Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22832 - 07/24/01 05:12 PM Cable info
ampeg66 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Hello, Outlaws

Any more info you can pass along on the cables? Types, configurations, lengths, connectors, pricing? Still on track for availability in the next couple weeks?

Thanks,
Andy
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Subwoofer
SA8300HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray Player | Apple TV

#22833 - 07/24/01 05:31 PM Re: Cable info
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Not a lot we can say ("we" being the other Outlaw users hanging out around here). From what I understand, they will be offering an audio interconnect ("PDA" model, from the latest news) that I think will have locking RCA plugs in 0.5 meter and 1.8 meter lengths and an optical cable in 0.5 meter and 1.8 meter lengths.

I don't know if the "PDA" cables are capable of acting as digital coax cables or if they are meant as analog cables only. If they are similar to the TMC White Label and Yellow Label interconnects they will be able to serve both purposes, but I think I'll ask Outlaw when I order a pair of "PDA" cables when they are available.

There's no news to contradict the word that they will start taking orders for the interconnects in a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to comparing the PDA's to the TMC cables I've been trying out lately (which, by the way, I have been enjoying a great deal -- I'll post some comments after I also try the PDA's).

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited July 24, 2001).]

#22834 - 07/24/01 09:36 PM Re: Cable info
Scott Offline
Desperado

Initial PDA offerings will be our "dual symmetrical, twisted pair construction" audio interconnects, designed specifically for analog audio use. Cables for digital audio (S/P-DIF) should be coax, and we are using a different construction. It would work, but not as well as we would recommend. You can use coax for audio, but not twisted pair for video or digital audio if you want proper connections.

We WILL have the PDO for TOS style optical digital audio, and that's their ONLY application.

As time goes on we will put the Outlaw spin on video cables, but for the moment we have chosen to keep with audio only.

AND: Don't forget that these will be "OCC Copper", using a special refining process that creates large single crystals rather than smaller fragmented ones. This will give them performance equal to, or better then, silver at a lower cost. Remember, also, the PDA will be 1.8 meters or .5 meters. The 1.8 meter length is the Outlaws' way of giving you MORE for your money. 1.8 meter length with higher quality and lower price than competitive 1.5 meter cables.

#22835 - 07/24/01 10:04 PM Re: Cable info
gonk Offline
Desperado

Thanks for the info, Scott! Definitely interested in seeing what these will be like. (Maybe even pairing up a set of them with analog output from an Outlaw DVD-A player one of these days?...)

#22836 - 07/25/01 01:17 AM Re: Cable info
ampeg66 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Howdy, Gonk and Scott

Thanks for your responses, I was kinda hopin' a full-fledged Outlaw might mosey on thru the forum and give us all a bit of an update. (I'm from Texas, so I can say that with a straight face and the appropriate accent. Y'all.)

I'm looking forward to getting a 750 and some cables soon, so I'm editing this to ask if there might be a solution for the 5-channel preamp-to-amp cable run.

Thanks again,
Andy

[This message has been edited by ampeg66 (edited July 25, 2001).]
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Subwoofer
SA8300HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray Player | Apple TV

#22837 - 10/30/01 04:53 PM Re: Cable info
Joshorr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA
I noticed that the Outlaws are coming out with interconnects and an optical digital cable. How about a digital coax cable? I am fairly new to HT and somebody told me that a good quality digital coax was "better" than most optical. What are the general feelings on the coax vs. optical debate?

~Joshorr

#22838 - 10/30/01 05:16 PM Re: Cable info
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshorr:
I noticed that the Outlaws are coming out with interconnects and an optical digital cable. How about a digital coax cable? I am fairly new to HT and somebody told me that a good quality digital coax was "better" than most optical. What are the general feelings on the coax vs. optical debate?

~Joshorr

Outlaw's analog interconnects (the "PCA") and optical digital interconnects ("PDO") are available now -- I'm looking forward to trying them out in my system (placed my order for a 0.5m PCA pair and a PDO this morning, in fact). From what I've read about the PCA, the method of construction (twisted pair) is not compatible with video or digital audio signals, which means they would have to design a separate cable to handle digital coax.

As for the coax vs. optical debate, I've heard the same "coax is better" you have. Personally, I've tried several different coax and optical cables (including using a DVD player that offers both coax and optical, so the hardware is consistent throughout). The only cable I've ever found that seemed to add anything to the quality of the digital signal was a TMC White Label cable (which actually seems nicer sounding for digital coax than the slightly pricier Yellow Label); every other digital cable I've used (Monster and BetterCables, coax and optical from both) has been almost identical to the others. I like coax more when I use the White Label, but I was never able to tell the difference between coax and optical otherwise. Hope that helps.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM