Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#22879 - 10/03/02 12:34 PM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
Raistlin_HT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Pink -

I'm at work, so I can't get into this right now ... but this weekend I'll detail some of the problems in your understanding.

There are a number of errors in your topic post, and I'm not sure if you are serious or just trolling, but I will explain some of the issues regarding interconnects for the benefit of those who care to listen.

I admit I am not an audiophile or an expert in interconnects, but I feel I do however have some understanding of the issues at hand ... and would like to counter your claims.

#22880 - 10/05/02 05:30 AM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
neuroaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin_HT:
Pink -

I'm at work, so I can't get into this right now ... but this weekend I'll detail some of the problems in your understanding.

There are a number of errors in your topic post, and I'm not sure if you are serious or just trolling, but I will explain some of the issues regarding interconnects for the benefit of those who care to listen.

A word of caution: this is a VERY controvertial topic. People's opinions run quite strong. While I don't personally take your post offensively, I want to warn you that using phrases like "problems in your understanding" and "errors in your topic post" presuppose a level of certainty in your position that I assure you you cannot substantiate -- not because you are "wrong," but because the data to unequivocally support your position (or the alternative) just does not exist.

Quote:

I admit I am not an audiophile or an expert in interconnects, but I feel I do however have some understanding of the issues at hand ... and would like to counter your claims.

The interconnect topic was discussed extensively in this thread by a number of people on both sides of the fence who have strong backgrounds in electrical engineering, experimental design and neurophysiology. Before you spend time crafting a post, you might find reading through this (rather lengthy) thread amusing, though I have no doubt that your opinion on the matter is unlikely to be swayed.

#22881 - 10/05/02 12:47 PM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
charlie Offline
Desperado

Human perception is a tricky thing. Think about the things that are wrong with the following paragraph:

I frequently eat dinner at a local restaurant 'X', and while the food is always very good, I notice that when I'm hungry, the food is better. If you ever want to really enjoy a meal there, call me before you go, I'll not eat and since I'm hungry the food will be better that night.

Have a good one.

#22882 - 10/10/02 12:33 PM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
So, to enjoy a happymeal, you must be just about dead from starvation.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#22883 - 10/11/02 11:26 AM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Hey! I like happy meals!

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#22884 - 10/24/02 09:44 PM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Maybe you are unable to hear the difference in a cable upgrade because you didn't properly break the cables in.

I just had to say that.

I know, I'm bad.

I'll go sit in the corner for a while.

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited October 24, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#22885 - 10/25/02 04:11 PM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Actually, the same works, too, for many types of food. Ever notice that pizza tastes better the next day? That's because to really enjoy it, you've got to let it "break in" in your fridge for 24 hours first.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#22886 - 11/17/02 01:14 AM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Wow, this was such an interesting topic I hated to see it die out so early.
I could go on to say yes, there appears to be 'some' difference in cables. I thought the info regarding the use of twisted pairs quite interesting and certainly supports a well founded theory on reducing the effects of EMI.
I still use Kimber 4TC , because so many audiophiles who assess speaker cables agree with me (haha!) but it does make a difference over lamp cord. Where they will argue to eternity over which is really a great high end cable. Interestingly, the 4TC is made up of multiple twisted pairs, and is reasonably priced.
Other differences, Bettercables for component and S-Video. I observed a better picture with Bettercables SVideo over an equivalent priced Monster cable. Enough of a difference, I did 3 swaps to make sure I was really seeing a difference. Now, it may also be related to the fact that the Bettercables had superior pin retention.
I use a IXOS combined (single jacket) for the 6 channel analog connection (DVD player to 5.1 input) for the convenience and excellent construction. For $70 I find it to be a great solution and takes away nothing from a fine audio presentation.
Lastly, I like the Outlaw cables, but would prefer a push-pull locking sleeve over a twisting sleeve, especially in tight spots.
But always liked the locking concept.
Better yet is the outer ground on an RCA connecting FIRST before the center conductor is inserted. Always better to 'ground' first in any electrical connection. There was a company producing such cables, but haven't heard about them in a while.
There is no doubt that cables can be a weak link, as they can be in any electrical or electronic system design. Look for good construction, good material (harder to assess but teflon insulation is a good start for coax) silver solder, look for clean and shiny connections, etc., you get the idea.
Burn in? Serious doubts myself, but on speakers for sure! After all they are largely mechanical devices.

#22887 - 11/17/02 11:29 AM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleB:
Wow, this was such an interesting topic I hated to see it die out so early.

Yes, it really is, but it's a really tough one to discuss in a calm and productive manner due to the seemingly inevitable switch to 'scream mode' that happens so quickly.

Audio is a pretty undemanding signal as far as low level signals go. Video is different. Speakers can be horrible loads.

Also, some 'exotic' cables are constructed in a way that colors their sound due to measurable characteristics. This would technically be distortion, although the difference is often interpreted as an improvement.

The famous DIY CAT5 speaker wires are in this category.

#22888 - 11/17/02 02:34 PM Re: interconnects - biggest scam in audio
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Sometimes it takes experimenting, and with hi-end dealers some may let you borrow some demos.
I never spent enough on cables to enjoy that luxury.
I read reviews, but when they start getting into the effects of the earth's magnetic field, I tend to walk away.
Mostly it's experimentation, and what works for YOU. Since cables are 'components' themselves, they are only one part of a total system.
But systems vary a lot, so who is to say what works for one will not work as well as for another?
Doubt I will ever get into it that deeply, more into the enjoyment of music and entertainment of movies than to spend much more time looking for the 'ultimate' cable.
That a more sophisticated system will show up cable deficiencies easier I suppose has some merit. But one man's "increased detail" could be another man's grunge.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 74 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM