Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22710 - 09/11/05 01:01 PM ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
Ajax Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I've got my ICBM hooked up in the conventional manner, between my universal player and my receiver. I use my receiver's bass management for everything other than SACD and DVD-A.

A friend on the Axiom forum asked about using the ICBM for all bass management with only a receiver. The manual mentions nothing about this type of hookup, but I found this in the FAQ.

In cases where a receiver provides both "preamp out" and "main amp in" jacks for ALL channels, the ICBM is inserted between those connections. Note, however, that while many current receivers feature preamp outputs, only a few models at the high end offer a full complement of amplifier input jacks. Please check to make certain that your receiver is compatible with this type of installation when you do not use an external power amplifier with a receiver. Note that when using this type of installation, the processor or receiver's bass management settings should all be configured for "large" so that a full range signal is passed though to the ICBM.

So, I'd guess it is possible. He's running an HK 635 which does have 8 channel pre outs, and 8 channel direct inputs. If he hooked up an ICBM between the two, other than the setting all speakers to large as mentioned above, what else would he have to do with receiver settings to use the ICBM for everything, like TV sound, Radio, DVDs? Would he have to enable and then select the multichannel inputs for each source? What are the positives and negatives about hooking things up this way.

He'll be monitoring this thread. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

#22711 - 09/11/05 02:40 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There is an important difference between direct inputs and main amp inputs, unfortunately - main amp inputs allow you to connect directly to the internal amp sections, while "direct inputs" typically refer to the multuchannel analog input used for DVD-Audio, SACD, or any other analog audio source. Unfortunatwly, from looking at the rear panel of the HK 635 , the 8 channel input available here is not a main amp input. The only way to use an ICBM with a receiver like the 635 is to have a separate amp.

#22712 - 09/11/05 04:11 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
RickF Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Florida
Gonk, that's the conclusion a couple of us on the Axiom site (including Ajax) finally came up with, thanks for the help. We've also concluded the only help the ICBM (ordered but not yet received) will do with my particular H/K AVR635/Denon 2910 5.1 system will allow me to have bass management for SACD/DVD-A only, correct?

We've also concluded whenever I purchase and connect a 5 ch amp I will then be able to have bass management for the complete system via the ICBM....correct?

Thanks! Rick

#22713 - 09/11/05 04:35 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
wid Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Wilmington Il USA
Quote:
We've also concluded whenever I purchase and connect a 5 ch amp I will then be able to have bass management for the complete system via the ICBM....correct?
I believe this to be correct also.Until you get an external amp you will only be able to use the Icbm from dvd player to receiver.Thus only having the Icbm doing it's duty for sacd and dvd-a playback.Get to it Rick and get that amp laugh

#22714 - 09/11/05 04:46 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
RickF Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by wid:
[QUOTE]Get to it Rick and get that amp laugh
Still waiting around for that loan from you there, partner. Let me guess, 'check is in the mail', right? :p

#22715 - 09/11/05 04:57 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
wid Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Wilmington Il USA
eek You mean to tell me you didn't get it yet :p

#22716 - 09/11/05 05:04 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
We've also concluded the only help the ICBM (ordered but not yet received) will do with my particular H/K AVR635/Denon 2910 5.1 system will allow me to have bass management for SACD/DVD-A only, correct?
That is absolutely correct.
Quote:
That would be true, but I'm curious why you would need an ICBM for sources other than DVD-A or SACD with the AVR-635 - it appears to already offer bass management options similar to the ICBM. (Page 29 of the manual shows a speaker crossover screen with separate crossover points for mains, center, surrounds, and surround back.

#22717 - 09/11/05 05:37 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
Ajax Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
There is an important difference between direct inputs and main amp inputs, unfortunately
I feared that might be the case. And, curse me for a fool, I KNEW that the 635 had good bass management. Just the other day I was researching that. I simply forgot about it. DUH! shocked What a dolt! It's old age, I tell you, old age. laugh

Thank you, gonk.

#22718 - 09/11/05 05:53 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
RickF Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

QUOTE]That would be true, but I'm curious why you would need an ICBM for sources other than DVD-A or SACD with the AVR-635 - it appears to already offer bass management options similar to the ICBM. (Page 29 of the manual shows a speaker crossover screen with separate crossover points for mains, center, surrounds, and surround back. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Actually you are correct, the 635 does have excellent bass management but I thought since by the time I'll get the amp and since I'll already have the ICBM I was also thinking that by incorporating it into the whole system it would take care of the SACD/DVD-A issue and if the ICBM's management is similar to that of the H/K I'll use it simply for the ease of operation by having all of dials of ICBM at the ready whereas with the H/K I'd have to dig into the OSD menu.
*Since I already would have the ICBM*

Does this sound about right, or would the ICBM need to tend to the needs of SACD/DVD-A only?

#22719 - 09/11/05 06:01 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
gonk Offline
Desperado

The only reason to use the receiver's bass management instead of the ICBM for digital inputs to the receiver is time delay - I've seen recommendations against having any time delay upstream of the ICBM, which means you'd have to set the speaker distances the same on all channels. If your speakers were roughly equidistant from your listening position, this would not be a problem and the ICBM would work fine between receiver and amp. If you have a significant difference in distances it might be better to keep the bass management in the receiver in order to benefit from the delay adjustments, in which case the ICBM could still take care of your DVD-Audio and SACD needs.

#22720 - 09/11/05 07:19 PM Re: ICBM for all bass management - receiver only
RickF Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The only reason to use the receiver's bass management instead of the ICBM for digital inputs to the receiver is time delay - I've seen recommendations against having any time delay upstream of the ICBM, which means you'd have to set the speaker distances the same on all channels. If your speakers were roughly equidistant from your listening position, this would not be a problem and the ICBM would work fine between receiver and amp. If you have a significant difference in distances it might be better to keep the bass management in the receiver in order to benefit from the delay adjustments, in which case the ICBM could still take care of your DVD-Audio and SACD needs.
Thanks for your input and knowledge Gonk....looks like it will be an ICBM taking care of the SACD/DVD-A business end of the system!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM