Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22785 - 03/12/06 12:50 PM ICBM Discontinued...Why?
Zekeman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL
I just learned this...why was this product discontinued if it was so successful?

#22786 - 03/12/06 03:12 PM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't think they said specifically why it was discontinued. It's possible that with the evolution of surround processor/receiver bass management and of universal DVD-A/SACD player bass management they saw a drop in sales volume that couldn't justify manufacturing and stocking a new batch of them. Of course, there could also be a true 7.1 successor in the works in preparation for Blu-ray and HD-DVD that kept them from producing a new batch.

#22787 - 03/26/06 08:52 PM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
BradJudy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm bummed to see this, especially since the ICBM was one of the only ways to setup true stereo subwoofers on a multichannel system. While all of the Outlaw electronics have good bass management, none of them allow for the setup of stereo subs the way the ICBM did.

Maybe I'll pick up a used one once the current rush for used ones is over (one on eBay at the moment is going for well more than the retail price).

#22788 - 03/27/06 01:48 PM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome to the Hideout, Brad! It's good to have a fellow Ascend forum member here. You are right, someone listed an ICBM on the AV123 forum for $275. You responded to my posting on the Ascend forum regarding the Panny XR55......... wink

#22789 - 08/15/06 12:26 AM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
ACE Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

okay, sorry to revive this thread, but the pricing on the used ICBMs is getting ridiculous. One just finished on ebay for over $400. Obviously there is still a demand for these units. I would buy one next week if I could find one at a reasonable price. The official Outlaw response has been that there was a drop in demand and that it cost $$$ simply to make and stock this item. I have a reasonable solution: increase the price on the ICBM. Then Outlaw could plan to sell lower numbers but still make sure that they don't take a loss on the price. Again, people are willing to spend $300-$400 on ebay (consistently) because there is still nothing that can replace the ICBM. I see no reason why Outlaw should not continue to offer this item themselves at an understandably increased price..

#22790 - 08/15/06 08:19 AM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
For those that would need an ICBM-type device in the near future, I could see adding another channel as a way to stay current. The ICBM maximum capability was 6.1 input and 6.2 output, whereas 7.2 would be needed to maintain marketability today. Higher cost, yes, but then more saleable as well. I suppose one would need to have both the usual unbalanced connections version, and a balanced connections option. If a 7.2 outboard balanced/unbalanced 'converter' were sold by Outlaw, the 7.2 ICBM and Converter could be sold as a pair, or as individual devices. Me thinks there is a market for those wishing to use balanced lines for their longer cable runs while not limiting themselves to equipment that comes with balanced connections, so separate boxes for 'converting' either way would be needed.

#22791 - 10/28/06 03:37 AM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
mgrobins Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Australia
Hi,

I'm from Australia and am stumped trying to find an analogue bass management system such as the ICBM.

I use a Marantz DV9500 which does offer some bass management by setting speakers to "small" and having a fixed crossover at 80Hz. I find this a very poor choice for my speakers and would rather have the sub integrated at a lower frequency with flexibility to have different setups for fronts/center/surround.

Why oh why did you stop making this product!

Bass management in SACD/DVD-A players seems to be rudimentary at best and the options in some receivers/pre-pro's are digitizing the signal then providing you your analogue signal back so it defeats the whole purpose!

Is Outlaw going to offer a new version of the ICBM or can someone at least point me toward a reasonable solution?

cheers.

#22792 - 10/28/06 08:39 AM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The ICBM was really the only product that provided multichannel analog bass management as far as I've seen. There were some two-channel devices like Paradigm's X-30 (which may also be discontinued now, come to think of it).

#22793 - 10/28/06 08:07 PM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Rod Elliott of Elliott Sound Products has quite a bit of do-it-yourself plans and is located 'down under.' If you're not into DIY, he may have 'local' information. http://sound.westhost.com/

#22794 - 10/28/06 09:06 PM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
mgrobins Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Australia
Thanks guys. I'll look around.

IT's strange that outlaw felt this was a product not worth pursuing. I just can't see anything around that offers such flexibility - and in the analogue domain so no PCM conversion or any of the fluffing around with signals that seems to occur with many of the poorly implemented solutions in the players and receivers hitting the market.

At least mine has a fixed x-over at 80Hz so i'm not totally stymied like some folks.

#22795 - 07/20/07 03:09 PM Re: ICBM Discontinued...Why?
BrianL Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just re-introduced my ICBM into my HT rig due to inconsistent BM on my Panasonic BR player (it does not function with TrueHD or DTS-HD).

The ICBM started out life in my HT room when I got my first universal player, then moved to my 2CH rig when I bought a Denon 3910, which had good quality on board BM.

But the Panny takes a step back in the BM department, thus the ICBM is back in the HT room.

Methinks Outlaw could sell a bunch of these, or a successor, if it were re-introduced.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM