Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22966 - 02/03/03 01:11 PM Just got my PSC's and...
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Wow! Very impressed

I always try to stay calm when getting new cables, so as I don't let myself prematurely "hear" something better.

My CD Player was hooked up via a 5 year old Monster Toslink. DVD player was using a Acoustic Research HT series Digital Coax.

I connected the new cables and right away, Track 1 on Sarah Brightmans "La Luna" CD, sounded like it opened up a lot more. I'm not talking a little difference either. I'm hearing more instruments, ones I didnt really couldnt distinguish before.

Tracks 6 and 9 were also more pronounced I couldnt be happier right now! Thank you Outlaw, for making such an affordable, high quality interconnect

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

[This message has been edited by SpOoNmAn (edited February 03, 2003).]

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#22967 - 02/03/03 01:29 PM Re: Just got my PSC's and...
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Forum opinions can be brutal, and I hate to leave myself swinging in the 'take a whack' I must look like a Pinata!! category. But I’ve been walking past my Display speakers the last week thinking….Wow, what has come over those 6 little built-ins with their grand 30watts! They sound as good as some receivers I’ve owned in the past, not like the sound I’m used to hearing emanate out of TV’s.

I have not pulled out the AV yet and need to desperately for some work, but it suddenly occurred to me I changed out those tacky little Skinnnnny black wires with the garish yellow/red terminations that came with some little purchase in the past between my STB and the display audio, …replacing them with a new pair of the Outlaw branded PCA’s.

It is a noticeably ENORMOUS difference, cementing Outlaws positioning in my personal rating chart, as a company that provides me with great quality at very good bargain. Now if I could just get them to launch items covering all product categories, - displays, players etc. I’d be happy to give them each a test drive.

#22968 - 02/03/03 02:32 PM Re: Just got my PSC's and...
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

I couldn't agree more

After about 90 minutes of listening, I have noticed that the Outlaws make my setup a lot less bright. Thats a good thing for my ears

I have a Elite 47TX, Elite DV-05 dvd player, and an Elite PD-F17 cd player. My system, along with the new Panamax 5100 being used, sounds so much better, I am so overjoyed!

Words cannot describe how thrilled I am with these cables! And next week,when My friend buys my receiver off me, Im placing the order for the 950/770 Combo! I can't wait!!

I didnt know my Def Techs could be so revealing Ya learn something new everyday I guess.

NOTE..Now if they could only make some cables long enough so that I could use them for Component video. I need about 16 feet

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

#22969 - 02/03/03 02:56 PM Re: Just got my PSC's and...
charlie Offline
Desperado

Well, you know I have to say something. Can I just apologize now, and then move forward?

First, how can you hear PSCs? This is not a wise-acre crack, I'm not an Outlaw interconnect model expert, but I thought the PSC was a video or digital coax cable? The Cd was TosLink, yes?

So I'm guessing you also got an optical interconnect?

In any case, the above is just for my own clarification and has nothing to do with the following comments, really.

For PCM audio (like a CD) delivered over a digital there is a tiny theoretical possibility, if your DAC has no decent ability to time correct the data stream, that there might be some difference in signal output. For packetized data like DD or DTS, not a chance for a timbre change.

In those cases, it is just data and it either gets there or not. If your old interconnects were badly defective you could have had dropouts or data errors, but that would take a truly bad digital interconnect and would not be subtle or hard to identify.

I don't mean to belittle or in any other way disparage anyone, but I strongly suspect you're hearing what you want or expect to. Human perception is a wonderful and complex thing, and like we can see shapes in clouds, we can often perceive things that are not really there.

The bottom line, to me, is that you should enjoy your stuff, and if that's the case, hats off to you.

#22970 - 02/03/03 04:28 PM Re: Just got my PSC's and...
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Apology accepted and right back at cha!

I thought PSC can be used any place you use a PCA (if you want to). I personally have not tried the Outlaw branded PSC yet intend too, and not just for my video, but to hear if they make any difference on an audio connection,

When I first started shopping and committing myself to ad nasium hours web research trying to pick up an inkling of what my options were. The very first topic I ran into was Interconnects snake oil or not.

Just like SH mentioning grunge when running an amp in its idle range, that just ‘felt like a right statement’ to me. So I concluded that as long as a cable was not so rickety that the terminations were ineptly applied to the wire etc, I would be fine. But I took the arguements (and debate on both sides) to my husband for his thoughts, when I was about to purchase new speaker wire. So one night (I don’t know what got into him…he thought it funny I asked) we dragged out every bit of misc. speaker wire and some Cat5 we had laying around…and low and behold with each of us tag team switching wires on 2 speakers without the other knowing which. Both picked out the same two top contenders for clarity of sound out of that hodgepodge bunch. So my husband authorized me to find some ‘decent’ middle of the road speaker wire. But then cracked countless jokes about me spending 800 on Kimber cable. (more than we spent on our last reciever which we purchased on sale).

Subsequently, when replacing interconnects mainly because A) I was short, Having never hooked up serveral options before such as 6.1 DVD-A. and B) because I had such a hodgepodge setup of interconnects all the way from the tinny wienie black wire with the red/yellow terminations we all have laying around from something up to my best at that current time - quality…monster cable. I started replacing all these.
Improvement was visible (on video interconnects when replacing Monsters) and audible on the rest.

I have swung so far into the 'does make a difference' as to assume that if I went and started purchasing several choices on the market I feel I would be hearing ‘slight’ differences ad infinum. I won’t but I was pretty shocked by the difference that was there when replacing the monster cables. Which I had assumed (out of my old collection) the Monsters would have shown the least difference due to replacement since they appear to the eye, well and sturdily constructed.
Toslink, I have not played with yet, just ordered the Outlaw which appear of good quality, and don’t really intend to run that test unless I purchase something that comes with cable included to compare. I can see why theoretically (but theory is just that) the possibility of difference could be less with this product.

Now I don’t know if its different resistances built in with cables, twist method, purity of wire, terminations and etc. But in my own stubborn way I now believe in differences for the foreseeable future. Reinforced by having had a not “Looking for it” difference arise, as when I was startled by the TV speakers sounding better…I even asked my husband if he had done anything to it, BEFORE I remembered I had replaced those interconnects. (I can’t hear the difference in every feed such as CNN reporters chatting, but particularly when watching movies via SAT using the display speakers, there IS a difference.
Now I personally would like to run each set a whole day for a test, because what I generally notice is a collective difference responsible for an occasionally now ‘that’ sounds better. Not instantaneous across the board improvement generally which I can discern such as the red push level affected by using one video connect over another.
I’d be willing to take a Double Blind on it any day. I can surprise people with my talents for discernment like when I won several bets when I was younger because I could tell you the color of the M&M I was munching. (I always won…. no one believed I could truly do it).

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited February 03, 2003).]

#22971 - 02/03/03 06:09 PM Re: Just got my PSC's and...
charlie Offline
Desperado

Like most things analog, interconnects and discussion of them is subject to endless debate with plausible (or semi-plausible) arguments on both sides.

Digital is different, and the fact that folks still hear a difference where it is trivial to prove there is none reinforces, in my estimation, what is going on in the analog case as well. That last may be an unfair generalization, as I'm reasonably sure there must exist some cases where analog cables will make a difference (very tough to drive speakers, high EMI environments, video) but I also suspect the vast majority are expectation. There is a reason scientific tests that rely on human judgment are not generally single blind tests.

Submitted respectfully and IMO, YMMV, etc.

EDIT:

It is my understanding that the design impedance and bandwidth for digital/video interconnects versus analog audio interconnects are different. My take on it is that one should ideally use the correct type for the application.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited February 03, 2003).]

#22972 - 02/03/03 06:57 PM Re: Just got my PSC's and...
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Charlie...I was using a MOnster Toslink for CD player and AR Dig coax for dvd.

I got 3 PSC cables. I am selling the 3rd to a friend. Now the only optical connection im using is for my Xbox.

Where did I say they werent Digital Coax?

These cables can also be used for Component video. Alas, they dont make them long enough so I'll be buying bettercable's.

Looks like I'll be placing an order for 7 of the PCA's when I get the 950/770

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts