Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23743 - 02/05/07 10:03 AM Splitting DVI Cable
rappsy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
Hi:

What is the concensus for splitting the DVI signal going to the 1070? I have 3 sources that will need a HDMI/DVI input.

1) HD HVR Cable Box
2) Oppo 981HD (haven't fully decided on this one yet)
3) XBox 360 HD DVD player. (The HDMI cable has not been released but should be one day, and I want to be ready)

-Does it make sense to split?

-Should I not consider the Oppo because it is only HDMI and since it is not an HD player, is giving it a HDMI/DVI connection even worth it? Should I consider a player that has component outs on it as well?

-Any recommendations of players as compared to the Oppo HD981 which is well recommended here? I want to stay at this price range ($249). I listen 85% regular CD's and 15% movies.

Thanks in advance.

#23744 - 02/05/07 10:52 AM Re: Splitting DVI Cable
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It looks to me as if you have a pretty simple situation, actually - I'd run HDMI-to-DVI for the HD DVR and the OPPO 981HD, and stay component with the XBox360. If Microsoft adds HDMI to the 360, you could shift to component for the HD DVR - component will handle 720p and 1080i just fine, and I've found that at least with my HD cable box the picture quality is identical via DVI or component.

While we're on the subject of the XBox 360 and HDMI, I've got a question that might be pretty relevent to this discussion. How will they be adding HDMI to the XBox360? That's a hardware change. The only way I see to add it would be to revise the platform and start selling an "XBox 361" (similar to the way Sony did with the PS and PS2 to reduce their physical size).

Using a player like the Oppo's that has an HDMI output provides a digital signal path for your DVD video all the way from disc to display - just because the source material (DVD) isn't HD, that shouldn't make it less worthy of such a connection.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts