Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22940 - 12/20/02 01:06 PM Outlaw Cable Selection
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I would buy the Outlaw optical cables, but it is too long. 6 feet only?? What about people that have there DVD player right next to their 950? I think a .5 meter length optical cable is in order here. Size is part of the quality equation when you are building a system and you want to do it right. Having extra cable draped all over will look a mess and is unnecessary.

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited December 20, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#22941 - 12/20/02 01:24 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Gene:

You can always move your DVD player 5 feet farther away

In my situation, I make my own cables, using RG-59 coax and Canare RCA plugs. This works extremely well for carrying audio, as well as digital signals.

I'm not aware of any optical cables that short. I have a 3 foot optical cable going from my DVD player to the 950, and I just coil it and cable tie it (carefully, with no sharp bends!).

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited December 20, 2002).]

#22942 - 12/20/02 01:48 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The shortest optical cable I've seen was 3 feet long. A 0.5-meter could be handy in some cases. The 1.8-meter is pretty long, but for me it seems to disappear among the other junk back there...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#22943 - 12/20/02 03:35 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Same here. Zip tie very loose large coil to keep it neat. I do like the cable and the extra length is not a problem for me. But alternative lengths are always a nice option.

I have no spaghetti displayed since we moved from the open rack to the new AV stand.

I had a strange reaction to my Satellite Service Tech. upgrading a dish this week....he was back there plugging and unplugging interconnects etc. when he could not lock to signal. (turned out he had tuned the main LNB to the wrong satellite). I could not see what all he was up to and it really bought out all my protective instincts, I did not like him messing with the cables AT ALL. Now I feel a nagging urge to get back behind it this weekend and see if anything was left routed differently. I thought it was funny I would feel so.

#22944 - 12/20/02 06:29 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Below is my equipment cabinet, shown at the web link. I cannot get this link to appear in my signature for some reason, but that's another problem. All cables are neatly tucked away, but I just think having miles of cables crammed into the back is a bit tacky. The Outlaw cables that are there now are neatly routed into tubes like the ones used on cars and high voltage cords are routed down the opposite side of the cabinet (made by Sony). I am trying to keep it neat back there for reasons of easy access, ability for air to move within the cabinet and general tidiness. I sent a similar sounding email to Outlaw and they are considering it.

I have also asked them to consider including with their Componet cables some way of identifing Y, Pb, Pr. some colored shrink tube or something. Also asked them to include a clip of some type to keep the three together.

MeanGene's Home Theater

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited December 20, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#22945 - 12/20/02 10:35 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
MeanGene, I noticed you have a Panamax 5300...

How do you like it? Im buying 1 when I get the 950/770 combo and would like to hear from someone if its worth the $$...Thanks!

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#22946 - 12/20/02 11:36 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by SpOoNmAn:
MeanGene, I noticed you have a Panamax 5300...How do you like it?

I like the Panamax. We have gone through a couple of brown-outs and it did it's job. If I were to do it again I would want something that had more outlets. Also, the light on the voltage meter, I wish that it would turn off and on with the unit. It is either off all the time or on all the time.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#22947 - 12/21/02 01:21 AM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the quick reply..

I guess I'll have to get used to the light

#22948 - 12/21/02 01:47 AM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
It is either off all the time or on all the time.

True it's on/off all the time, but you can also dim it. My husband likes it on at full bright, because it looks ,....gaget-ie (I guess) I get tired of the electronic light pollution around the house. Too much blue/green/red/orange glowing everywhere and turn it down or off.

I have the panamax 3500 also. It seems to do its job. I recomend it. Once reason I bought it was too much invested in new pieces and the regularity of storms here and power (not just brownouts) but just the grid in the neighborhood bouncing on/off line. Had a week recently where I lost power from 2 to 20 min. 2-3 times a day for 3 days in calm weather.

One thing that attracted me to this unit was its all-in-one since I was in a hurry. Some solutions offered do not include antenna in. You have two on the 5300. If you run all 3 (cable,OTA,satelite) you'd be short one. I run OTA and satelite only. (A big backdoor you leave open if you don't protect your coaxial lines also).

#22949 - 12/21/02 11:19 AM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

You're right about the light, it is adjustable.

Here is a price on the Panamax, I have never used this retailer so I can't say if they are reputable. Panamax 5300

I just ordered two Toslink cables from Abuys, 1.0 meter. I was hoping for all Outlaw cables in the back, but 1.8 meter optical is a little too long for me. I was even trying to find a .5 meter but wasn't able to get the search engine there.

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited December 21, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#22950 - 12/21/02 01:48 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've been using a Panamax 5100 for eight or nine months now, and have been very satisfied with it. It lacks the front outlet of the 5300 and the analog meter, but aside from that it's very similar to the 5300.

------------------

#22951 - 12/21/02 05:11 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks MeanGene..you just saved me $60.00

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

[This message has been edited by SpOoNmAn (edited December 21, 2002).]

#22952 - 01/08/03 02:49 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
dixlon Offline
Gunslinger

Maybe you can make a suggestion to Outlaw to make a 1 meter version of their interconnects

Cheers

DixLon

#22953 - 01/08/03 08:10 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
DaveHo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I can vouch for Page Computer being a reputable place. I bought a Viewsonic monitor and an HP scanner from them about a month ago. The price was good, everything was in stock, and the shiping was quick.

-Dave

#22954 - 01/08/03 11:45 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
gonk Offline
Desperado

dixlon -- Outlaw actually created the 1.2-meter cables for just that reason (they fill the niche between 0.5-meter and 1.8-meter). True, they could have gone with 0.5, 1.0, and 2.0 meter lengths, but they don't call themselves outlaws for nothin'!

------------------

#22955 - 01/14/03 12:29 AM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Well I solved half the problem with a new Sony DVP CX875P 301 disk carousal which has coax and optical. I am using the coax output and the PSC comes in .5 meter. Now a nice .5 PDO to go to my Pany RP62 would be a nice match.

------------------
MeanGene's Home

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited January 14, 2003).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#22956 - 02/15/03 05:12 PM Re: Outlaw Cable Selection
marcvh Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The shortest optical cable I've seen was 3 feet long.

I've seen (and own) 2-foot long optical cables. Probably would only work in an open rack with has little if any cord management, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts