Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23378 - 06/07/04 10:52 AM Cabling for a ceiling mounted FPTV
cbell2112 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mt Pleasant, SC USA
At the last minute my builder has agreed to sheetrock my 3rd floor future HT. My plan is to add a FPTV like the BenQ 9800 but I have done no research on these things. Once the sheetrock goes in(starting Wed). I will not have access to the ceiling. If I were to mount the projector to the ceiling, what cables should I run down to the receiver/DVD Player? I'm thinking DVI and composite or do I just need RCA.

Again I have no clue and am scrambling for info here.

I'll probably start setting this up in the next 2-3 years so I definately want to future proof as far as cabling goes.

Thanks for any help!

#23379 - 06/07/04 11:15 AM Re: Cabling for a ceiling mounted FPTV
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
If I wasn't sure of the near-future cabling requirements, and who's to say that the requirements might not change in a decade more or less anyway, I think I would have a generous diameter conduit installed, with very gentle bends, so that I could pull through any cabling necessary at any time in the future. Of course the power circuit should not run through or immediately along side this signal-containing conduit. Additionally, and you'll have to check local codes to make sure, but if you have cable(s) running through the proper conduit, it may not have to be 'in-wall' rated cable.

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited June 07, 2004).]

#23380 - 06/07/04 11:18 AM Re: Cabling for a ceiling mounted FPTV
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
....And be sure to put some decent size string in the conduit too

#23381 - 06/07/04 01:59 PM Re: Cabling for a ceiling mounted FPTV
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Like the other guys are saying. You don't know what you want to put in there so make it so that you can change/install things relatively easily. Large conduit w/ gradual bends so the wires will drop right in. Not sure how easy the string idea would be so that you could tape it and pull right through.

#23382 - 06/08/04 12:24 AM Re: Cabling for a ceiling mounted FPTV
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
there could be a lot of things that you might need... too many to know now. other than a place to connect the power cord from the projector... id say put a really wide piece of code conduit in there, seeing as connectors such as dvi, etc. are big and bulky and cannot be easily terminated by hand (i.e. you will have to feed it terminated the whole way instead of unterminated and doing it yourself at end...)

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM