Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23036 - 05/19/03 07:02 PM HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
k2h Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, USA
Hi,

I am having problem taking PCA interconnect cable out from the pre-amps input jacks. I am using Outlaw 950 pre-amp and have the outlaw PCA interconnect to the CD-in locked-in. I needed to connect a new component to the input. Attempting to take the interconnect out from my CD player, ended up spoiling the CD players analog RCA jacks. Is this a common problem? I am trying to turn the silver jacket on the cables connector counter-clockwise but it will not turn by itself. The entire connector moves. HELP!!

Thanks,

#23037 - 05/19/03 07:11 PM Re: HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Locking RCA's can sometimes prove particularly stubborn -- I've used two brands (Outlaw and TMC), and at times both have not wanted to loosen. First, let's get our control volume defined here... If you are looking at the back of the CD player , you should turn the silver barrel clockwise to loosen it (at least, that's the way my memory swears that it turns at the moment -- I've got an extra set in the closet at home that I can verify this on later tonight). If it doesn't want to turn on its own, hold the yellow section at the base of the plug still -- that part should not rotate, and can offer some useful leverage when the plug is particularly tight. If you are looking at the front of the CD player (reaching across from the front and working blind, for example), then the counter-clockwise direction is correct.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#23038 - 05/19/03 08:07 PM Re: HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
k2h Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk,

Thanks for your reply. I have the instruction sent along with the cable, and it says to turn the silver portion of the cable counter-clockwise to losen it up. However, it does not say how the cable held: facing towards you or the natural position that I assume when connecting facing back of the equipment. However, I am trying to losen it up by holding the golden part with one set of pliers and trying to rotate the silver part with another and it still would not budge. It is really frustating to try to simply diconnet a simple pair of audio cable and messing up the rca jacks on the components. Also, the way the cables are made and the rca jacks are situated at the back of the equipment, it does not give you much room to work with. It's funny that I already got blisters on my fingers and the damn cables still would not come out. Am I the only one having this problem? Should I demote myself to technically (or mechanically) challanged??

#23039 - 05/19/03 09:00 PM Re: HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by k2h:
Gonk,

... I have the instruction sent along with the cable, and it says to turn the silver portion of the cable counter-clockwise to loosen it up...

Just the reverse! Looking at things from the rear of the plug, you tighten the connector by turning counter-clockwise, and to loosen, turn clockwise. The threads on mine were somewhat difficult to turn. I removed the outer shells and applied a tad of silicon lube to the threads. They work better now. Once you unscrew one shell you'll see better how the clamping action works.

#23040 - 05/19/03 10:12 PM Re: HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
gonk Offline
Desperado

I checked my cables -- the directions I listed above are correct. Clockwise looking at the back of the unit, counter-clockwise looking at the front of the unit.

------------------

#23041 - 05/19/03 10:17 PM Re: HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
This is why I use BNC connectors on projects I build - it would have been nice if the audio industry had settled on this reliable connector from the start...

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited May 20, 2003).]

#23042 - 05/20/03 07:01 PM Re: HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
k2h Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Guys,

Thanks a lot for all the help. I guess I mis-interpreted the instruction. Also I realize that, with all the attempts I made so far, I just made it even more tight. Will try some more to see if they come out easy.

One more question: How easy it is to replace the RCA jacks at the back of componenets. Are they easy to find replacements that you can buy and replace or they come as a more moduler boards?

Thanks Again,
Khaled

[This message has been edited by k2h (edited May 20, 2003).]

#23043 - 05/22/03 06:43 PM Re: HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
I agree that BNC (or lemo) connectors are better. Those RCA pieces parts are a really cheap design: the ground connection is broken before the signal is.

After having a similar problem undoing my Outlaw interconnects, I just make certain that I do not tighten them down too tight.

When I attempt to undo a connection, I just look at the connector for a while and make certain I understand what is acually taking place inside the Outlaw interconnect when I attempt to turn the locking collar a certain direction. If I have not had too many cocktails, I almost always get it right. If I get it wrong, I assume I have not had enough cocktails yet and give up on the interconnect for a while.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#23044 - 05/22/03 09:01 PM Re: HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Let me guess, it would have cost too much money to silk screen a lock/unlock set of arrows on the PCA connector barrels. Sometimes I have to wonder about about our friends at Outlaw.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#23045 - 05/22/03 10:22 PM Re: HELP: Outlaw PCA cables- Can't get them out
gonk Offline
Desperado

On Outlaw's behalf, I haven't seen anybody else including "loosey-tighty" directions on their locking RCA's, and they work the same way as my other locking RCA's do. (For that matter, I haven't seen directions on screwdriver handles, either, but that's a bit sarcastic of me... )

------------------

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited May 22, 2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM