Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22747 - 12/28/05 11:48 PM 2-channel stereo w/ SACD and CD
Mr_D Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Marietta, GA
Hi!
I'm interested in adding a pair of LFM-2 subs to my two-channel audio system. I am wondering if I would gain any benefit by using the ICBM and have several questions. My components are as follows:

- B&K PT5 pre-amp
- Two Outlaw monoblocks
- Sony SACD player, scd-ce595
- Monitor Audio Silver 3 "bookshelf" speakers
- Infinity BU2 10" subwoofer (to be replaced by the LFM-2s)

The PT5 has some base management:
a pair of outputs labeled "high pass",
a pair of outputs labeled "full range",
a "sub" output, and a "L+R mono" output.

Currently, I connect the speakers to the high pass output and the old Infinity BU2 subwoofer to the sub output.

Here are my questions:
1. For this system, would the ICBM provide value?
2. Would it manage bass for SACDs and normal CDs?
3. How would the ICBM be hooked up? By that I mean would it be placed between the cd player and the pre-amp? or between the pre-amp and the monoblocks?
4. How would the pair of LFM-2s be hooked up?

I appreciate any help with these questions as well as any other insight. Thanks!

#22748 - 12/29/05 12:43 AM Re: 2-channel stereo w/ SACD and CD
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Since you only have one source, the ICBM could go either between the SACD player and the pre-amp or between pre-amp and amp, but if you put it between pre-amp and amp then the sub volume will track the main volume (since the ICBM is downstream of the pre-amp's volume control).

I'm not familiar enough with the PT5 to know exactly what it does on the high pass, full range, and sub outputs, but I can offer some thoughts on what the ICBM would do for you. The benefit of the ICBM over the PT5 probably lies in two areas: adjustable crossover point (so you can tweak the crossover to best match your Monitor Audio speakers), and the ability to have stereo subs (so that the low frequency from the left channel is routed to the left sub and from the right channel is routed to the right sub). You could connect the full range outputs of the PT5 to the left and right inputs of the ICBM, then go to the amp and go from the left and right sub outputs to the two LFM-2's.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts