Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22767 - 01/16/06 07:46 PM Dazed and confused about SACD playback
mebryant Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have been reading the posts concerning the ICBM and SACD playback. I have an ICBM between my reciever and universal player. So far the sound has been disappointing. I'm sure its something that I'm doing or not doing. The other parts of my system are: Outlaw 7100, Outlaw 1070, Outlaw sub, the smaller of the two. When I want to play an SACD disc I switch the receiver to 7.1 ext, then go to menu to switch the surround mode to "bypass", then play with the switch on the back of receiver for bass managemnet, then climb over the couch to switch the sub to "crossover off". The easiest part of this is putting the disc into the player. When I'm done listening to the disc, again flip switches back and go to the menu to reset to DVD. When I disengage the 7.1 buttton on the remote, the DVD setting in setup goes to optical 1. My DVD player is connected to coax 2. What am I doing wrong? I do love my Outlaw gear! Thanks for your help.

#22768 - 01/16/06 08:37 PM Re: Dazed and confused about SACD playback
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You are adding a lot of steps that you don't need, which I'm guessing is part of the problem. You have the ICBM in the right place, but you need to leave the bass management switch set to bypass (it only affects the 7.1 direct input, which you are only using with the ICBM and universal player). Likewise, you should be able to leave the crossover on your sub set to "off" all the time - you are handling bass management at either the 1070 or the ICBM, so you should lever need the sub's crossover. You also don't need to change the surround mode to "bypass" - simply selecting the 7.1 direct input puts you in a bypass mode, and changing that setting has no effect on the 1070's mode. As for the DVD input changing, I suspect it is being caused by the trip into the menu to change the surround mode - set the DVD input to coax2 in the menu and it should stay that way. While you're there, make sure auto-poll is turned off for this input.

To recap: Set the bass management switch to "bypass," set the sub crossover off, and when you want to listen to an SACD or a DVD-Audio disc, put the disc in the player and select the 7.1 direct mode on the 1070. When you're done, press "7.1" again to go back to normal mode for teh DVD input.

As to the sound, I'd suggest that you may need to tweak the crossover points a bit more. What speakers do you have, and what are your crossovers currently set to?

#22769 - 01/16/06 10:24 PM Re: Dazed and confused about SACD playback
mebryant Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you for the quick and detailed explanation. I'm using Quad 11Ls for my fronts and Quad 12Ls for the surrounds along with a Quad center channel. I'm using 80 for the crossover in the menu options.I have a smaller setup in another room with the same universal player and an Arcam 200 receiver, matched with Quad 11Ls for the fronts. The Sacd sound is stunning! Thanks again for your help.

#22770 - 01/16/06 11:16 PM Re: Dazed and confused about SACD playback
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you are using 80Hz crossovers across the board, I'd suggest playing with those settings a bit. I couldn't find a lot on your Quad's, but I did find some info on both at tnt-audio - the 11L apparently starts to roll of sharply at 80Hz, while the 12L goes down to 70Hz before starting to roll off more gradually. You've got the ability to use a different crossover both at the ICBM and in the 1070's digital bass management - you might give 100Hz or even 120Hz a whirl just for fun.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts