Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22932 - 11/16/02 02:37 PM Component Cables
tps123 Offline
Gunslinger

How do the outlaw PSC cables compare to BetterCables Silver Serpant component cable.

Is the Outlaw cable worht the extra cost.

Thanks
TPS

#22933 - 11/16/02 04:04 PM Re: Component Cables
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
I'm only a dog, so what do I know, but my master says that there is likely to be a considerable difference between using the BetterCables Silver Serpent Component and the Outlaw PSC.

* The Silver Serpent is not true silver, but rather a silver-coated/copper center construction. Since you are dealing wtih video in the frequency range up to 50 MHz tops, (as opposed to RF cable use where you can go to a gig) it is essential to have the center core have good conductivity. In essence, using coated cables for baseband applications is a waste. Outlaw is solid silver, all the way through to the core.

* You really can't compare the Silver Serpent COMPONENT to the PSC, as it is mini-coax, while the PSC is a full size coax. A better comparison would be to match the standard Silver Serpent composite video cable, which is full-sized, vs. the PSC. There, you have a distinct price difference in favor of Outlaw, with $49.99 for a 1.2 meter PSC vs. $79.99 for the Serpent. Multiply that times three and the economic weight goes clearly to the Outlaw. AND you still have the issue of silver coated vs. solid silver.

* Both appear to have impeadance matched, 75 ohm connectors, so that's a push.

In actual use, the difference should be slim to none, with the Outlaw probably having an edge. On cost, it's no contest: you'll save over $150 by going with Outlaw.

But, again, I'm only a dog...

ARF ARF says Iggy!

ARF, ARF says Iggy

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts