? It really sounded like it took my B&W's to a whole new level. I would use the word "crisp". I am just an amatuer when it comes to terms.

For your information the speaker wire I replaced was from Lowe's. But here's something else. My wife who is not into audio whatsoever came home while I was listening to the music. She immediately made a statement that it sounded very good and different (with no prompting from me).

So there you have it. Could you answer me how wire can make such a difference?

BTW, if you are looking at upgrading your speaker wire, go to Blue Jeans Cable. For 40 cents a foot, you can't go wrong. One other thing, I paid 80 cents a foot for my old speaker wires.

#23757 - 02/08/07 08:34 PM Re: Are my ears deceiving me?
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Your ears may not be deceiving you. Speaker wire is sized (the gauge) based upon the speaker load (4, 6, or 8 ohm) and the distance from the amp to the speaker. Longer runs need larger diameter wire. If your previous wire was too small then, yes, you would probably hear a difference.

What distances are you running, what are your speakers rated, and what gauge wire did you use before? It is also possible that your previous wire from Lowes had broken strands that effectively lowered its gauge.

Regardless, nice to hear your system sounds better with such a modest "tweak" and you received unsolicited approval from your wife!

#23758 - 03/02/07 12:36 PM Re: Are my ears deceiving me?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Glad your system is working for you - that's what counts as they say.

Routing bass from the speakers to a sub is bound to clear things up in the vast majority of cases, and the remainder of what you're perceiving is likely due to a mix of what AvFan said and possibly some expectation effect.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM