Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#23134 - 12/13/03 10:07 PM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
What Hassle? You simply screw the adapter onto the F connectors on each end and you have a instant interconnect cable using RG59 as Soundhound's DIY. Your answer to my question must be NO, you have not tried the adapters.

#23135 - 12/14/03 12:20 AM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It may be easier, but I'd probably prefer to keep the signal path simple -- an extra interface (F-connector to RCA) offers an extra place for trouble (oxidation, poor contact, ...). Not that such troubles are always going to happen, but introducing opportunities for them would make me wary. Just my $0.02...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#23136 - 12/14/03 09:02 AM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
I have actually seen this set up for long cable runs to subs at some audio shops around the country. The F to RCA connectors I have seen have ranged from Canare to Radio Shack.

Most of the regular guys at these shops, the ones that are NOT the sales geeks, all say the 75 Ohm cable with the F to RCA connections are fine and no issues have arised.

I just switched out my old Monster brand sub cable for a 25ft 75 Ohm cable with F to RCA connectors from RS so I could test various locations for the sub. The sub response in its original location with the new cable was no different to my ears. All the connectors are gold plated and tightened down pretty darn good and the RCA connection is extremly solid. Is there a reason why this chould not suffice as a long term solution?

#23137 - 12/15/03 08:31 AM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
gonk Offline
Desperado

phatlac, I would not see a problem with leaving it that way if it is working.

------------------

#23138 - 12/15/03 10:19 AM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i was wondering if you could build a house with rg59/rg6 cables? seems like you can use them for everything else.

#23139 - 12/15/03 11:02 AM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
gonk Offline
Desperado

I think most contractors prefer to build a house with power tools. RG-6 makes a lousy hammer.

Seriously, RG-59/RG-6 can work for several different applications -- video and line level audio, specifically, which covers most of the stuff we mess with in our home theaters. Optical digital audio, s-video, speaker cables, and new interfaces such as DVI are about the only home theater items that just really can't be done with RG-59. As for the rest of the house, though, I can't see anybody actually finding much use for RG-59 aside from cable TV or TV/radio antenna wiring. Cat5e can be used for both voice and data (although the explosion of wireless networking has made home LANs somewhat easier); it's becoming common in commercial work to use cat5e now for all voice/data, and I think a fair number of people building new homes are choosing to do the same. And obviously the house power wiring needs to be rated for the application, which RG-59 and RG-6 both are not.

------------------

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts