Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23195 - 01/23/04 01:42 AM Signal degredation on longer runs
bcpuckett Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm looking for information about maximum cable run lengths (unamplified) for both digital coax and DVI signals.

I need more than the 3.5m lengths available with the PSC but am not sure how long is too long.

So how long can I go and where can I get them?

#23196 - 01/23/04 04:38 PM Re: Signal degredation on longer runs
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I work in a facility that has digital video signals running over a hundred feet using Belden 1694A coax. This coax is rated to 3GHz. A mild reduction in analog amplitude of a digital signal over distance does not change the “1’s and 0’s” being transferred, therefore no degradation of the intended data occurs unless the frequency attenuation is so severe that the peaks and valleys of the waveform can no longer be resolved properly at the far end of the cable. In such a case the resulting video or audio image will not just be mildly affected, it will fall apart and the error will be quite apparent.

#23197 - 02/03/04 12:08 PM Re: Signal degredation on longer runs
kidrock Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Prairieville, La. 70769
Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:
I work in a facility that has digital video signals running over a hundred feet using Belden 1694A coax. This coax is rated to 3GHz. A mild reduction in analog amplitude of a digital signal over distance does not change the “1’s and 0’s” being transferred, therefore no degradation of the intended data occurs unless the frequency attenuation is so severe that the peaks and valleys of the waveform can no longer be resolved properly at the far end of the cable. In such a case the resulting video or audio image will not just be mildly affected, it will fall apart and the error will be quite apparent.

Ok in reference to the Belden 1694A coax as your interconnect. I have this question. Since the outer shield is braided tin how are you terminating the ends of the coax cable with RCA interconnects? I myself simply used RG6 coax connectors and then screwed on the RCA connectors. Im thinking this may not be the best connection. But then all I have is my ears...
Thanks

#23198 - 02/03/04 12:11 PM Re: Signal degredation on longer runs
kidrock Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Prairieville, La. 70769
OOPS you can tell that Im a newbie. I forgot to mention in reference to using Belden 1694A coax as an interconnect your quote mentions using it as a digital video interconnect. Im also using it as an audio interconnect, i.e analog in additon as a coax digital interconnect.
Thanks

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts