Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23401 - 07/06/04 05:25 PM Long Runs for Componet and DVI - What's too long?
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
I am considering moving some things around and one of my options is to have my HDTV on one end of my fammily room with all the gear at the other end.

What's considered 'too long' when it comes to DVI and Componet cable runs? Also, is it better go the DIY route on the compononet cables, or go ahead drop a small ransom on for the over the counter ones?

Thanks for any feedback,

PhatLac.

Current Set Up:
(2) Outlaw Model 200s
(2) Paradigm Studio 20 - RF/LF
(2) Paradigm ADP470s for Surrounds
(1) Paradigm CC570
(1) SV Subwoofer PC Ultra
(1) Outlaw 950 Pre Amp
(1) Samsung HD931 DVD
(1) Denon 5900 DVD
(1) Samsung HLN50 HDTV Monitor
(1) Huges Sat Rcvr
(1) Samsung SIR TS160 HDTV Sat Rvcr
(1) Toshiba Laptop
(1) Anthem 5 CH Amp (ADPs/CC570)
(lots) Outlaw and Tributaries Interconnects

#23402 - 07/06/04 05:32 PM Re: Long Runs for Componet and DVI - What's too long?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i would use dvi for a long run, and in that case, no i would not attempt to make a dvi cable.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#23403 - 07/06/04 05:35 PM Re: Long Runs for Componet and DVI - What's too long?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm not sure about component video cables, but the DVI standard includes a maximum length of five meters - or about 16.5 feet -for digital DVI cables (similar to the limitations included in network cabling standards). People have reported being able to exceed that limit on DVI using a reasonably well-made cable, but results are only guaranteed out to five meters.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#23404 - 07/07/04 10:21 AM Re: Long Runs for Componet and DVI - What's too long?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
if you decide to get long component cables it will indeed cost you a fortune to get such long cables, so i would recommend using some coax cable with rca plugs on the end. i have worked for places where that is what they use (albeit made by someone else) and it works fine.

you have a dlp tv though, and it would benefit more from the dvi than it would from component. plus you will see more loss on long analog runs than you will on long digital runs.

seems kind of strange that dvi is only rated for 5 meters, they are obviously making a tradeoff somewhere that sacrifices the ability for the signal to travel long distances.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#23405 - 07/07/04 10:45 AM Re: Long Runs for Componet and DVI - What's too long?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I have been in professional presentation sessions where high-end (over $100K) video projectors were being used for very large viewing areas. Needless to say, such a large viewing area allows a viewer, when up close, to see even small degradations to the signal. The standard for connecting these projectors to their sources is usually RGBHV component or one of the variants of YCrCb component. In such cases, with high-quality industrial, multiple-coax cable snakes (note: people in this business would not pay boutique cable prices, nor would such boutique cables hold up to the abuses of many commercial applications), cable runs of a hundred feet are common and even a hundred meters is not exceedingly rare.

For people wishing to use long runs of true digital data, usually one of three things is done. One (least expensive and can be used for true digital, quasi-digital or analog signals), multi-pin connector adapters are used to break-out the actually used pin connections to BNC connectors so that a heavy-duty cable snake consisting of multiple individual coax runs can be used instead of the normal multi-conductor data cable. Second, the normally unbalanced data signals are run through two converters, the first converter creates balanced versions of the data signals prior to the long run, then the second converter re-creates the unbalanced version of the data at the end of the long run for use by the end device. Thirdly, the original data is converted to a format that can be used for runs that can go hundreds of feet, such as serial digital cable, or go for miles, such as optical fiber.

With good quality cable, I wouldn't hesitate to use true component connections over 5m. While "DVI" has some merits and is a current consumer buzzword with some pizzazz and hype, properly connected component is no slouch.

I hope this helps.

Edit: On the DIY issue, I've done some DIY and been satisfied and happy about it. In video signal use, however, if you go DIY, be sure to use cable and connectors that are true 75-ohm or the appropriate impedence for the type of equipment in use. This almost always means using the crimp-style of connectors, so the proper tools will be necessary. The standard crimp tools used for standard RF or cable TV connections won't likely do for the type of cable and connectors you need. If you need only one multi-coax cable with 3 to 6 connectors on each end, an industry supplier pre-manufactured cable is likely your best bet.
I spent the money on the proper DIY tools and Canare connectors, etc. because I made about 35 cables when I first set up and I'll likely be making cables now and then for years to come.

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited July 07, 2004).]

#23406 - 07/07/04 11:54 AM Re: Long Runs for Componet and DVI - What's too long?
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
Thanks all for the information.

I have some major planning to do for the room. Equipment placement is now the "headache" of the month and with a room that is 6780 cubic feat and shaped like an "L", things can get really challenging.

Wish me luck!

PhatLac.

#23407 - 07/07/04 01:27 PM Re: Long Runs for Componet and DVI - What's too long?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
One more item to consider:

http://www.laaudiofile.com/dvi1000hd.html

There are ways to get a DVI connection beyond the stated specs...

It just may not be as cost effective as DIY component cables but it's worth a look.

#23408 - 08/27/04 07:11 PM Re: Long Runs for Componet and DVI - What's too long?
DenverMike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Try CobaltCable...they have a free 30 day trial and money back guarantee. I am using one of their cables within DVI-D spec, but they claim excelllent performance up to 10M ($185).

http://www.cobaltcable.com/product/dvi_cable.htm

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM