Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23100 - 07/02/03 02:19 PM 35 foot in wall Component Video
AKamp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Is it ok to just use RG6 with RCA adaptors for the component video for a 35 foot in wall run? If not what would be some of my options? Any information would be appretiated.
Thank You
Aaron

#23101 - 07/04/03 03:23 PM Re: 35 foot in wall Component Video
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
In my experience, there are many quality levels of RG6 cable available. The best can be run up to 1000 feet at digital frequencies of up to 3GHz with minimal loss.

For 35 feet, you would not necessarily have to spend money for ‘the very best available’ in order to obtain excellent results, but don’t buy the cheapest you can find either. It should be 75-ohm compatible cable with either dual, densely woven shield, or a combination of woven and foil shielding. Belden and Canare make some great cables, as do a couple other manufacturers. 35 feet may seem like a long cable run by consumer norms, but in professional settings, cable runs of over 100 feet are commonplace.

For component video, you could run several separate cables, or several cables already bound together inside one overall insulator. If you use separate cables, keep them running close together, perhaps ‘tie wrapped’ gently every six inches or every foot. Don’t tie-wrap so tightly as to distort the round shape of each cable with indentations.

As far as end connectors are concerned, if your equipment uses ‘RCA’ connectors, you will have to either use ‘RCA’ connectors directly, or adapt from ‘BNC’ to ‘RCA.’ If you will be using ‘RCA’ directly on the ends of the cables, the connectors, for video, should be true 75-ohm impedance such as those made by Canare. Personally I would not use solder-on ‘RCA’ connectors sold by Radio Shack intended for audio. The ‘BNC’ connectors with ‘RCA’ adapters should already be a true 75-ohm type.

I hope all goes well for you!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts