Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23267 - 03/31/04 01:10 PM Composite and S-Video connections
zmarke Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have read that if you connect a DVD player, S-VHS player, TiVo, or any other device to your Pre/Pro with an S-Video cable then you must connect your Pre/Pro to your TV with an S-Video cable. Is this true?

What if I connect my DVD player with an S-Video cable and my VCR with a composite cable to my Pre/Pro and then use an S-Video cable from the Pre/Pro to the TV. Will this be a problem with the VCR? Will I get a picture when using the VCR?

I just want to make sure before I spend money on cables to connect everything.

Thanks!

#23268 - 03/31/04 01:23 PM Re: Composite and S-Video connections
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Because s-video and composite video are fairly different signal formats, it depends entirely on the video switching provided with your receiver or pre/pro. Some will convert between s-video and composite, while others provide nothing more than basic switching, in which case the s-video inputs are not passed to the composite video output. Also, if your receiver or pre/pro does include conversion, you may see some image quality degradation due to the conversion process. For the most critical sources (such as DVD), I would recommend carrying the same format all the way through no matter what. If the receiver will convert composite to s-video, it might be worthwhile to try connecting the VCR as you are describing to see how it looks.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Who's Online
0 registered (), 99 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM