Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23095 - 06/25/03 03:29 PM Noise
taizoon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Batavia, IL USA
I have my DVD Player (SONY 999ES) connected via the component outputs using outlaw 0.5m PSC to the 42" sony xbr plasma media box.
when I play DVDs, I see noise in the background. visible in background scenes. Is this normal ? if it is not, what are some of the debugging steps to pinpoint the problem ?
Someone mentioned that it could be the cables Eeeks !!

Thanks
--taizoon

#23096 - 06/25/03 07:24 PM Re: Noise
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
This may sound odd... but it's possible it's a ground loop problem more than emi / rfi noise... Are you using satelite? Or cable? There are lots of combinations of things that can introduce ground loops....

#23097 - 06/25/03 08:47 PM Re: Noise
taizoon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Batavia, IL USA
no. i have no satellite or cable. just a DVD hooked upto the media box. It only seems to be there on non animated DVD movies. its looks like snow that one gets when a TV broadacst signal is not very strong.

#23098 - 06/26/03 11:28 AM Re: Noise
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Two suggestions:

1) If you think it is the cable, change it out. I know cable isn't that cheap, although Radio Shack Gold series works for me, but maybe you can swap cables with a friend. Just a thought...

2) Do you have the components plugged directly into your wall socket? Also, do you have lights on dimmers in the room? Without any type of filters on the line, both of these things can cause snow in your picture. Try watching something with all the lights completely out. You may also want to experiment with different sorts of power filters.

Hope that something along these lines clears up your problem. Don't be afraid to try out something different. Have fun!

#23099 - 06/26/03 01:06 PM Re: Noise
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
taizoon.
Don't know the specs on your Sony Plasma, but some displays are fussy about their native resolution. Have you checked compatibility with the DVD player. You might need to change the default on your display for DVD source.

Whenever I had noise (electrical) interferance on my old CRT, it appeared as minuet horizantial bands in red and blue crackalin away.
Have not ever seen this on my LCD, but have noticed a hugh diffrence between component cable quality.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts